The Anything Topic

Discussion in 'General' started by Kendra, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ok, so lazy mod me. With Brenda moving, I forgot to get in here and start a new one. You kids move too fast for me to keep up with!

Hope you heal fast Joyce (you can bring your post from the last AT in here)

Topic for discussion. What else besides TS do you do online?

2. Kendra

I'm on facebook a lot. I've always been a gamer so I love my games but I try not to bug people with notifications. I use the setting to send only to the people in a certain group (I have everyone who plays games in a "gamers" folder) unless there are people I know who aren't in that folder yet who would like the game. I'm also doing a 365 Objects in my Home group right now and having fun finding stuff to post pictures of.

I write my blog and obsess over the stats. I got a mention on a Norwegian magazine's message board and had the most hits ever that day.

I have a few royal boards.

I've recently discovered the joy of a RSS reader. I'm not sure how I lived without it. (Google Reader)

3. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

O no Joyce! :hug: I really hope it heals soon, sounds like a bad fall, and what timing! Let us know how it goes and how the first day of work is on wednesday!

What do I do online besides TS? FB just to chat with friends and see how everyone is doing, I follow a friend of mine's blog on trail running (very informative and he is an elite trail runner!), log my polar excercise data, research for work etc

The Magoebas trail run was amazing! I grinned like an idiot the whole way (actually I'm still grinning) :D I just love Magoebas, the forest is soooo beautiful and it's just a great trail, we woke on Saturday to a misty morning - wish you could see it, the views are really breathtaking (I'll post the few pics I did take on FB soon). I can't wait for the Otter now, feel a lot more confident in my fitness level so we'll see what happens. I fell 3 times on the trail, luckily no serious injuries just a few scrapes and a bruised ankle, mostly I just amused CP with my ninja moves trying to avoid a fall after tripping over a tree root and ending up on my bum covered in mud :lol:

Have a great week everyone!

4. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

Having done something similar before (although in my case I was trying to go around a "circuit" as fast as possible :p) I agree that it hurts quite a bit. Hopefully you won't be sore for too long.

Most things? :p I'm sure we have discussed this in one of the previous anything threads but I can always repeat things :p Most of the time I spend on the internet is spent doing one of a few things: going on several forums, reading the news, e-mail, research, programming (and other work) and various bank-related things.

Well I did warn you not to wear high heels :p

5. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

Answers change :p you might have discovered a new exciting forum or something from the last time we've discussed it, so it is worth talking about old subjects again...and besides, only you guys have scary memories. I also read the news (first thing in the morning) forgot to mention that

LOL, if I wore heels I would definitely have broken every bone in my body (and I would have broken a perfectly good pair of heels as well :p )

6. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

You must be talking about Codie. I'm not and have never been a goat :p

I think this quesiton would be better as "What do you not do on the internet?". My answer is that I don't eat, sleep or walk on the internet. Nearly everything else is done on the internet.

7. TwinRichard

Sorry :p

They wouldn't have been "perfectly good" if you had broken every bone in your body while wearing them :p

8. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Joyce how are you going? I hope you are healing ok!! That is a horrible thing to happen!!

I go on here, facebook and research for uni. Facebook is boring at the moment though.

9. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

Hope your feeling alot better joyce, that sucks. sorry i havent been on here very much lately, just seem to be busy with everything this else :)

apart from TS i use the net for Facebook, mainly just to chat with family and friends, college stuff, emails and general stuff, i like reading blogs and watching the occasional video. when i have time i like to keep an online blog myself as well. thats all i can think of at the moment.

10. Code

Code Well-Known Member

:woo: my house mate I dislike may be moving out soon!! :D My other house mate took me shopping today and replaced everything the other stole and wouldn't take don't for a answer. Then the other came back and gave me $10 to replace everything :rolleyes: that is the cost of the washing powder. Other house mate wouldn't take it for the stuff he brought me. So now I got my stuff replaced and made $10 :D

11. TwinRichard

Sounds good ;) Now you have to hope that the new one will be better.

12. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I highly doubt there will be a new one :p

13. TwinRichard

Even better :p

14. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Indeed ;)

15. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi guys, quickly checking in, My Mom is here for the day and I stole her internet-thing-a-ma-jig. Unpacking is going very well, loving all the new space that we have. Only negative is that I've gotten the flu and I thought I'd skip it this winter [​IMG] Almost did, oh well.

Still no internet :gah: Fighting for it to be done by the weekend. I often wonnder if service is as bad in other countries?

Will catch up soon. :hug:

16. TwinRichard

It took about two weeks to activate our DSL connection originally. We had to use a mobile/wireless Internet connection until then.

17. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I hate mobile wireless broadband!! <_<

18. TwinRichard

It is better than nothing :p I'm glad it seems to have taken off in terms of popularity though as it means it is much cheaper to use when you only need it occasionally.

19. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

Hehehehee :woo: just got the SMS, my wedding gown has arrived! I'm so excited, :woo: , I'm trying to have my first fitting this afternoon :p

Bren hope your internet is working soon! en wanneer sien ek jou bietjie? heeltemal te lanklaas gekuier!

20. Code

Code Well-Known Member

That is true! But sometimes it doesn't work anyway :( Mine cost me $40 a month for 6GB non contract plan, which means I can cancel at anytime just had to stay a minimum of one month! Are Acer netbooks good?? Contemplating buying one, Joyce mayne has one for $239 at the moment, with a $39 cash back. I just need a cheap one to take to uni to type notes in lectures as I am way to slow at writing.

How exciting!! :)

21. TwinRichard

I haven't received mine yet :p

I would only use the prepay ones because I don't need it that often. Coverage can sometimes be problematic outside of major urban areas (depends on the network - Telstra is probably better in most places but is much more expensive).

I think they are quite good for the price. Our mother has one and it works well for what she uses it for. $200 isn't a bad price for one. I would just check to make sure you know what you are getting (for $200 it is probably the one that runs Linux which isn't a problem but it might not be what you were expecting). Do you know what the model number is?

22. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I had a optus prepay one but it didn't have coverage at my Wollongong address, so I am on 3, since this is my only net I use it a bit although not that much, last month it was just over 2GB. NEVER going with telstra for anything ever again, they stuffed me over to much when I had my mobile with them!

It is windows XP but I would be upgrading it if I do buy it. I don't need a flash one ( I have my normal laptop for that) just one that is small that I can take to uni and home for the weekends I go home to save having to take my big one. I don't know the model number it is the one on the Joyce mayne ad? if you seen it.

23. Kendra

Yeah Gerda!

24. TwinRichard

Telstra has the largest network but the problem is that it is Telstra :p There are really only three networks, Telstra, Optus, Vodafone/3 so if Optus doesn't have coverage and 3 doesn't work, you're left with Telstra to try.

I haven't seen it, I don't think they have any shops around here. If all you want to do with it is go on the internet and write/edit documents then it should work without any problems. I probably wouldn't want to work on one for long hours but there isn't really anything wrong with them. I probably wouldn't bother upgrading from XP, any of the newer versions of Windows (especially Vista) will probably slow it down.

25. Code

Code Well-Known Member

If I had to go with telstra I would of went without net. I highly dislike them!! The ripped me off.

I am going to the gym soon and joyce mayne is like a 5 minute walk from it so I will go check it out and see what I think, I don't like xp :( ;)

26. TwinRichard

Install Linux then :p XP probably works well enough for what you need to do with it (although I agree that it can be annoying).

27. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I brought it, I am going to see my computer tech tomorrow and see about 7 and see what he has to say. I really dont like XP lol!

28. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Adrian and Richard are you happy with who got PM?

29. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

I'm relieved Tony is not the Prime Minister :p I would have liked to see Robert Oakeshott as Prime Minister with a Green MP as immigration minister (or whoever the minister responsible for immigration is) and a mix of fiscal conservatives and social progressives (from any of the other parties) as the other ministers - I admit however that such a government would be even more unconventional (and therefore completely unlikely) than the one that is in power now.

30. TwinRichard

Anything (yes thing :p) is better than Abbott as Prime Minister :p I tried to watch the press conference at university but the connection wasn't very good today for some reason so it was rather difficult.

What do you think of it?

31. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I don't like either person :pardon: But I am glad Tony Abbott didn't get it he would of taken us back ten years. :p

32. TwinRichard

Just 10 years? More like 100 :p I would be surprised if anybody outside their core supporters like either of them but that is probably true of most politicians.

33. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I was being kind but yes 100 is more like it ;) That is true, lets help she does better then Kevin 07 ;)

34. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I replied in here earlier but seems like my post didn't take ???

Joyce! Hope you are feeling better! Sounds like an awful fall! :hug: :hug:

I also saw Gerda's dress yesterday. It's STUNNING!

35. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

Thanks Bren, but I'm not that convinced yet, we'll see after the alterations whether I feel better about it, there is just something that I don't like about the dress...don't know what but my excitement is a bit subdued at this stage...Probably just stress? hopefully!