The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'General' started by kingeomer, Oct 16, 2013.

1. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So, is anyone watching the show with our lovable survivors trying to make it in world with zombies?

I thought the premiere was good and I do find that I have to let go of the plot inconsistencies.  Like where they did find pigs?  A horse?  Zombies didn't eat all that?

The lady in the forest with Rick was spooky as all get out.

I liked Carol's version of "Book Club for kids".  

Any ideas on the illness that has felled our magically appearing pig and Patrick (the voice of Phineas, my friend told me)?

Oh and for laughs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxvo8AcpQQ  The Walking Dead Honest Trailer (spoilers for those who have not caught up to season 4)

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am watching it and I am so slow. I thought the pig was turning in to a zombie pig. I swear they showed it with blue-ish looking veins like they have showed when people are turning.

The lady in the woods was so spooky I was afraid she was a zombie that was faking it or something.

I just don't do suspense very well.

3. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Um where did the guy with the missing leg get the fake leg? And not just any prosthetic like a state of the art leg?

I cannot wait to see what is going on with old Phineas.

The whole part with the lady in the woods wwas a throw away for me a waste of time.  I mean if she was going to stab herself anyways (and yes she was creepy) then why even have that part in there. 

I love this show but I really hope it gets back on track bc the past couple years has been blah for me.  I wish Rick would get attacked and leave the show.  Darryl is the man and does not get the credit he deserves.

1 person likes this.
  4. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one.  The woman in the woods was a rambling plot twist and Rick needs to screw his head on tighter if he's gonna be out there in the wilderness.  Hand her a sandwich and wish her well, she looked crazy.  As for the illness, all I can say is I don't think it's the water, lol.  Otherwise more folk would be sick.  I don't think the pigs and horses and such are too much of a stretch, now that they have more people to go out looking, and who know what was in Woodbury...

5. AimeeThomp

LOL I agree with you.

I saw the guy who played Shane is going to be on a new AMC show. He's so cute.

6. kingeomer

I loved Shane, I wish TWD could have found a way to keep him around.  Not only he is cute but he's a good actor.  
    If there is a character I'm rooting for to be zombie food, it's Glen and Maggie.  They annoy me so much.

Chrissy, I wondered about the prosthetic leg they got Herschel too.

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Y'all haven't read the comics, have you?  :lol:

8. AimeeThomp

I had no idea the walking dead was a comic. Is the show following the story that was in the comic?

9. kingeomer

I have not.  I thought about reading them but I didn't want to get into a Game of Thrones situation where I feel like I know what's going to happen next.  I do know Darryl is not a comic book character and invented for the show.

10. AimeeThomp

Well I'm all about spoiling so I read the wikipedia article on the comic book, but I couldn't find anything about the mystery illness.

It looks like some of the show follows the comic book but a lot doesn't.

11. Chrissy Nelson

Devon bought me the Graphic Novels for Christmas (after I told him I wanted a Soda Stream :grr:  )  I started reading it but then I stopped bc I do not like my stories being spoiled.  They are different the characters are different so I just stopped. 

I agree that is why I did not read the GOT books either or True Blood.  These are shows I like to be fresh when I watched them.  Seriously the shock I had during that wedding scene in GOT was probably the most shocked I have ever been watching a show EVER!!!

12. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I finally caught up last night; we were plowing through the 3rd season when they got erased off our DVR somehow.. Netflix to the rescue! Anyway, I liked the last 2 episodes of the 3rd season. The tension levels were really good, but the governor retreating was really anticlimactic and lame. I dont' think that needed to be drawn out for more time.

As for the beginning of season 4, I think the boy died of some kind of flu, which you would kind of predict if you're gathering people in a small area without proper sanitation in close proximity to livestock. If that's what's going on, I think it's a realistic and interesting plot twist. Are they implying swine flu with the pig getting sick? Edited to add: I don't think it's in the water either, but now it will be if the boy coughed into the shower water. That is one of the inconsistencies for me; surely ONE of the survivors would be a little neurotic about treating the water and thinking about the disease? I mean, they have medics and isn't Herschel a vet? *eye twitch

The lady in the woods just served to be a foil for yet another of Rick's existential crises. I am not sure I have the patience for that all season.

I like this show a lot, and find it to be very entertaining, but it's kind of the show I love to hate too because of all the inconsistencies and plain stupidity. I am so glad we don't have to endure another season of Andrea.

I also remembered that the kid who died shook hands with Darryl. If Darryl dies of the swine flu, I quit the show.

13. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hope they realize that they'll lose their entire female viewership if they kill off Darryl.

I hate that they skip time between the seasons.  Seriously annoying.  I also want to know where they got livestock and a prosthetic leg.

I thought for sure the girl in the woods was a zombie and Rick was having some major hallucination about having a conversation with her.  Agreed that was creepy but a waste of time.

I also think swine flu!

And why the heck would Rick not want the kids learning how to use knives?!?  As a parent, I would totally expect weapons to be a part of the school curriculum.

Anyway, I love this show (even all the crap that makes no sense).  I haven't read the comics but plan to after the show is done.  From what I understand though, they're totally and completely different other than a few characters and locales.

I did enjoy the upping of the ick factor with the zombies - way more decomposition in general and that zombie hanging by his guts in the supermarket?  Awesome.

14. Rollergiraffe

Ugh, the fence. Seriously... you've been there for that long, the fence is sagging like that and you haven't done anything about this yet? LAZY! That one dude from last season could build basically a whole zombie prevention maze on a street by himself; why can't a whole village full of people do a lot better? Sigh.

Anyway, I am glad they were able to quickly deduce how the zombie apocalypse happened in the prison walls. They're quicker than the CDC! I think I really need to join an apocalypse planning forum or something though because I watch this show and think I could do much better. Pick up some hand sanitizer and surgical masks on one of your runs, people. You could have predicted this would happen. Surely someone read a history book at some point?

Interested to see what happened with the burning though. I can't say I will miss the awkward interaction between Tyreese and his girlfriend.

I swear, I do love this show!

2 people like this.
  15. kingeomer

Jen, it's hard to not to nitpick on the show.  I finally watched the show this morning.  I also can say I will not miss the awkward interaction between Tyreese and Karen.  Though I wondered who burned her and the other guy?  Who is feeding the zombies rats (and why???)?  I will say, I don't know if it's PMS or not, but I teared up when Michonne was holding Judith and when Rick was sacrificing the pigs.  
    Figuring out flu thing is probably the fastest our group of survivors have figured something out.  They can't figure out the obvious but let it be a little obscure and they are right on it.
    I glad we also figured out who is on the small council.  While I am happy that Carol, Tyreese's sister, Darryl and Herschel were there, I'm a little worried that Glen is on it.  But it does give him a storyline independent of Maggie, so that's good.
    So is Beth raising Judith or something?

16. Rollergiraffe

Oh, yeah, the Michonne and Judith scene made me tear up too.

17. kingeomer

You make me feel better, I thought I was getting soft in my old age.  The Walking Dead being tear inducing?  Who would have thought it?
    I wonder if we will find out the Michonne has lost a child or is this all we will get about her past.
    I am also curious as to what Darryl really did do for living pre-Zombie world.  Maybe that was addressed in the 1st season and I forgot.

18. Chrissy Nelson

I think that this is why Michonne was so pissed at what the Gov did to his daughter.  That she did have a child and something happened and this is why she is so pissed.

I seriously wish Rick would die.  I am so sick of him.  Why did he not drive and let Darryl do the slicing of the pigs.  We get it Rick you hate killing and all that but really at this point it is a necessity.

I think it is RIcks son feeling the Zombies.  I think that kid is wacked out and crazy.

The effects on this show have increased so much.  I love it!!

19. Rollergiraffe

The rats: I think it's that girl whose dad died this episode; she was upset about the zombie with the nametag, and then mentioned something about not wanting him killed.

1 person likes this.
  20. Chrissy Nelson

oh, those little girls are a little odd.

My favorite part of the episode was the zombie that had his gutts all hanging out them stood up.

21. Chrissy Nelson

Sooo I am OVER Rick. Who the F does he think he is.

1 person likes this.
  22. kingeomer

I think his decision with Carol is going to be very unpopular with the group.  Especially with Daryl, Herschel and the girls.
    I have a funny feeling that she will be hooking up with the governor in the future. 
    Last night's episode was a good one.  

23. AimeeThomp

Good prediction about Carol and Governer, wouldn't that be something?

I couldn't believe Rick did that. I agree with Chrissy - who does he think he is? The Governer and Michonne need to have to another chance to settle the score.

24. Rollergiraffe

Gawd, just when I finally liked Carol. She was the only one who seemed to be facing realities of life; kind of like a pragmatic den mother. But whatever, Rick. Tend to your garden.

25. Chrissy Nelson

Michonne with that machette is amazing.  Oh and that alcoholic with that bottle.  I cannot believe he kept it after Darryl called him out. 

26. Rollergiraffe

Is there a rule against alcohol or was it just his own personal prohibition? Why don't they just have cases and cases of liquor (and for that matter, hand sanitizer and surgical masks!) everywhere? I mean, really.

1 person likes this.
  27. AimeeThomp

:laughing: Jen, if I was in the zombie apocolypse I'd definitely stock up on the alcohol. I think with that guy the point was that he was putting alcohol above their safety. It was him getting the alcohol in the previous episode that made the shelves collapse and that young guy die. Then here he is not wanting to give up his bag and potentially die in order to keep his alcohol.

1 person likes this.
  28. Chrissy Nelson

I would be drunk ALL the time.  I agree it was the fact that he was so concerned with the alcohol that he was willing to put everyone at risk for that bag.  He was not about to let it go.  On top of that even after Darryl called him out about the bottle he still kept it.  I would have dumped it on the Zombies and set them on fire.

29. Rollergiraffe

You're right. Everything in this show is a moral dilemma. Good people never drink on this show; it's always a vice. But I'll be honest, my main threat if I survived the zombie apocalypse would be cirrhosis of the liver.

2 people like this.
  30. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Absolutely.  That would probably be the only way I would be able to get any sleep at night. 

3 people like this.
  31. AimeeThomp

:rotflmbo:

I also wonder why now when they come across people in homes, why are they all dirty? Wouldn't someone have to turn the water off in order for it to stop coming to your home?

This may be an extremely stupid question, I have realized I know very little about how we get water. I guess that is something I take for granted.

32. Rollergiraffe

Water is pumped from some kind of treatment facility or plant. Without power, no water! And the water stations require a lot of maintenance to make sure that they're free of sediment, corrosion, etc. They'd be best off if they were somewhere with a clean well with a hand or solar pump. I think this is another place the show falls down because clean water is probably one of the most immediate concerns when society goes sideways. Basically you'd have to worry about all the things that they worry about in developing countries right now. Except that you're relying on Farmer Rick to grow your vegetables, apparently, and you know he's just going to screw that up.

1 person likes this.
  33. Chrissy Nelson

They never take clothes from these houses.  I would be craving some fresh clothes.  Some new jeans, undies come on get with the program.

This episode bored the daylights out of me.  And I want to know hoe the Govenor is STILL ALIVE!!!

1 person likes this.
  34. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I binged watched for two weeks to get caught up on this show. I loved the first three seasons (as it seems I do with a lot of these shows). There are some plot holes but c'mon this is a tv show about zombies. None of it is real. That being said, I feel like they are trying too hard so far in season 4. It's still good but this sickness and the zombies produced are all a bit much for me. It seems so contrived (realizing that the entire show is contrived).

I still hate the gory zombie part of the show but I do like the moral dilemmas they encounter.

I love Darryl, love Glenn. Rick may be annoying but he is quite hot so I will forgive him. For now.

35. kingeomer

I think we'll find out next week what the Governor has been up to and the fact he's been under their noses this whole time.  I wonder if it's him who was feeding the zombies rats in the earlier episodes.
    I just love Herschel.  What a good episode for him.  Scott Wilson is so awesome on this show.  I also think we will get Daryl's reaction to What Happened to Carol next week and I cannot imagine it being a good one.  

1 person likes this.