The placenta tests came back

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by brianamurnion, May 11, 2007.

1. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

FRATERNAL!! But that isnt a huge surprize because we dont think they really look ID. They have similarities but they have very different eyes. Again I have pics posted on another post here at the first year!! Thanks everyone!

2. MommyTo3andCounting

MommyTo3andCounting Well-Known Member

It must be nice to know for sure, there was never any question with mine. I was beginning to wonder if they always sent back that they were identical..seems like everyone on here who has had the test done heard they were identical.
    Congrats on knowing!

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Congratulations! It must be great to know for sure!

4. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

COngrats! Must feel great to know, hey? And now you have an answer when you get the inevitable question!!!

5. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Isn't it a relief to know? Did you do a DNA test or only test for 1 vs 2 placentas? I ask because I think your girls look verrrrrry similar and would have guessed that they are identical.

6. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

I know it must be a relief to know, and be able to answer all those pesky questions from nosy strangers :rolleyes: !! Congrats :D

7. brianamurnion

QUOTE(Mellizos @ May 11 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]252161[/snapback]
    Isn't it a relief to know? Did you do a DNA test or only test for 1 vs 2 placentas? I ask because I think your girls look verrrrrry similar and would have guessed that they are identical.

They have two placentas but they sent them away and did the tests on them... does that sound normal? I just got the results today 9 wks later that state after testing the two placentas that they are Frats.... I am asuming I dont need DNA ... or do we still?? Let me know thanks!

8. Mellizos

They have two placentas but they sent them away and did the tests on them... does that sound normal? I just got the results today 9 wks later that state after testing the two placentas that they are Frats.... I am asuming I dont need DNA ... or do we still?? Let me know thanks!

YIKES! Two placentas can most definitely be identical. About 1/3 of all identical twins have separate placentas. If your girls have the same blood type, the only way to know for sure would be a DNA test. (I'm assuming that the hospital didn't do a DNA test on the placentas). I really do think they look so similar that I would place my money on identical. If you post a message in the Parents forum, you'll get lots of responses about how the doctor said fraternal but the DNA test said identical. But regardless, they are precious. :wub:

9. brianamurnion

QUOTE(Mellizos @ May 12 2007, 03:06 AM) [snapback]252475[/snapback]
    YIKES! Two placentas can most definitely be identical. About 1/3 of all identical twins have separate placentas. If your girls have the same blood type, the only way to know for sure would be a DNA test. (I'm assuming that the hospital didn't do a DNA test on the placentas). I really do think they look so similar that I would place my money on identical. If you post a message in the Parents forum, you'll get lots of responses about how the doctor said fraternal but the DNA test said identical. But regardless, they are precious. :wub:

Okay so my doc made it sound like they did the blood tests on the placentas.. .can this even be done? He said in the hospital..."we are sending these away and we should be able to tell you in a few weeks if they are frat or ID." So I was under the assumption they were doing something to the placentas????? I have a friend who had g/g w/ 2 placentas and here "placenta results" came back ID... she said she did not have the DNA swab or blood test done and her girls are def. ID. Okay MORE INFO PLEASE from anyone who can answer my questions!! Much appriciated!

10. team_double.trouble

team_double.trouble Well-Known Member

its geart you found out. we knew at birth and if we didnt i would have been so anxious to find out.

11. Mellizos

Why not just ask your doctor? A DNA test would be conclusive, but if all they did was determine that there were in fact 2 placentas, that doesn't mean anything. Blood typing is also conclusive, but ONLY if they have different blood types (which means they are fraternal). But your doctor should be able to tell you which tests were done.

12. brianamurnion

Thats what i thought I was asking my Dr. I thought we knew all along (since the first u/s) that there were 2 placentas. I thought they were blood testing them. Well I might just have to call back and see. My ?? is can the blood testing even be done with just the placentas? Or do they need saliva/blood directly from the girls. Oh well... it doesnt really matter.... only to tell people when they ask so I dont have to explain every time about 2 placentas blah blah blah.

13. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

The placentas are made up of the same DNA as the babies, but I doubt they did a DNA test. They can do a blood test with the placentas as well. Keep us updated, I'm interested to hear what they say!

14. MJXplus2

MJXplus2 Well-Known Member

They sent our placentas out to be tested but they definitely didn't do a DNA test on them. We had to pay for that ourselves. We knew their blood types right away before the placenta test came back because they were in the NICU. Our test came back as definitely 2 placentas and they told us that meant they were "most likely" fraternal but they couldn't say for sure. The DNA test came back identical. I'm pretty sure the placenta test just confirms whether there are 1 or 2 placentas. I would ask the Dr exactly what the placenta test involves to be sure. I don't know how they could think they could confirm ID without a DNA test based on placentas.