Things I never knew ....

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by heathertwins, May 1, 2008.

1. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

My mom recently came to visit and it made me realize all the things about babies I didn't know. I'm sure there are many of us who don't have family to offer "good" advice so I thought I'd start this thread.... These are things I didn't know.

1. I didn't know you could feed a sleeping baby

2. pears & figs are great to prevent constipation

3. they sleep really well on their tummy ( yes SIDS I know )

4. babies don't like a poopy diaper -- yes I do change their bottom often ... but why poop & not pee ?

Heather

2. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

I never knew 7 week old babies would enjoy Elmo and Baby Einstein so much LOL Lucas right now is in the bouncy seat watching Sesame Street, cooing and smiling away. I have found if I am having to feed one baby when not his brother, I can get a good 15 to 20 minutes with Baby Einstein dvds.

Dianna

3. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I didn't know that breastfed babies don't need to poop very often. One of my girls goes 5-6 days between dirty diapers.

4. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

I simply didn't know how in love I could be with my babies.

I didn't know that I had enough love for a third.

5. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

1. I never knew that babies are born without eye brows or lashes. Someone made the comment after they were born about
    how "weird" they looked without them.

2. I never knew how fast their nails grow. I'm clipping them at least two times per week. Just this morning, Josh woke with
    a big mark on his chin & Jake has a one on his nose.

3. Babies don't need to poop every day. Jake can go 2 days without one and when he does, it's fine.

4. Never knew I'd spend so much time worrying about poop. :lol:

5. I never knew I could love them as much as I do. I could not imagine having just one, they are both so special.

6. mandyanna

mandyanna Well-Known Member

1) Never knew someonelse's poop would be so interesting! :p

2) Never knew I would use SO many wipes!

3) Never knew I would worry how cute they look in public! I am one of those people that thought as long as they are warm and dressed who cares if they match! I spend an hour finding just the right outfit for an occassion!

4) This is a gal who NEVER wanted a husband or kids HA I think God has a wonderful sense of humor, So I guess I never knew I would fall head over heels for DH and beg to have his babies! I never knew I was meant to be a twin mommy!

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never knew that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC 's has the same tune...

I never knew that you can actually lay a baby down awake and they will go to sleep...wish I would have known that with my first dd, I spend an eternity rocking an over tired baby!

Other then that...I know everything....NOT!

8. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

1. I never knew that keeping a newborn/month or two up all day so they would sleep all night DOES NOT WORK I REPEAT DON'T TRY THIS IT DOES NOT WORK!

2. And just how interesting poop would be, how often, colour, texture........facinating stuff!

3. I never knew just how much I would love them and think of them and be so emotional when anything bad happens to any child anywhere.

Erica

9. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Lesley Anne @ May 1 2008, 09:48 AM) [snapback]750081[/snapback]
    I never knew that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC 's has the same tune...

And Baa, Baa Black Sheep. :)

10. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

1. NEVER knew, till my twins, that poop could be 4-5 different colors at once even though they are on the same formula they have been on since birth.. :blink:

2. That newborns can hate country music and love the hard core crap that the daddy likes at 3am!

11. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DebDai @ May 1 2008, 10:57 AM) [snapback]750194[/snapback]
    2. That newborns can hate country music and love the hard core crap that the daddy likes at 3am!

That's probably because the "hard core crap that daddy likes" has a faster beat. :) Studies have shown that babies like music that averages 120 beats/min. I'm a music teacher, so that's why I know these weird little tidbits.

12. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It never occurred to me that babies would "pass gas" all the time! Now of course it makes sense that they don't know to be quiet about it, but it still cracks me up when we are somewhere quiet and all of a sudden you hear several loud "toots" and it's from our baby girls! :laughing:

13. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

I'm surprised how easily amused they get over the littlest things. My DD sneezed, I said "bless you" in a animated voice that I do with them, she started laughing. either from my voice or the feel of a sneeze. Not sure.

14. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I never knew they would have such a personality so young -- from birth !! I guess I thought babies acted like babies and they were all the same.

It was months before I put them on the floor not sure why ....

Feeding a baby and watching their expressions with each taste & textures is really fun.

15. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I never knew anything about reflux and now well...I know lots :)

16. two little pigs

two little pigs New Member

I never knew there was such a thing as a growth spurt - whoa was I shocked to learn that one!!! And that there are a few of them!!!

I never knew how much harder (heartbreaking??) it is to hear your own child(ren) cry compared to someone else's child.

I never knew I had the strength to be a twin mum.

17. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Beth*J @ May 1 2008, 12:02 PM) [snapback]750206[/snapback]
    That's probably because the "hard core crap that daddy likes" has a faster beat. :) Studies have shown that babies like music that averages 120 beats/min. I'm a music teacher, so that's why I know these weird little tidbits.

What types of music would that be? :)

Dianna

18. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

things I didn't know.....

1. That my maternal instinct to protect and be with my children would be stronger than any other feeling I ever had. I read somewhere that being a mother is like wearing your heart on the outside, and I totally agree.

2. That two babies could be so different.

3. That babies can respond to the slightest change in your mood - even if you are trying to hide it.

4. That my body could look fairly similar to before I had the twins - minus the scar.

5. That I would lose my 'mojo'.......it's still M.I.A. ( i had heard but didn't believe it ;) )

6. That you could 'forget' to eat.

7. That you could get so tired that it was almost impossible to string a sentence together.

8. That I could get so frustrated I wanted to smash things.

9. That having twins would be so hard

10. That babies could spew so much without actually being sick.

there are more......I think I basically knew nothing!!!!

19. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

Ditto that I never knew taking care of twins would be so hard!

I never knew I could miss them so much when I am away

I never thought someone would actually LIKE my singing! :)