The Comedy Show formerly know as Dinner (or Breakfast, or Lunch...take your pick)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jjzollman, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I feel like our mealtimes have become a comedy show. Each child is trying to make the other 2 laugh, one starts singing, the other sings louder. Sullivan makes a silly sound, Finley makes a sillier sound. Finley bangs on the table with his fork once, Sullivan bangs on the table with his fork twice. Lennon asks for a drink, the other two started singing, yelling, and whining for a drink, etc. :rolleyes: It feels like complete chaos! I can't wait for mealtime to be over lately, it is just so ridiculous! I do "table timeouts" where if someone is doing something (throwing their drink, dropping food, SCREAMING LOUDLY etc.) and I give them a warning (next time, time out) and I take things away (roll your cup, cup is gone) - but I just feel like they love mealtime and they associate it with family and fun (great), but also silliness and loudness.

How do you keep your mealtimes calm and peaceful?

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Calm & peaceful are not words that I would use to describe mealtimes at our house either. But, while I do try to correct rude behavior like you mentioned so that they will have some manners when they grow up, I don't really do anything about the silliness & loudness, I just figure that is part of having a large family and I actually kind of like it. I gave up on quiet & peaceful long ago, Mike & I go out to dinner with friends about once a month so that I can have some of that!

3. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I agree with Tina. Calm & peaceful it is not! At least, not at our house either. We do TO also for bad table manners...throwing food, refusing to sit at the table, spitting food, etc... When they are ready to come back to the table and eat, TO is over. I want them to enjoy mealtimes, have fun, talk with the family. The talking and loudness doesn't bother me. They are kids. I say let 'em talk and be appropriately loud (inside voice) and just address the bad table manners (as mentioned above).

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess I used the wrong word choice of calm and peaceful. Just talking instead of screaming, no banging things, no yelling and singing songs super loud, etc. Glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with table craziness! :) Thanks!!

5. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Oy, I feel your pain! When mine start getting too crazy I break out the flash cards. It keeps them busy but still eating. Mine love to sing during meal times as well :laughing: