The "big" bathtub

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by LouiseP, Feb 18, 2009.

1. LouiseP

LouiseP Active Member

Our twins are 8 months old. We still give them a bath in their bathtub in the sink.
    They seem to be getting pretty big for this!

When did you move yours to the "real" bathtub?

They can sit up unassisted. (I know I still need to hold on to them, just an fyi that they can sit up)
    Do I need one of those seats? Do I need to get a mat for the bottom?

Thanks everyone! I will keep checking your responses!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I moved the twins to the big tub at 8 weeks old. I would put a towel in the bottom of the tub and lay the baby on it. I bathed them seperately at that stage. AT about 10 months I started bathing them together since they could sit up. I would put about 3-4 inches of water in the tub. HTH!

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(LouiseP @ Feb 18 2009, 10:49 AM) [snapback]1194847[/snapback]
    Our twins are 8 months old. We still give them a bath in their bathtub in the sink.
    They seem to be getting pretty big for this!

When did you move yours to the "real" bathtub?

They can sit up unassisted. (I know I still need to hold on to them, just an fyi that they can sit up)
    Do I need one of those seats? Do I need to get a mat for the bottom?

Thanks everyone! I will keep checking your responses!

When they started sitting well unassisted - around 8 months - we just plopped them in the big tub and off we went. We didn't do a bath seat or mat. We kept the water low at first.

Now, if I could just keep them seated!!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We made this switch about 10 months old. We could have done it sooner and I'm not sure why we waited because they love the big tub and did from day 1. We do not use a bath mat or anything, we just let them go to town. I think as long as they are sitting up unassisted they will do great. We only use couple of inches of water and both DH and I wash one (we enjoy seeing them have fun in the tub).
    Enjoy!

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

We made the switch when they were sitting up well. We did not use seats. I would get a mat if you are doing them both at the same time so you have less slipping and sliding! GL!

6. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

We're planning on putting them both in the big tub at the same time very soon ... just waiting on my DH's posion oak to clear up from his arms!!

7. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I started putting them in when they were only a few weeks old. I laid them down in a few inches of water. They LOVED it and freaked out splashing and kicking.

8. LouiseP

LouiseP Active Member

Thank you everyone! I feel so much better about moving them into the real bathtub.
    We give them a bath separately right now. I give one a bath and then hand off to my husband
    for the lotion, diaper, pajamas part, and take the other one to the bath.

I'm going to go for it tonight! I assume I will just have to sort of hold on to them!

I can't wait until they can have fun bath time together!

9. Bestian

Bestian Well-Known Member

8 months is a good time to move them to real bathtubs.

10. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Well-Known Member

But only if you have a good-looking tub. You need to think about the hygiene. And the best way would be reglazing your current tub. Buying a new one would be quite expensive. And if you were thinking about reglazing before then you can check out this following page. Here you will find all the detailed information about this topic. Ask the questions and they will probably answer them.