They are begging like dogs!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by pgmummy, May 2, 2010.

1. pgmummy

pgmummy Well-Known Member

My kids have always tried to beg my breakfast from me, but I was usually able to distract them enough to eat it. Now if I try to sit down and eat with them, they are out of their chairs and on my lap in seconds. At first I only saw the benefits: they were eating cereal they wouldn't normally touch and they developed a liking for Craisins by eating the ones in my bowl.

Also when I come home from work I eat alone since DH and the kids have already had their meal. I can almost guarantee that I will have one child on my lap begging my food. Again I only saw the benefits at first: child would eat things that he refused to touch when they were on his plate.

The breakfast begging is out of control now. Today I decided that was it and I wouldn't let them eat my cereal. They had a fit. Needless to say I ended up hiding the cereal from them to get some peace so here I sit - hungry and afraid to eat in front of my kids! :unsure:

Do you have a no begging policy at your house? I find that begging is a great way to get them to try new foods. Where do I draw the line?

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I might try letting them eat my food, but only if they say please. Then I'd give them a few bites and tell them that if they wanted more they could have their own plate/bowl of it (making this sound like a special treat and not a disciplinary measure) (and getting them some new "special" plates/bowls might help too). If they don't eat then and whine for yours, tough. About the lap thing, I'd tell them we can cuddle before and after meals, but not during. (And I'd give them a heads up about this at least a couple times well before mealtime.) And above all, consistency, and try to be really laid back about it.

Just tossing out ideas, I don't know if this will be a good fit for you.

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this. If they want to eat it I'd tell them they can only have some if they sit in their own chairs and eat it out of their own bowls.

I used to give into begging, but by the time they were 2 1/2 I had the your chair/your plate in full effect. They know they don't get to eat anything unless they are sitting in their own chair.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

That's why I don't bother eating when they are up anymore. If I have a snack I'll make double the amount and make it their snack too, but other than that, I eat lunch while they nap and dinner after they're in bed, or it's drama, drama, drama. And forget getting a drink.

5. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

:good: I was going to say the same as this. Let them have one spoonful from your bowl to see if they like it (assuming it is something they haven't tried before). If they want more after that then put a small portion in their own bowls and have them sit in their own chairs to eat it.
    As for the dinner thing could you either all eat together (if the boys had a snack earlier to keep them going) or all eat the same meal and yours just gets saved until you get home? If you can't do that then I would probably do a similar thing to breakfast; let them try a bite of anything that is new to them, but if they ask for more after that give them a slice of bread (or something else easy and filling) and explain that it's your dinner, not theirs.

I also agree you should give them a heads up about whatever the new rules will be once you decide them, and then remind them of the rules just before you start eating for the next few days.

Good luck!

ETA: Missing word