Things that you thought you would never never do (or say)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by double-or-nothing, Sep 10, 2007.

1. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

So, my girls are finishing up their lunch and I'm washing dishes at the sink to turn around and find a bunch of apple pieces on the floor. Knowing full well that Arwen was the culprit of this act, I take her out of her highchair and tell her "help mommy clean this up." So she starts to pick the pieces up and put them in my hands and then proceeds to eat the rest of them off the floor. :rolleyes: At first I was like "don't eat them off the floor" which I've said countless times and then I was just like, "whatever, go to town girl. Eat away. Couldn't eat it when it was on your tray but you'll eat it off the floor huh?"

It's just funny because before I had kids and when they were really really young, I would have never in a million years thought that I would allow my child to eat food off the floor. It's amazing what you just learn to let slide or not feel is such a big deal as time goes by. With my next kid I swear I'm just going to PUT all the food on the floor and let him/her eat that way. It will be one less thing to clean! :laughing:

2. prettybaby25

prettybaby25 Well-Known Member

Oh there are too many to list but my big ones are:

Letting them watch TV and videos - it took 2 years but I got PG again and moved into a new house all in the same month...

Letting them eat junk food - chips and cookies. It is easy to feed them for a snack on the go..

Hoping they still turn out OK (LOL!)

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd wipe their snotty noses, stick the kleenex in my pocket, then use it 5 minutes later on my own nose. :fool: (I do try not to do this -- but sometimes I forget.)

Also swore I would never refer to myself in the third person, but I do it ALL the time.

4. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Sep 10 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]401706[/snapback]
    Also swore I would never refer to myself in the third person, but I do it ALL the time.

Me too! It used to grate on my nerves when I heard mothers say "Give that to Mommy. Mommy has to go in the other room, blah blah" but that's all I say all day!
    I never thought I would let my kids watch TV, eat off the floor (they eat their snack in the family room, and it always ends up on the floor), eat fries (I always thought that was awful) or have pacifiers as long as they did.

5. melslp13

melslp13 Well-Known Member

OH my, the lists could go ON AND ON... I too thought I would never refer to myself in third person, and now I wonder if the kids will have pronoun problems because they won't know the words "I" or "me,"...
    I said I woud...
    Never ever use pacifiers- Sarah's addicted
    Never have a room dedicated to toys other than their bedroom... our dining AND living rooms are kid zones
    Never use plug protectors ("they can learn to avoid them if taught properly")- DUH! What was I thinking!
    Never use bottles (I was a breastfeeding nazi)- They ate bottles from 1 mo. on d/t latching problems
    Never watch t.v.- They're Baby Einstein addicts, though they only get 1/2 hour a day
    Never need playgroups cause they're twins- DUH! I gotta get out of the house sometime!

DH also said he'd never change a diaper- That changed on day one after the kids were born, and usually he's quite the stubborn one!

6. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

Well, Ava bit Olivia on the bum yesterday and I must admit I was laughing on the inside as I was screaming

"We DO NOT bite bums in this house!"

Too funny. Poor Olivia though, she left a mark.

7. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd touch poop with my bare hands....long story, had to do it...

Never thought I'd say to someone "Let me get your boogies!" & feel like I just HAD to get them

and I never thought I could love someone SO much :) :)

8. Rachel&Emily

Rachel&Emily Well-Known Member

I never in a million years thought that I would go after boogers in another persons' nose.

I never thought that I would realize that my German Shepard would be a better vaccum than the one I own.

I never thought that I would actually ask someone if they "dropped that deuce yet" before 6am.

I never thought that paying for daycare would equal out to just about my house payment.

alexis

9. mrsjo

mrsjo Well-Known Member

My mother in law told me when I got pregnant with my oldest boy THAT~ when my boys got the urge to touch thier privates and get the natural reaction~that I should tell them:
    "Don't touch that, let is sleep so that it can grow!"

Now, First, I am thinking that it is going to be a long way off, so
    "being the mature Mom that I am going to strive to be"
    (open with the sex issues that my parents were not open about)
    I made extreme fun of this statement's obvious old fashioned tone.
    I did not grow up with boys, just sisters, so I had no idea that this was going to be such a problem from the time they develop feeling :banana: in thier privates. WOW :icon_eek:
    The first time my one year old was happily playing with his privates in front of friends: I blurted out the first thing that I could I could think of:
    which was...
    Let it sleep so it can grow! UGH! :blush:

Never thought I would say something like that, but 12 years later I have abused many, many old parental phrases and parental habits. Maybe the old folks knew a little bit about kids after all. :bow2:

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(avaoliviamom @ Sep 11 2007, 02:04 AM) [snapback]402018[/snapback]
    "We DO NOT bite bums in this house!"

:rotflmbo: (So where do you bite them?)

I read a parenting book recently (can't decide yet whether I liked it or not) that suggested not using statements that are obviously untrue -- like "We don't eat off the floor" -- which makes the child think, "Well duh mom, of course we eat off the floor -- what does it look like I'm doing right now?" :D

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mrsjo @ Sep 11 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]403101[/snapback]
    My mother in law told me when I got pregnant with my oldest boy THAT~ when my boys got the urge to touch thier privates and get the natural reaction~that I should tell them:
    "Don't touch that, let is sleep so that it can grow!"

Now, First, I am thinking that it is going to be a long way off, so
    "being the mature Mom that I am going to strive to be"
    (open with the sex issues that my parents were not open about)
    I made extreme fun of this statement's obvious old fashioned tone.
    I did not grow up with boys, just sisters, so I had no idea that this was going to be such a problem from the time they develop feeling :banana: in thier privates. WOW :icon_eek:
    The first time my one year old was happily playing with his privates in front of friends: I blurted out the first thing that I could I could think of:
    which was...
    Let it sleep so it can grow! UGH! :blush:

Never thought I would say something like that, but 12 years later I have abused many, many old parental phrases and parental habits. Maybe the old folks knew a little bit about kids after all. :bow2:

:rofl: That is a good one, made me giggle. I am going to have to use that one day...hopefully not soon!

12. mmhzmom

mmhzmom Well-Known Member

Well, off the top, I was thinking about what I said I would never do that my parents said, alas I have heard them roll off my tounge with such ease it frightened me. Here are a couple of my most hated, and yet most used "never will I say that to my kids" phrases.

"Don't be sorry, don't do it."

After a complaint about something in a meal. "I woke up today and thought, how can I really upset (what ever child is the offender). I know, we will have _________ for dinner today." Usually said with jest, but man I hated it when my mom said that to me.

Other things I never thought I would do -

stay at home with my kids

wipe snotty noses with my bare hands when a kleenex is not in my reach

Actively inspect poopie diapers

I never knew how cool it is to watch my kids learn new things

13. Holdentwins

Holdentwins Well-Known Member

the words "dont lick the laptop" actually came out of my mouth today...

14. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Lick my finger and then use it to wipe dirt/food/dried boogers of a child's face
    Hold my child up and sniff my kid's butt in public

And one that I have stuck to and never done (because it alway pissed me off when people did this in my house before I had kids) - I will not change my child's diaper at another person's house and put it in the kitchen garbage without first asking if there's another garbage can I can use.

-Rachel

15. melslp13

Wipe snotty noses with my shirt b/c I can't find a hankie. That's still yucky, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

16. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

Sniff someone's butt to see if they pooped! :good:

17. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

This is cute!

My 6 yr old didn't talk untill he was 4 and I never ever thought I would ask him "don't talk so much". :rolleyes:

18. melslp13

I got another one, today I said: "don't put that fish down your dress!"

19. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Holdentwins @ Sep 12 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]404219[/snapback]
    the words "dont lick the laptop" actually came out of my mouth today...

LOL! I have to say "don't lick the TV" more times than I like.

20. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

and I never thought I could love someone SO much :) :)
    [/quote]

That's great, I love it!

I swore I would never let them sleep in our bed, but sometimes I go and get them b/c I miss them. ;)

21. melslp13

QUOTE(brandycaviness @ Sep 13 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]406378[/snapback]
    I swore I would never let them sleep in our bed, but sometimes I go and get them b/c I miss them. ;)

Awwww! Too sweet!

22. duranjt

duranjt Well-Known Member

Let's see...our current one is "We do not splash in the toilet" and for some reason, all of our kids have liked to drink the bath water...so we have our favorite "The tub water IS NOT yummy!!" (my second daughter used to argue with us saying, "but the tub water is yummy!" when we told her not to drink it!)

ahhhh....the things we say!
    :) NIcole

23. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(brandycaviness @ Sep 13 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]406378[/snapback]

:wub: That is so sweet!