They Are Starting Preschool

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cheezewhiz24, Jul 28, 2013.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are less than 2 weeks away from my boys starting preschool through Denver Public Schools. I'm not super-duper thrilled with the school but am trying to be optimistic that new leadership will help. I think the boys will do well but I'm struggling with the expectations and prep for school.

Registration was Friday- I was notified Wednesday. When I got there with my 4 pages of forms filled out, there were two 12 page packets to fill out.

Today I ordered school uniforms for both boys- 12 shirts for $63.00. (Yet another case where twins are not buy-one-get-one!)

School supplies and new backpacks are next on my list. It's surprising to me that preschoolers are wearing a uniform and expected to buy school supplies, but here we are.

I'm worried that I'm going to be dropping them off late regularly; as I seem to run 5-10min late habitually. It's tough- for the last 4 years I've kind of lived on my own schedule and now it's sinking in that we will be on the school's schedule, not mine.

Anybody else struggling with this stuff?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh I will be! For the last almost 6 years, I've marched to the beat of my own drum! Ha! The boys did preschool, but they were afternoon. And even then, I had a hard time getting out the door in a fashionably on time manner!

Now? The fall?!? Omg. All three kids will need to be at school for 9:05 am! All three! What are we usually doing at 9 am?!? No one is dressed and what's for breakfast is the topic!

So-I am right there with you!! I just may become a coffee drinker yet! ;)

3. cheezewhiz24

Meaghan, they still nap, right? How did they do with napping and PM preschool? We are doing PM preschool as well.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes they still nap. :) No tomatoes please! Hahaha!

When in school, no naps on those days. Wednesday there was no school so they napped. On school days, if we went anywhere directly after school(or even later in the day) they would pass out. In terms of behavior, etc, it has never really been a problem with lack of sleep(we.are.so.busy!).

I know my days of napping are numbered, at least with the boys. I think may be able to get them to nap after school (get out at 11:45 am) for at least a few weeks. I hope. ;)

5. cheezewhiz24

Wednesdays they get out at 2p, so I'll probably try to have them nap then and on weekends (it's a 5day preschool).

We don't have tons of behavior issues with naps, either, but they start yawning now around 11:30a! I wouldn't have minded am preschool but the school does a spanish-speaking class in the am so this was my only choice.

6. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck boys!! :banana:

7. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Congrats. U will have more free time alone. It's normal to be concern about everything. But relax. Everything will go well.

My kids go to preschool right after thy turned 3. I was so worried about everything: bathroom accidents, napping, eating,.. But they adapted very soon. And now they beg to go to school all the time

We don't have to buy school applies. I guess because its public school. So u have to. I got them just 12 inch backbags and lunch boxes. Actually 10 inch backbags should be fine. They don't have many stuffs to carry every day. My kids go full time from 8:30-5:30. They bring their blankets (for nap time) to school on Monday and bring back home on Friday. My kids always nap (2-4 hrs) everyday. So they don't have problem with napping at school. However, at nap time, all kids are required to lay down, lights out. U will be surprised that they will nap a school. :)

My day start at 7. I wake up cook breakfast, lunch, pack their lunch. Then wake them up. They have 20 mins to finish their breakfast. Then we change then we go. We live 7 mins away from school.

School starts from 9:30-11:30, lunch, nap, then school time again until like 2:30. Then they free play until 5:30.

U will be surprised how they will do so well and follow their teacher directions at school. Just chill and start planing what you will do when they are at school. :). Good luck

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We started pre-school last year and I was so nervous even though they had gone to daycare 3 days a week for a year before and even though our pre-school is very play-based and we all love it. The transition is hard, hardest for mom though I think. GL, I am sure your girls will do fine!

Mine still napped, but that was ok because the full-day pre-school has quiet time and naps are encouraged.

Our biggest behavioural trigger was being hungry and thirsty when I picked them up, it really took a while before they learnt to eat and especially drink enough at pre-school. So make sure you have a snack and a drink at hand when you pick them up because they may not make it home and to the next proper meal for the first weeks.

I dislike all the double paperwork, so much of it is pure repetition, and I especially hate it if they send some paperwork home and spring more on me to fill out when I get to some place thinking I am well prepared and all set.

Living on the school's schedule is a huge adjustment. But once everyone gets into the new routine, you will do fine.