The Anything Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Twinrific, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm very late I know [​IMG]

It's FIFA world cup time so let's talk about it. Who's watching? Who doesn't care? I've been loving it (to my own surprise) I'm glad SA's team has improved but unfortunately not enough to get us anywhere in the world cup. Only other thing I am sad about is that all the many foreigners are seeing our country during the winter. It's so much more spectacular in the Summer!

2. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

What happened to you staying as far away from the World Cup as possible? :p Have you hit anybody with your elbow yet or thrown a bowl of grapes on the ground when somebody has scored yet? :p

I have only watched a few matches so far. I would probably watch more but I have been busy these past few days and they are generally late in the evening and the early hours of the morning here. I may have to switch to your time zone for a bit depending on how various countries do.

3. Twinrific

I decided joining them is better than trying to beat them :p No voilence yet but we'll have to see how the rest of the games go. [​IMG]

4. TwinRichard

I asked because Adrian has a history of throwing bowls of grapes around when he gets excited :p

5. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm keeping an eye on it because the kids at work are really into it but I can't get into it. The cat is also freaked out by those horns.

6. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

I follow some of the games, can't always watch because I'm at work, I love the atmosphere and can't wait for the game CP and I'm going to watch (Spain vs Chile) but must admit I could do without the vuvuzela's, I just can't like them, nice ornaments but as long as you don't use them :p

7. Twinrific

Sounds dangerous :lol:

That'll be the vuvuzela's that have been driving us crazy! It's worse IRL, I swear I'm starting to go deaf! I feel for poor Sadie ;)

8. TwinRichard

Does that mean I should keep an eye out for you? :p

It is!

I realised today that Eskom has somehow managed to keep the electricity running in the stadiums for all the matches (at least I haven't heard of any matches where the power went out) :p;)

9. Twinrific

:rofl: Trust me, we're just as surprised as you are, :lol:

10. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

I suspect it is probably wishful thinking to expect Telkom to follow its example? :p

11. Twinrific

You suspect correctly :rolleyes:

12. TwinRichard

13. starmaker

starmaker Well-Known Member

Well ofcourse I am watching, living in Holland it is very hard not to watch it ;) So far watched all the dutch games, and also watched the games at night when I had time. Good thing I finally have some more time on my hands. (Only two more days at the internship and then prepare for the graduation meeting in 8 days.)

I am really liking the world cup, Holland is trough to the next round, it is only a matter now if they are first or second in the group. I did not think they played well though, and hope to see them play more fun matches.
    I hoped South-Africa was going to qualify for the 8th finals as well, but if I am not mistaken they did not? Hopefully Ivory Coast wil get to the 8th finals, I really like their team.

I could also do without the vuvuzela's, they are driving me insane :rolleyes: I actually have turned the sound of during several games when it was getting to annoying.

14. TwinRichard

I need either the Dutch or the Brazilians (but not both!) to come in second in their group or they will play in the quarter finals which I don't want to happen.

If you are wondering why I am up so late, I was just finishing watching the New Zealand - Italy match.

15. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I am staying as far away as possible, thankfully no one in my family follows it so I don't have to hear about it :)

16. TwinPeshi

You still posted though! I've heard that SBS has a special programme for people that don't want to watch the world cup being shown every night starting at nine o'clock :p

17. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I know, but still ;) I don't watch it. I have watched the whole season of sex in the city since Friday week ago, spent from Friday-Sunday afternoon in Canberra, was a good weekend :) 6 weeks off may be good!

18. TwinPeshi

You don't watch football but you watch that? :p

What did you do in Canberra? Did you say hello to Kevin?

19. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Yep I do ;) I don't like watching sport.

Went out for a friends 19th, got home at 3am to another friends uni room, I slept on the floor. not so fun :p But all in all was good. No sadly Kevin my best friend was to busy ;)
    I came home to a lovely email with my phone bill on it. $115.88 because of a phone call to Iceland didn't come out of my cap! :hush: Wasn't impressed! Thankfully I was ahead and only owed $15.88 which I quickly paid.

20. TwinPeshi

Codie! What did you do to Kevin?

21. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Well lets just say I made him quit :p

22. TwinPeshi

I thought he was your best friend :p

23. Code

Code Well-Known Member

He was but Julia stole him off me :cry:

24. TwinRichard

Somehow I doubt Kevin thinks Julia is his best friend now :p

25. Code

Code Well-Known Member

:woo: :woo: I can have Kevin back then!!! ;) :p

26. TwinPeshi

I'm sure you're thrilled :p

27. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Oh Adrian I am ;)

28. Twinrific

The Spain vs Chile game currently happening is quite good! I'm watching while posting. (Obviously rooting for Spain) I'm so jealous of Gerda and CP they're at the game!

And I have no clue who Kevin or Julia is :p

29. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Kevin is our old prime minister who quit/ got kicked out of office the other day, Julia is the new prime minister - and Australia's first female one :)

30. TwinPeshi

Why is it obvious that you are supporting Spain? You should have gone to the match with them :p Where were they sitting?

I was wondering if somebody would be brave enough to ask that question :p

The females are taking over :p I now live somewhere with a female mayor, a female member of the state parliament, a female state premier, a female member of the federal parliament, a female prime minister, a female governor-general and a female head of state...

31. TwinRichard

I'll have to watch the highlights to see if I can see Gerda, hopefully they're sitting somewhere obvious!

I'm not pleased that Portugal didn't win because this means that the Dutch and Brazilians will play each other in the quarter finals which I didn't want. :(

I knew that discussion would look strange to anybody who didn't know what had happened in Australian politics over the past few days :p

32. starmaker

starmaker Well-Known Member

Well with the way the dutch are playing they will not be at the quarter finals ;)

Brenda, thanks for asking about Kevin and Julia, I really didn't have a clue who they where :FIFblush:
    Also why root for Spain and not Chile?

Monday the dutch will play their next game against Slovakia, hopefully it will be a fun game to watch.

I also have my graduation meeting that monday morning, so if all goes well I will be celebrating no matter the outcome of the game :)

Still haven't prepared much for monday though, can't seem to make myself do anything in preparation. I should really start to at least practice the presentation in dutch(I have given the presentation in english before).
    Can't wait for it to be monday afternoon and hopefully be finished with all the schooling.

33. TwinRichard

They have been one of the better European teams so I think they probably will make to the quarter finals.

Good luck ;) Hopefully it goes well.

Sounds like me during the last few days. I have things to do but I just don't feel like doing it :p

34. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I wish I had stuff to do :( 6 weeks off stinks I am THAT bored and I still have another month off!! Yes I am complaining about not having stuff to do have nerdy of me ;) "normal" people love freedom I on the other hand dislike it :p

35. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Joyce I cannot believe your nephew is almost 1! That is crazy!! :)