the infamous SBS stroller question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kdanielleflowers, Oct 2, 2009.

1. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

OK, I think we're going to bite the bullet and get a SBS double stroller. I just don't feel like the Duoglider is comfortable enough for the girls and especially whomever sits in the front seat. There's no "side" to it and that baby is just too far away from me. We use the stroller mostly for running errands and walking in the neighborhood.

Here's the thing, we have to be able to fit through doors and I'd like to be able to attach snack trays on the front. Any suggestions from those of you who have a double?

Should I maybe post this in 2nd year?

Front runners so far...Bumbleride Indie Twin, Bob Revolution, and Citi Mini.

2. Lorem Ipsum

Lorem Ipsum Well-Known Member

We have a Baby Jogger City Mini and a Valco Tri Mode Twin. My wife prefers the City Mini because it’s lighter, folds smaller, and is easier to open and fold. I prefer the Tri Mode because it SO easy to push, is very maneuverable, has a ton of storage, and with its air filled tires it’s suitable for both smooth and rough surfaces (and going over curbs/steps is a breeze!) Both fit through standard doorways easily and have available snack trays that can be attached.
    Regardless of what you pick. Make sure you can try one out in a store before spending the money… you might find that one just ‘feels’ more comfortable to you.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I have the bumbleride and BOB I love both of them but the bumbleride is better for when the babies are smaller/cannot sit up. Both are good for walks in the neighborhood and both require you to purchase additional snack trays. The bumbleride is alot smaller than the BOB but both fit just fine through doorways.

4. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

When I was researching double strollers I found this comparison chart helpful. However, that chart only includes jogger strollers and not basic strollers like the Maclaren, Combi, etc. The two biggest things I focused on during my search were width and weight. I ended up buying the Baby Jogger City Classic double, which my husband just put together yesterday. We hope to try it out this weekend! Prior to getting the BJCC I was going to get the Maclaren Twin Triumph, because it is very light weight and my coworker loves theirs. But I decided I wanted something with shocks and better wheels for a smoother ride, which is why I went with the BJCC which is a little heavier but still fits through 32" standard doors.

Good luck in your stroller search! It's nerve racking trying to decide on one. I was cross-eyed after reading so many reviews and comparing dimensions, weights, etc.

5. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I have a jogger that I don't take places with me b/c I can't fit most places (it's a Schwinn Double Jogger). After 2 years, I've finally put my DuoGlider in the garage (and out of my trunk) b/c the boys are now riding in a Combi SBS. It has cupholders, 5pt seatbelts, footrests, sunshades and folds nicely. I have fit through EVERY door so far. I do have to admit that I used the DuoGlider to go to the outlet mall and still got stuck with that. YTD I've owned 5 strollers and the Combi is my fav so far. :ibiggrin: I do think the City Mini would be nice though too! Does it have cupholders/snack trays? That is a MUST for the SY.

6. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

There are actually a couple of threads right now in the Second Year about strollers. Many moms seem to like the combi strollers and the Bob is always a hit.

Since the snack tray wasn't a deal breaker for me we got a double jogger from One Step Ahead that we love and we use the cheapie Jeep SBS for quick in and out errands.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm another combi fan, but it depends on what your "must haves" are.

I needed something lightweight so I could lift it in and out of my Yukon, as small of a fold as possible for space constraints (I have 4 kids, lots of stuff!), I wanted to be able to push it one handed so it had to have a solid push bar, not umbrella stroller handles, I wanted individual reclines and canopies, and a basket. Bonus, the combi came with cup holders (no actual tray though).

So for me, the combi was perfect. I personally didn't want the weight of a jogger, I already have back problems! ;)

8. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

I sold my Kolcraft Contours Tandem stroller on Craigslist because I hated it! The baby in the back would kick the baby in the front. I am looking for a side by side also. Right now I am still using my DSNG but have the same problem. My babies legs are getting too long and they are outgrowing their infant seats. I have loved my DSNG and hate to see it go.

9. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

I have a BOB Revolution Dualie. I bought it when my girls were 12 weeks old. I purchased a support that fitted around them snugly and stopped their little heads from lolling about & make them more comfy. It is a bit cumbersome to get in and out of the car, but I totally LOVE it - easy to push, each seat reclines independently and it fits through just about every doorway. The only doorway it didn't fit thru was the exam room at my Ob/Gyn's office! Fortunately there were enough nurses around that the babies were held and fussed over while I was seen (although one of the girls did pitch a fit and I ended up having a pelvic exam with a baby on my chest. I wouldn't recommend it!) Anyway, silly anecdotes aside, I love the BOB and we are taking it to Hawaii on vacation with us in a few weeks. I also jog with it, and my DH and I take it on some rougher hiking trails, and it does great. If I had to make the decision all over again, I'd still buy a BOB. But you do need a big car - we have Subaru Forrester, and the BOB pretty much takes up a good 80% of the trunk space.

10. kdanielleflowers

Thanks for all the replies ladies! We're going garage sale-ing this morning and if I come up empty handed, then I'm placing an order online! As for the car space, I drive a Honda odyssey, so I hope that won't be an issue.

Allright, wish me luck! :good:

11. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Drive on down to Orlando for the MOM sale! LOL! Good luck today!

12. kdanielleflowers

You laugh, but I just about would! No luck at garage sales today. Oh well, looks like we're going to have to buy one outright or just make do with the duoglider. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

13. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

Ouch - I hear you. The BOB cost me more than my first car (admittedly, my first car was a bit of a clunker!). It is so worth it, however. You could try Craig's List? Also, REI has a semi-annual sale and they do 20% off everything, including the BOB. I'm not sure when their next sale i, but it is worth it. I purchased the BOB online at REI for 20% off, had it shipped to my local store for free and called the store the day before I went to pick it up - they had it assembled and ready for me.

Good luck in the stroller hunt!