They can open doors - eek!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Feb 8, 2010.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

My DD has figured out how to open up doors, so the bathrooms, kitchen and bedrooms are no longer "off limits" - our door handles are the long handle type (not the round door knob type) so all she has to do is pull down on the handle and the doors open, and it is not an option to change them - so can anyone offer advice on how to keep DD out of the rooms with closed doors??

2. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Lock them. That's what we had to do. We have to use the deadbolt on the front and back doors (thouh they are tall enough to reach even that now) But their bedroom, we even had to turn the door handle around so it locks on the outside instead of the inside becuase they know how to unlock the doors as well.

As for the rest of the house we just keep those little door keys hidden where we can get them but the kids can't, and just lock the doors from the inside....

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had to lock ours too and we also put the latch locks on the other side, in case we have to go downstairs to change out the wash and don't want the kids following us down.

4. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I have these on most of my lever doors. I don't know why it has so many bad reviews but I've had them on my doors since they were around 15 months. They have yet to figure out how to slide the lock and hopefully they never will.

You do have to take the handle off to install, but I was able to do them all by myself.

ETA: You do have to make sure you hear a "click" when you lock it. There have been times I did not move the lock all the way over and they were able to open the door.

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We have lever locks, which helped for a while. But alas the boys can now open them by either unlocking them or by just hanging on the handles until the little keys inside the lock break. We lock some doors. We gate them into their room at nap and bedtime, but they can now open the gate too. IT's not possible to completely baby proof. I've had four boys. Every single one of them figured out all the baby locks very quickly. They have yet to make a lock that they can't use.
    I hope you have less adventursome children!

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I would put a latch at the top of the door, then you wouldn't need a key. You could use a simple hook and eye one or maybe a chain lock (although in that case you'd have to make sure the chain wasn't allowing the door to open wide enough for them to slip through). I've also know people who turned their door handles upside-down, meaning you need to push the handle up instead of pulling it down to get it to open. It's possible your daughter could figure that out, but it might be worth a try if you don't want to drill into the doors/frames to install locks.

7. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

we don't want locks on our doors (cuz the little ones might lock themselves in somewhere!) so we had latches installed at the top of the doors. inside and out. we also have baby gates on most things because it gets hot in the house (at least in summer) w/all the doors closed.

gl!