The Today Show says that 20% of kids under age TWO

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dtlyme, Mar 26, 2008.

?

Do you have a TV in your children's/child's room?

1. Nope!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dtlyme

dtlyme Well-Known Member

Just curious if their 20% statistic will hold out here!

I can't figure out how to actually do a poll! HELP!

2. Shoshana

Shoshana Well-Known Member

There is no way I would let my kids have a TV in their room. The NY Times just ran a big article that said kids with TVs in their room are much more likely to be obese and don't read as much.

But, a 2 year old?? I can't even imagine.

(oops, did that sound preachy?)

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We don't have a TV in the girls' room. We do have TVs in our bedroom, the living room, den and office (TV is part of the desktop computer). I think 4 TVs for a 4-person household is plenty.

4. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

My kids watch TV but I would never let them have a TV in their room that young,, My SD has a TV in her room but she is 10. My SD's sister is the same age as my boys and they leave a tv on all night in her room she shares with her sister so that when she wakes up cartoons are already on and she will stay in her crib longer...blows my mind!

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

No tv's in their room here! DH grew up with one in his room and we'll not be repeating that!
    p.s. I made it into a poll for you! :)

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We don't have them in their rooms now and I don't know when/if we will do it. I didn't have a TV in my room until I was out of high school. The only time would be when one of us was sick, my mom would put their small (black and white) TV in our room. We do have one in our room, one in the family room and one in the kitchen/dining area (and in the summer we put one out on our screen porch).

7. jennyj

jennyj Well-Known Member

we have one in our 8yr olds room just for the playstation which he cant use unless he asks and we have one in our 4 yrolds roo for VHS only and that doesnt get pluged in unless we say they can watch a movie... but in a 2yr old room wow thats young.. are kids dont have free rain overthe TV .. there is just too much junk that they dont need to know about or cloud their little minds.... I dont even watch prim time TV when they are awake I record it and watch it later... we watch a lot of animal planet, discovery, and funniest home videos ...

8. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Not in a million years. I never had one in my room until I went to college ...

9. dtlyme

dtlyme Well-Known Member

Jackie - Thank you!!

10. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

No Way! Not in any of my kids rooms - never :nea:

11. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

My mom bought my girls a TV for their room when they turned 1...and no it will not go in their room! Its still sitting in my closet. I think it is CRAZY to have a TV in a child's room, especially a 2 y/o....

ETA: My second cousin that is 6 months younger then my twins, got a flatscreen TV for his room when he turned 1!!! His parents (my cousin) bought it for him :rolleyes:

12. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Callen @ Mar 26 2008, 08:36 AM) [snapback]687807[/snapback]

Ditto.

13. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

no way. We don't even have one in our room, that's one thing I've always said no tv in the bedroom (for us too)

amanda

14. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Right now, they do not. My parents got them a DVD player for Christmas, and they don't have a TV in their room. So my parents are going to get them one as well. They are going to build a thing on the wall to mount it up where the kids can't touch it.

15. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nope, and neither does my 7 year old (even though she is begging for one because all her friend's do have one in their room).

16. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My kids don't have one, and I have no plans to get them one. They will be 6 in June.

17. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We only have one TV in the house and it's in the living room.

18. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

No way do they have a TV in their room, and they won't for a very long time. The first time I ever had a TV in my room was when I had a job and could buy it myself (like 17 or 18, if I remember right). That sounds right for my girls as well.

19. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

No. Way. Jose.

20. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(angie7 @ Mar 26 2008, 09:36 AM) [snapback]687809[/snapback]
    ETA: My second cousin that is 6 months younger then my twins, got a flatscreen TV for his room when he turned 1!!! His parents (my cousin) bought it for him :rolleyes:

Sorry but that's insane!!
    No, my girls do not have a TV in their room and won't until maybe high school. As technology-oriented as we are, we only have two TV's, and only had one for the longest time. DH and I are firm "no TV in the bedroom" people. Our TV's right now are in the living room and family room.

Just wanted to add something- In our household set-up, their bedroom is just that, their bedroom. Really all they do is sleep there. If it also doubled as their play space, I could understand having a TV in there. Our family room is pretty much their playroom, so I guess us having a TV there isn't all that much different.

21. Jennifer Jean

Jennifer Jean Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Callen @ Mar 26 2008, 01:36 PM) [snapback]687807[/snapback]

Ditto!

22. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Nope! No TV in their room here and hopefully never (DH and I haven't ever discussed it?) but I don't see him wanting them to have one.

And I wish we didn't have one in our room. I made it all the way until the girls were born before having a TV in the bedroom. And then the middle of the night feedings did me in (I desperately needed something to keep me awake!) And now the stupid things still there.... <_<

23. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I am the bad mom who does have a TV in the kids rooms. They were past 2 yrs old and they do not have cable. But they do watch movies in there when they are napping or going to bed. It helps my DH and I out, because we do not have to watch cartoons on the big TV all the time.

My girls like books more then TV (so they will/do read) my kids are all very skinny and would rather be OUTSIDE then inside watching TV..

Also we limit it to where they can only watch movies if it is rest time. Works out for us. :)

Brandy

24. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

Never will my kids have TVs in their rooms. It was a big deal for me to let them have a TV in their Toy room! But now that we got it it is great, no more cartoons on my TV and they rarely turn it on during the day actually!

25. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Shoshana @ Mar 26 2008, 12:44 PM) [snapback]687714[/snapback]
    There is no way I would let my kids have a TV in their room. The NY Times just ran a big article that said kids with TVs in their room are much more likely to be obese and don't read as much.

But, a 2 year old?? I can't even imagine.

(oops, did that sound preachy?)

Ditto. And in the words of Whitney Houston, "He11 to the No!" will they get them. ;)

26. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

No TVs in their room currently and I don't plan on ever having them in the bedroom.

27. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Leighann @ Mar 26 2008, 12:52 PM) [snapback]687730[/snapback]
    WI think 4 TVs for a 4-person household is plenty.

We are a 4 TV family too, but never in a kids room.

28. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

I voted other because they have one in their playroom, but not in their bedroom. The one in their playroom has literally never been turned on, but it's there and we figure in the future that's where we'll keep their dvd's and they can go in there to watch their shows. Right now, they watch one signing video a day and sometimes an episode of Hi-5, and they watch those in the living room with us.

I don't plan to ever let them have a tv in their bedroom. I do expect they'll always have a separate playroom, which will probably become video game room/movie room, etc. as they get older. So they'll have a tv of their own in that room, but it will not be in their bedroom. I just think the bedroom is for sleeping, and that's really it!

ETA: A pp mentioned link between tv in bedroom and not reading as much. That's another reason I don't want a tv in their bedroom. When they are old enough to read themselves, I hope they'll read some in bed each night before they go to sleep. (My mom bribed me with being able to stay up an extra hour as long as I spent that hour reading in my room.....guess what? I chose to read for an hour because it meant I could stay up an hour longer. Genius, I think!) When there is a tv in the room, I'd expect them to be more interested in watching the tv to fall asleep rather than reading. That's how I am anyway!

29. Ilovemybabies

Ilovemybabies Well-Known Member

No! My kids do not have a TV in their rooms. To me, that is crazy! My best friend just bought a TV/DVD combo for her childs bedroom. He is two! It just blows me away! I never had a TV in my room as a child and neither will my kids.

30. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

No tv in the kids rooms here. I can see, like Kelly said, if it's possibly a play room as well but controlled by mom or dad.

31. HT

HT Well-Known Member

My DD got a tv in her room at 2 1/2, but only because we turned our guest room into the twins' room and we needed to put the tv somewhere. However, it isn't hooked up to cable and it doesn't have an antenna so she can't watch anything except dvds and tapes. We also have her Clickstart computer hooked up to it which she frequently plays while I'm getting dressed in the am. She is now 3 1/2 and rarely takes naps, but I still send her to her room for a rest while she watches a movie.

32. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

We only have one TV and it's in OUR bedroom--we find its on a lot less that way. (We also only get 4 channels--that helps too). The living room is where we spend time together--not time with the TV. I watch some TV late at night. And they watch Dora and Seasame Street (on the same channel here) in the mornings while we are getting ourselves ready to leave the house. My kids watch a DVD about 3 afternoons a week (usually Dora) and lay on my bed to watch it and most times fall asleep while watching. TV has always been "quiet time" for us to lay down and rest.

33. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

I have two older sons as well.....they don't have tv's in their bedrooms either...they are 16 and 17. So there is NO way I will be putting one in the twins room. We have one in our Family/Living room, the loft, and in our Master Bedroom. That is it!

To each their own.

Missy
    :itwins_boys:

34. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My older dd who is now 8 has had a tv in her room since she turned 2.5. Has no cable, just the basics and a dvd player. She doesn't watch tv a whole lot, she chooses other things I think bc she has been allowed tv (meaning, its no special treat to her). We did just pull the tv out of her room bc now she is starting to get more homework (she is in the second grade) and I don't want it ot become an issue. We do have a tv in the playroom and the kids will watch it in there sometimes. TV has never been a big issue for us and I am not a big tv watcher so I never thought too much about it. We did have one in my older son's room (mostly bc we moved him to the guest room and it was already there) but he is one who would sit and watch it all day. I don't want that for him so we took it out after I found him watching it at 2am one time. He never complained. The babies never have had one in their room.

35. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

nope, my two don't have one in their room and I don't plan on putting one in there. We have four TV's right now, so I don't think they NEED one in their room. Even when they get older I don't see a need. I remember having one when I lived with my parents and I wouldn't go to sleep until late because I would watch TV after my parents went to sleep. :pardon: