Thanksgiving day/Black Friday shopping?

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Nov 11, 2012.

?

Will you shop before midnight Black Friday?

1. Yes, if the stores will be open I will be there

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. No, but I will shop at midnight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but I will shop before 3am

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, but I will shop before 6am

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. No, but I will shop during the day Black Friday

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. No, but I will do online shopping

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  7. No, I do not plan to do any Black Friday shopping

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I heard that some Walmart stores and I am sure some others will be open for shopping on Thanksgiving day. Will you be in those crowds? Are you one that likes to be in that midnight or 3am opening line?

I never plan on buying anything on Black Friday but because I work retail and there are some very good deals I have bought things in the past. I am on the schedule to work again this year but thankfully I will not be there for our 12:10am opening

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Tony's planning on going out at 8 pm to WalMart to get an XBox but other than that we usually avoid BF shopping...

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Doubtful! We are always out of town for Thanksgiving, so I never plan on doing BF shopping. Not sure if I would or not if I was at home.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do! But honestly, it's more for the atmosphere vs anything on a shopping list. And in Mass, stores can't be open at all on Thanksgiving, so no 8 pm opening at Walmart here! DH wants to get a new flatscreen TV as ours has three lines going up the middle of it. I said that's fine and dandy if he wants to get in line at 8 pm. Not I! And he is also interested in the Galaxy tablet. Again-he can wait in line. I'm not.

In the past, it was myself, my MIL, my mother, SIL, and my sister. This year-it may just be me and my mom. I don't go for anything specific. I usually pick up good deals if I find them and hope for the best!

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Heck no! No way, no how. I might check out sales online, but only if I happen to be online and just surfing.

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I'll probably check some online sights, but definitely will not be leaving the house.

7. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much done with my shopping but if I see anything worthwhile, I may go out.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Rarely, I have ventured out after lunch on friday to see if I could get anything that was left, and usually got about half of what I went for. This year, no big plans to rush out unless there's some amazing deals. I'd rather spend time with my family than go shopping. That's what Thanksgiving is about to me. I just don't get the big "spend spend spend" mindset the day after Thanksgiving :pardon:

9. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I REFUSE to shop on Thanksgiving. It really iritates me, too. Pretty soon it won't even matter and everything will be open that day.

I do usually go out to get flannel at JoAnn's. It opens at 6am, or always has in the past. It sounds nuts, but it's a great price and when I'm sewing PJs for 6 kids and doing other sewing, it's worth it. Then we catch breakfast and check out other stores to see what deals are left. I won't go to Walmart until MUCH later in the day, if at all. I tried that once and it's nuts.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with this! I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving out of principle. Black Friday I stay away from the malls because I get panicky in crowds, so Black Friday shopping is not for me. I don't plan on shopping either day but if I do shop it would be online.

11. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Here you can see all the sales in advance. I spent about 30 minutes last night going through the stores I usually go to and there was not one thing that I seen that would make me need to stay up or wake up early for.

I may go to Kohl's since I have the credit card and they usually send coupons for those days. Plus they're upping their Kohl's cash from $10 to $15 for every $50 spent. :smilie_xmas_116:

12. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I am annoyed that the whole BF thing gets earlier and earlier. No I will not be shopping until about 1 or 2 since we will be driving back from out of town. I also do not think that the sales are very good this year.

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't do any BF shopping. The whole idea of fighting crowds for something we may or may not even like doesn't appeal to me.

14. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Wild horses couldn't drag me out to the Black Friday sales. :bad: In fact, I don't do much store shopping for the holidays at all. 90% of our shopping is done online.

15. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My DH went up to Walmart on Thanksgiving night last year to try to get the Lego set that was on sale, and there was absolutely not a parking space to be found so he gave up before even going in. Luckily my dad did end up getting the set (it was a nice set!)

I won't shop until early Black Friday morning, but I get up at 4:45am for the gym regularly anyways, so it's just another wake up for me. But DH can be talked into going out Thanksgiving night for the right deal (namely, Legos or electronics).

16. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

Even before I worked retail I dispised the idea of shopping on Thanksgiving day or Black Friday. Me shopping meant that people had to be away from their families on the Holliday. Now that I work retail I hate it even more. Don't get me wrong I think it's great for my company to make a profit but I think it rots that it is at the expense of employees family time.

I really do not know who is to blame in all this earlier opening stuff. If shoppers did not take advantage of it it would not be offered and if it were not offered it would not be taken advantage of.

No matter my feelings on the subject I will tell ever shopper who asks that I am happy to be there to help them, and that I am happy to have the job I have no matters the hours I am working that day.

I do not plan to do any shopping. I will not have to buy a drink or food during my breaks, my co. Is providing catered food for all employees the entire day.

17. Chrissy Nelson

I have never experienced any of the craziness they show online. I go with a large group of girlfriends and we just make a night out of it. We stop and have bfast, it is actually pretty fun.

18. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I put no, but I am shopping on Thursday night. Kmart has a big sale on Trampolines starting Thursday night so I am going specifically for that purpose. I am undecided about Friday.

19. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I hate crowds, I hate standing in line, rude people make me angry, but I still shop on Black Friday. Last year, I did shop on Thanksgiving with my mom. WalMart starts their sales around 9 or 10 and our Thanksgiving togetherness is well over by that time. All of our family lives in the area, and we all have young kids, so we eat early in the day and by 7-8, everyone is home.

I don't shop just to spends tons of money, nor do I shop for the thrill of it. I actually hate shopping, and shopping for gifts really stresses me out. But money is tight for us, and if I could snag things we need, or gifts the kids have asked for, I will deal with the Black Friday craziness. For example, one year when my husband was still in school, he needed a printer, with a scanner if possible. Best Buy had a printer and scanner for $50, regularly around $200. How could I pass that? They only had 10 offered and I got one of them. Last year, he needed an office chair and two of the kids wanted a Leapster. I got the office chair for a very affordable $40 (about 75% what it ran normally) and the Leapters were half price, so essentially, I was able to get two of them for the price of one. I can't pass those deals up and it allows me to get a few gifts that are wanted and in our budget.

Even though I voted that I would shop Black Friday deals on Thanksgiving, I can't say I am for sure. I haven't seen what the sale items are, so I don't know if it's worth my time and energy. I will only go out if the store is running a really good deal on something we already have on the list as needing to buy (for Christmas or otherwise).

20. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I don't shop on Thanksgiving, but I do go out on Black Friday (typically around 5 am) and shop. I can get some good deals, the lines are never that bad for me and I enjoy the atmosphere. We will bew in Illinois this year with my Mom, so I will have to see what the adds have and if I will venture out there. Since it won't be my normal store locations, I might skip this year.

21. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

This

22. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Hmm doesn't look like I can vote on my phone. I would do some shopping on Black Friday but I simply won't have time. Between family visits, work, and the girls I wouldn't be able to get out until 8 pm on black Friday and I am guessing there won't be much point then.

23. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I didn't vote in the poll since I will not be in the US for Thanksgiving this year, but I wanted to say, I used to love Black Friday--but this has gone too far. Even opening at midnight has gone too far. 6 o'clock in the morning is a fun thing.

I think people who go on Thursday evening are 1)showing dissrespect for retail workers, and 2) letting retailers manipulate them.
    :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:

24. Chrissy Nelson

I agree, if people continue to shop earlier and earlier then the stores are going to continue to push back the times.

25. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

That doesn't bother me...my husband says this all the time :) But if I can save $100 bucks on something, I'm going...manipulation or not, I could care less, my wallet feels better.

26. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I really don't see how I'm disrespecting retail workers for shopping late on Thanksgiving or anytime on Black Friday. My shopping or not makes not a speck of difference to the retailer. I agree, if the masses boycotted, it would make a difference, but that hasn't happened, nor do I see it happening. If I'm being manipulated, fine, I'm able to afford things I needed/wanted anyway and am saving a ton of money.

I didn't shop on Black Friday for years and stay away from movie theaters on Christmas Day. Has it made any difference? No. Retail workers are still working, more places are open on Christmas Day, Christmas Day movies are one of the biggest money days for theaters and Black Friday has now creeped into Thursday night.

The fact is, people need jobs, stores are out to make money, and ordinary folks like me need or want to get the best deal for their money.

I wish I were in a position, financially, to stick my nose in the air about saving a few hundred dollars, but I'm not. Judge me all you want.