Telling kids the truth about Santa?

Discussion in 'General' started by brianamurnion, Dec 8, 2007.

1. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

I have debated this many times. My parents told me at a very young age that Santa wasnt "real", but told me the real story about St. Nick and also taught me the true meaning of Christmas (the birth of Jesus Christ) I never never remember in my life thinking Santa was real... and I turned out very normal... or so I would like to think! LOL My mom still filled stockings for us and Christmas was always awesome.

Okay so my story starts last Christmas when I was preggo with twins and justifiably a crazy woman. My kids were crazy with Santa santa santa.
    1. I have never been good with the "santa secret" I am always slipping up and saying things like "I thought you would love that toy." child's response "I thought santa brought it not you??" Ooops.
    2. I am a little jealous of Santa ... why should he get the credit for all my hard work in finding just what my kiddos asked for?
    3. Then in the car, Taylor, my then 5yo, tells me that she is going to "quit praying to God and Jesus and start praying to Santa" because he brings her what she wants!! WHAT!!!

So right then and there I turned the music off and told them that I was Santa and me and daddy bought all their presents and that all little kids' mom and dads did this for them, and I also included the story of St Nick and reminded them again of the birth of Jesus. WELL..... it didnt work... all three of them simply chose not to believe me!! And my Christmas morning had forgotten everything I had told them... yes true story. So my debate is should I tell them again this year or should I let them have this belief in Santa as all innocent children do?? My kids are 8, 6 and 4 and 9 months but I dont think the twins will care who brings them gifts this year!! LOL

I would love to hear all points of view... thanks.

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Personally, I would let them have the mystery and let them find out one by one and they will love holding that knowledge in while their brothers and sisters oooh and aahhhh about Santa.

3. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

We decided that we would never do the Santa thing. We are firm believers that "all good things come from Jesus" so why should some mythical fat guy get all the glory? You know, your kids aren't born with the 'knowledge of Santa,' its something that parents put into their heads! Now, I know this will step on some toes, but I am not going to lie to my child about something that is completely untrue! My children know who St. Nicholas was and they see him as what he is, a figure in history. We celebrate Christmas by talking about the birth of Jesus (which, btw, wasnt even when he was born, but thats a whole other thread! lol)!!

I know there are some people who say "oh, its just for fun, what the harm?" Well, I guess there is no direct harm, but whats the point? Our family has TONS of fun and we create awesome new memories every year, without the help of "Santa"... I get flack from some people for, in some peoples eyes, not "letting my kids be kids" but that is bologna!! They have imaginations and they can pretend all they want, but centering a holiday around something so insignificant is just not something that my family does.

JMHO

(for what its worth, I grew up thinking Santa was real...)

4. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

My SD will be 10 next month and she was constantly asking questions and being greedy with lists to give to ppl of things she wanted so DH did finally tell her when she asked about it. He also told her that she should appreciate everything she gets and the whole magic of Christmas is still there she will be able to continue Santa with her brothers who will be two in 2 weeks...she was the only one in her class who still believed so that is why she was questioning everything. I did google this before DH said anything because I was iffy but I read a Ped's advice (which I could not find) that if and when you decide to tell your child because they are questioning or simply want to know that if they do not want to accept that Santa is not real they simply will not and if they are old enough and the parent believes that are ready for the next step it will be an easy transition which it has been for us.

5. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I did not have to tell mine. They reach a certain age (7ish) where they just realize that it's not really true. If they ask, then yes, I explain. I did not ever have to "break it to them" or anything like that. My girls are little and they believe and they enjoy it, and we let them enjoy it. I want my children to have joy whenever they can. I think when the boys asked I said that Santa represents the spirit of giving.

We don't really do an over-the-top Santa thing, though. Santa brings each child one gift (which is unwrapped under the tree) and fills the stockings. All other gifts come from family and friends, and they know that. He does not get the credit for everything.

However, I am not a Christian, so I do not have the whole Jesus/Santa conflict to deal with. That simply is not an issue for me.

6. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

all three of them simply chose not to believe me!!

I would follow their lead. They are choosing to believe in the fantasy/story/magic of Santa. There is nothing wrong in that. Children can believe in stories and still know the truth about why we celebrate Christmas.

7. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I don't tell my girls that their is a Santa and have them believe in it but other people on both sides of our families ask them and talk to them about Santa. The gifts under our tree don't say from santa but they also don't say they are from us. I figure if they ask me if there is a Santa I will tell them the truth no matter what age they are and I am not going to pretend there is one by asking them to write Santa and ask for something. I even go shopping with them and they pick out some things they want and I buy them right then and there and put them under the tree. Now mine are still young so them might not remember going with me to the store and buying that toy or clothing item but I figure why pretend and atleast I am getting them something I know they like and want. I think if your kids ask then tell them the truth but I also wouldn't let them pray to Santa instead, if they mention doing that again this year I would tell them the same thing as you told them last time and hopefully they believe you. I also get flack from my family that it is all in fun but I just don't see how lieing to them is all in fun. But I believe it's everyones chose and it doesn't bother me what others do.

8. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you choose to not let your children have Santa then I strongly encourage you to tell them to not tell other children. Last year a 9 year old told everyone at day care that there isn't a Santa and that if you believe in him you are going to ****. I was speechless, I've had bean spillers before but none quite so rude. Our Jehovah's Witness child piped up and at age 6 said "some people believe and others don't" and everyone accepted that because they knew he didn't celebrate holidays already.

This year I have 3 older kids 9-10 who know the truth but they are great about it (and all have younger siblings who still think Santa is great)

9. rubyturquoise

QUOTE(Kendra @ Dec 8 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]526172[/snapback]
    If you choose to not let your children have Santa then I strongly encourage you to tell them to not tell other children. Last year a 9 year old told everyone at day care that there isn't a Santa and that if you believe in him you are going to ****. I was speechless, I've had bean spillers before but none quite so rude. Our Jehovah's Witness child piped up and at age 6 said "some people believe and others don't" and everyone accepted that because they knew he didn't celebrate holidays already.

This year I have 3 older kids 9-10 who know the truth but they are great about it (and all have younger siblings who still think Santa is great)

Yes, I agree with this. We don't write Santa, and praying to him had never occurred to me (or my kids), but I have certainly coached my boys not to disillusion anyone else's children since they've known. That is a parent's prerogative.

10. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

I'm really struggling with this right now. DS1 is seven (almost eight) and I know at some point, he's going to figure it out, if he hasn't already. Part of me is sad, the other part of me is excited...because now, he can be a part of passing on the spirit to his brothers. We've decided to talk about the real St. Nick, as well as Jesus. When we talk about Christmas, we stress that it's Jesus' birthday and that's why we celebrate by giving gifts as the Wise Men did. I'm hoping that helps later on.

We don't really emphasize Santa too much in our house, I guess. The boys get one gift that says "From Santa" and then, of course, his stocking. I don't know. I think it's totally possible to celebrate Christmas by including both Jesus and Santa without taking away the real meaning.

11. HeyThere

QUOTE(Kendra @ Dec 8 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]526172[/snapback]

My kids know that some people like to pretend there is a Santa and that it is just something that we dont do. I also know that they wouldnt maliciously tell anyone that there is not a Santa. BUT if it comes up, I will not ask my child to help keep the lie going. It has come up in Kindergarten already... One of DS's friends asked him what he asked Santa for and DS said "nothing" and the little boy asked why and DS said "there is no Santa" and the little boy said "well as long as I get my remote control car I dont care who gets it for me" :lol: I guess it will be different in different situations, but if he is asked he will be honest and I would never ask him not to.

12. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(HeyThere @ Dec 8 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]526183[/snapback]
    My kids know that some people like to pretend there is a Santa and that it is just something that we dont do. I also know that they wouldnt maliciously tell anyone that there is not a Santa. BUT if it comes up, I will not ask my child to help keep the lie going. It has come up in Kindergarten already... One of DS's friends asked him what he asked Santa for and DS said "nothing" and the little boy asked why and DS said "there is no Santa" and the little boy said "well as long as I get my remote control car I dont care who gets it for me" :lol: I guess it will be different in different situations, but if he is asked he will be honest and I would never ask him not to.

1st off... thank you for all the insight. I also told my kids last year that they should not tell all their friends Santa isnt real, but it didnt matter because as stated before they didnt believe me in the 1st place. We are a Christian family and we teach our children much more about Jesus than Santa, but Santa is in the day to day world everywhere this time of year.

LOL Heythere, we actually had a discussion the other night when Siera 8yo asked how we "knew" Jesus was born on Dec. 25th... I had to explain that one too... I just told her it was a day we all chose to celebrate it even though we didnt know exactally what day he was born, she accepted that answer.

Thanks again everyone.

13. whosermomma

whosermomma Well-Known Member

Well, I grew up in a home and my dad went way out on Santa. Even till the day he died, we still got gifts from Santa. :lol

That being said, it never changed my strong faith and love for Christ. I eventually found out on my own and as I got older I would laugh at the lengths my dad would go to have us believe. It was just something fun.

With my children, we do Santa. My older 3 obviously are too old, but we still sign gifts Santa for the fun. They also know the real reason why we celebrate Christmas which is celebrating the birth of Christ. We even bake a cake and talk about it before we open presents.

I wish I had a quote about Santa that my favorite author, Dr. James Dobson, wrote.

So in saying all that. This year, Santa's coming, but we are celebrating Christ. I will never say anything and always tease with them up until they day I die.

14. angelsmom2001

BUT if it comes up, I will not ask my child to help keep the lie going.

I'm sorry but I have a problem with this. And if your child decided to tell mine there was no Santa, or that mom and dad were Santa, YOU would have a problem with me. It is not a lie to everyone, it may be to you, but it is not up to you or your child to decide how mine believe. Christian or not.

I am Christian, as a matter of fact I am a deacon in our church, contemplating taking ministerial courses. So its not a matter of my faith or my belief in Jesus. I teach this to my children. But I also allow them to belive in magic and imagination. WHY should your child be allowed to break the heart of another just because you think its a lie? To us it is not a LIE, its a magical story, based in both fact and fiction, changed over hundreds of years, in many different countries.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you (at least not until your child tells mine there is no Santa), but asking you to please let others parent their children their own way and find a way to not have your children burst the bubble for othes. Its not fair to those parents or for goodness sake to the children who WANT to believe.

15. HeyThere

QUOTE(angelsmom2001 @ Dec 8 2007, 05:24 PM) [snapback]526234[/snapback]
    I'm sorry but I have a problem with this. And if your child decided to tell mine there was no Santa, or that mom and dad were Santa, YOU would have a problem with me. It is not a lie to everyone, it may be to you, but it is not up to you or your child to decide how mine believe. Christian or not.

I am Christian, as a matter of fact I am a deacon in our church, contemplating taking ministerial courses. So its not a matter of my faith or my belief in Jesus. I teach this to my children. But I also allow them to belive in magic and imagination. WHY should your child be allowed to break the heart of another just because you think its a lie? To us it is not a LIE, its a magical story, based in both fact and fiction, changed over hundreds of years, in many different countries.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you (at least not until your child tells mine there is no Santa), but asking you to please let others parent their children their own way and find a way to not have your children burst the bubble for others. Its not fair to those parents or for goodness sake to the children who WANT to believe.

Well, then I guess we would go rounds. Telling your children that SANTA got their gifts for them and that he is alive and well is a LIE. Fun and magical it may be, but its still a lie. My children DO know that other people pretend that Santa is real and that its not our place to tell them that he is not. Just like my children believe that smoking is not good for you, but they know that we dont tell every person we see that smokes that it is bad for them... BUT, if it comes up, like in that situation with my son I quoted in my previous post, my child WILL NOT lie just because you want your children to keep believing. And like another poster said, if they are not ready to stop believing, they wont. Oh and dont even get me started on whats "fair"...

So, here is the definition of a lie:

1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
    2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.
    3. an inaccurate or false statement.

16. angelsmom2001

Telling your children that SANTA got their gifts for them and that he is alive and well is a LIE. Fun and magical it may be, but its still a lie.

It is YOUR OPINION that it is a lie. It is MY OPINION that it is a STORY. If I follow your logic, every story your child reads that is not nonfiction is a lie. Your children should then not be reading any books that aren't nonfiction books. Nor should they be watching any tv or playing games, or using their imaginations.

Please don't let your children spoil someone elses childrens enjoyment of the season the way their parents want them to be able to enjoy it. Its not up to you to make that decision for MY FAMILY.

17. HeyThere

QUOTE(angelsmom2001 @ Dec 8 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]526250[/snapback]
    It is YOUR OPINION that it is a lie. It is MY OPINION that it is a STORY. If I follow your logic, every story your child reads that is not nonfiction is a lie. Your children should then not be reading any books that aren't nonfiction books. Nor should they be watching any tv or playing games, or using their imaginations.

Please don't let your children spoil someone elses childrens enjoyment of the season the way their parents want them to be able to enjoy it. Its not up to you to make that decision for MY FAMILY.

Okay, no comparison... Santa, lives at the North Pole, makes presents, gets in a sleigh, flies (with reindeer), and brings presents into your house in the middle of the night. THAT IS A FLAT OUT LIE!!!

Reading a book about Santa is fine. Reading Non-Fiction books is fine, its make believe and that is fine. They know it is not real and they are pretending. Letting your children believe something is true when it is not is not just pretending. I dont tell my kids that the Berenstein (sp?) Bears are real and they may come for Thanksgiving, or maybe send a pie.

You can use your imagination and pretend all while knowing that what you are imagining and pretending is not true.

And again, my children are not picketing the stores screaming "Santa is not real" they are just not going ot be told to lie when asked. FOR ANY REASON.

Edited to fix my bad typing!

18. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

We also do not tell our kids that santa gives gifts. I grew up knowing the Santa Claus story and how many people liked to tell their kids about it. My parents chose not to emphasize Santa or to encourage us to "believe" in him. And we have chosen the same for our kids. My kids know the story of St. Nick...they know the concept of Santa and how some families teach their kids that Santa brings the gifts. But I have a very firm belief in never confusing my kids with "the truth" by encouraging them to believe fantasy as truth. It's fine to introduce fantasy to your kids...but they should know the difference between a story and the truth...IMHO. And for me, I want my kids to know the difference between my statement "Jesus is the truth...He is alive...he cares about you...He gave his life for you..." and stories about Santa. If I introduce both, claiming both as truth...and then they discover one is totally fictional, how will they ever believe me again? I care too much about my kids trusting what I say as truth to introduce something so unnecessary to the joy of the holiday. That being said, I have instructed my 4 year old to not go around telling other kids that Santa isn't real. I've made it clear that this is not her job...that other childrens' parents must choose for themselves what they tell their kids. However, like Heather, if my child were asked about it I would expect and encourage them to always answer truthfully...the same as I would if a child came and asked me. I don't want my kid or myself to dash any young persons' world by revealing to them the fantasy of a story they saw as truth...but in this case...they will inevitably find out the truth from someone at some point...so how can anyone expect their child to come away completely unscathed?? It's a set up for disappointment...some kids just take it more in stride than others! That's part of why I think the best policy is to just not emphasize it in the holiday to begin with. Our kids will face enough "loss of innocence" moments in their introduction to the world..why on earth would I want to set them up for an artificial disappointment? The trade off isn't worth it when I view how joyfully the holiday can be spent focusing on other things like the people around you who love and care for you. Bottom line for me..My kids don't need Santa to bring them joy...

19. blessed momma

blessed momma Well-Known Member

We decided that we would never do the Santa thing. We are firm believers that "all good things come from Jesus" so why should some mythical fat guy get all the glory? You know, your kids aren't born with the 'knowledge of Santa,' its something that parents put into their heads! Now, I know this will step on some toes, but I am not going to lie to my child about something that is completely untrue! My children know who St. Nicholas was and they see him as what he is, a figure in history. We celebrate Christmas by talking about the birth of Jesus (which, btw, wasnt even when he was born, but thats a whole other thread! lol)!!

I know there are some people who say "oh, its just for fun, what the harm?" Well, I guess there is no direct harm, but whats the point? Our family has TONS of fun and we create awesome new memories every year, without the help of "Santa"... I get flack from some people for, in some peoples eyes, not "letting my kids be kids" but that is bologna!! They have imaginations and they can pretend all they want, but centering a holiday around something so insignificant is just not something that my family does.

JMHO

(for what its worth, I grew up thinking Santa was real...)

Same here. If my children are point blank asked about Santa they just simply reply that they don't believe in Santa. My DH and I have told them not to go around telling other kids that santa isn't real, but to just say I don't believe in him. I find kids are usually ok with that. They can go home and talk to their parents about it. I respect the parents right to parent their children and ask that they respect my right as well.

20. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

I grew up with a very firm belief in Santa...AND Jesus, they are not mutually exclusive. Santa is the best part of the innocence and wonder of childhood. Santa is not a fat man in a suit who gets all the credit, Santa is a feeling, a momentum of generosity, an inspiration. I say let kids have their magic, and in giving them the magic in Santa you give them the capacity to believe all the magic of Jesus...

My thoughts can be summed up in the news article "Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus" found here

As for asking your children not to lie... would you prefer that those children who don't believe in Jesus tell your children there is no Jesus? Or would you rather these children just simply say, different people believe different things...? Many people don't believe in the Judeo-Christian god and yet would not ridicule your beliefs or let there children do so.... just food for thought.

21. mom2znl

mom2znl Well-Known Member

I'm a Christian and grew up in a Christian home. Santa has brought me presents all my life. I never had a "hey, you've been lying to me" experience with my parents. I just gradually was included in more of the secrets that parents do a lot of the practical work of delivering "Santa" gifts. Eventually, with my siblings I took on the fun task of filling my parents stocking. I think it can be a delightful tradition to share in and for some who enjoyed the magic as children, a great one to pass on. Some people's generosity is channeled though the idea of santa. For example, I'm sure some people think of themselves as Santa when buying gifts for needy children through the angel tree program at church.

22. blessed momma

blessed momma Well-Known Member

http://www.new-life.net/chrtms20.htm

I hope this link works. This is a poem entitled, Yes, Virginia, there is a Savior. Two of our young people in our church recited this at our Christmas banquet last night. I love it!

23. Christie B.

Christie B. Well-Known Member

QUOTE(blessed momma @ Dec 9 2007, 03:02 AM) [snapback]526327[/snapback]
    http://www.new-life.net/chrtms20.htm

I hope this link works. This is a poem entitled, Yes, Virginia, there is a Savior. Two of our young people in our church recited this at our Christmas banquet last night. I love it!

I LOVE IT!!

24. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a great thread. I honestly never knew that some people believe that Santa can interfere with kids' ideas about Jesus, like in the poem in the PP.
    I grew up with a strong sense of who Jesus is and who Santa is, and for some reason the two never really met in my mind. I never thought lighting the advent wreath on our dining room table was any more or less magical than going to meet Santa at the store. To me all of our traditions were just so special..
    I guess I've always looked at the Santa thing (along with the Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and actual visits from St Nick) as one of those things kids enjoy, and knowing the "truth" about them is a little bit of a loss of innocence, because frankly the world isn't as magical and the world isn't as broad and wide anymore by the time you are learning the truth.
    I think I just believe that kids have the rest of their lives to be cynical...let them believe in some magic while they still can.

25. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

For me, my best memories of Christmas was when I believed in Santa...and I did til I was in 5th grade...and proud of it!!! It was so much more fun and magical. One year I was in the hospital on Christmas Eve. I kept looking out the window looking for Rudolph. My grandpa said he was coming (one of those blinking red lights on a tower). I hurried back to bed and the next day my stocking was full in the hospital...I got to go home that day. I always loved trying to hear the reindeer. I truely miss believing. Was I scarred from it....absolutely not or did it harm me in the sense of what Christmas really is...no. I do not know one person who has had issues because they believed in Santa then found out he wasn't real.

So for my children, I will not tell them unless they ask. Why take the magic away? Seeing the excitement is so wonderful to us and her (twins first Christmas).

April

26. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twindependent @ Dec 8 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]526357[/snapback]
    Wow, this is a great thread. I honestly never knew that some people believe that Santa can interfere with kids' ideas about Jesus, like in the poem in the PP.
    I grew up with a strong sense of who Jesus is and who Santa is, and for some reason the two never really met in my mind. I never thought lighting the advent wreath on our dining room table was any more or less magical than going to meet Santa at the store. To me all of our traditions were just so special..
    I guess I've always looked at the Santa thing (along with the Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and actual visits from St Nick) as one of those things kids enjoy, and knowing the "truth" about them is a little bit of a loss of innocence, because frankly the world isn't as magical and the world isn't as broad and wide anymore by the time you are learning the truth.
    I think I just believe that kids have the rest of their lives to be cynical...let them believe in some magic while they still can.

I don't think it is really about a belief in Santa interfering in a belief in Jesus, but rather where the focus of the holiday has gone. I'm reminded of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" where everything was being commercialized and Charlie Brown didn't even know what Christmas was really about. I find it strange that stores can be decked out in Christmas trees and Santas, yet the employees aren't even allowed to say "Merry Christmas" anymore.

I have no problem with my kids believing in Santa, but I do want to make sure that Christ is always the center of our Christmas celebration. I think that this is what the original poster was concerned with. Especially when her child said she was going to start praying to Santa. Am I right, 7Ms? I just want to let you know that I think you did the right thing. Make-believe is fine unless it starts to come before Christ.

If they "choose not be believe you" then I think you should just continue to make Christ the focus but not push the issue of Santa. If they ask about it, tell them the truth. After all, you've already told them once. If you just start to downplay Santa more that you ever have, they may just start to lose interest. Maybe you should also make sure to write "Mommy and Daddy" in the "from" section of the gift tags. Eventually they will outgrow it. In the meantime, I think us Christian parents have to work extra hard during Christmas to make sure our kids aren't being confused.

27. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

What do you mean Santa isn't real?????

I still get presents from him every year! He and his spirit is very real in our house. Don't you know Santa doesn't give presents to people that don't believe in him?

We also celebrate Jesus's birthday, do advent calendars, advent wreaths, put jesus in his manger on his birthday, go to church, the kids learn all about jesus in religious ed classes every week, and we just all went to confession. The two don't inerfere with each other in our house.

28. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kma13 @ Dec 9 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]526311[/snapback]
    As for asking your children not to lie... would you prefer that those children who don't believe in Jesus tell your children there is no Jesus? Or would you rather these children just simply say, different people believe different things...? Many people don't believe in the Judeo-Christian god and yet would not ridicule your beliefs or let there children do so.... just food for thought.

I like your take on this one! I grew up believing in Santa and it was magical. When I was a kid my parents gave all the gifts from Santa. Now that dh and I have kids we give one gift from Santa (usually the one most desired) unwrapped under the tree. The rest are from Mom and Dad.

29. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

My kids already know that Santa isnt real..and Jesus is. They also know that some people do play the Santa game..and we even sit on santa's lap for pictures..ect. But all presents are from mom, dad..or whomever..not santa. We also will have a BIG BIRTHDAY PARTY for the Reason for the Season...Jesus Christ. My kids know the story...love the story..and talk about baby Jesus all the time. They know that Christmas is a fun..happy..joyous time. Its about make believe..but its also about truth. You can have wonderful Christmas times without knowing about santa..I grew up that way. I loved my family Christmas time. I still have very fond memories..and did not lose out on the magical times..that some think is only about santa.

My kids dont go ruining it for others who do believe in santa. It doesnt even come up in most places. However I do tell them not to tell anyone else that santa isn't real...but do tell them the Jesus loves them. :)

Brandy

30. rubyturquoise

I guess I am having trouble seeing where the confusion would come from.

I am not Christian. I was not raised in the church. My parents had been, but chose not to take us for various reasons that are OT here. Anyway, we had a creche, we had the Nativity story and we had Santa. Even though we did not pray in my household and I had no real religious education, I knew that Jesus was for praying and Santa was not. I was never the least bit confused on this issue. I never felt betrayed to realize that Santa was not a corporeal being. I never felt lied to. It was more like a rite of passage: finally being "in on" something with the big people. I got to help create the magic for my baby sister. I think I may have enjoyed that even more than believing it myself.

And yes, my big kids know not to spoil Santa for anyone, and they also know not to question anyone's religious beliefs, because those are a deep part of people that should be respected.

31. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twoplustwo @ Dec 9 2007, 02:29 AM) [snapback]526435[/snapback]
    What do you mean Santa isn't real?????

I still get presents from him every year! He and his spirit is very real in our house. Don't you know Santa doesn't give presents to people that don't believe in him?

We also celebrate Jesus's birthday, do advent calendars, advent wreaths, put jesus in his manger on his birthday, go to church, the kids learn all about jesus in religious ed classes every week, and we just all went to confession. The two don't inerfere with each other in our house.

Santa is alive and well in our house!

I'm not trying to "diss" anyone who doesn't do the santa things I am just really surprised I actually didn't realize people did'nt, "everyone" I know does SANTA

32. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Thank you Kellie for providing the link to Franklin Church's classic, "Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" column. Wasn't that one of the best newspaper pieces ever written? I didn't realize that Church was the son of a minister and wrote about theology for the New York Sun, but I don't know if anyone could or ever will respond to this question more elogquently than he did. I also like the tidbit that the real Virginia became a teacher and school principal and educated our nation's kids for close to a half-century.

The holiday season offers us so many opportunities to instill important lessons to our children regardless of our beliefs. Last night we were out looking at Christmas lights and we saw one house that was spectacularly decorated. One of our twins started bawling because he wanted our house decorated like that gorgeous home and it led to a "it's not fair, we don't have nice things like everyone else" type of comment from him. I don't have Church's talents for answering children's tough inquiries, but tried to tell our son that part of the holiday season is appreciating what you have, bringing happiness to others, the material things aren't really what matters (that life lesson went totally ignored) and that there are billions of people in the world who are less fortunate and we shouldn't be hung up on how many decorations our house has.

All I know is that when we have our Santa Claus conversation in this household, I'm going to use Church's essay and also make sure that Brady and Colby don't spoil the fun for their little brother Holden.

33. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Santa is a very minor thing in our house. He brings one present -- whatever one they want most. The vast majority of their gifts come from us and and relatives, and our kids know that and are grateful to the people who bought the gifts. We also are very active in church, and Christmas Eve service ALWAYS comes before any presents. They are well aware of the true Christmas story and why we celebrate the season.

My oldest found out Santa was us on his own last Christmas, when he saw the item he knew Hayden had asked Santa for under a rug in the back of my car a couple weeks before the holiday. He said, "Mom, how come Hayden's present from Santa is in your car?" I said, "Why do you think?"
    and he said simply, "Because you and dad are Santa?" He was fine with it and truly enjoys keeping the secret and letting his brothers enjoy the magic for a little while longer.

34. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(twindependent @ Dec 8 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]526357[/snapback]

I grew up the same way. We believed in Santa and it in no way took away from our belief in God and Jesus. We had an advent calendar, we did the advent wreath every night before dinner, we went to church. We even sang Happy Birthday to Jesus every year with a candle in the Christmas Tree cake that my mom made. And we did all this while believing that Santa would be coming...

Each Christmas eve I go to Mass. The children in our church act out the Nativity. And at the end of the Mass, Santa comes in and brings a gift for Jesus to place alongside the gifts from the Wise Men.

My children will grow up with both the magic of Santa and their Catholic faith. It is possible to have both.

35. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kma13 @ Dec 9 2007, 02:48 AM)

I like your take on this one! I grew up believing in Santa and it was magical. When I was a kid my parents gave all the gifts from Santa. Now that dh and I have kids we give one gift from Santa (usually the one most desired) unwrapped under the tree. The rest are from Mom and Dad.

I agree here!

I grew up not believing in Santa--I am Jewish, I also don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah. BUT if I ever told anyone that either Santa or Jesus wasn't real, my parents would have been VERY angry at me! Actually, it would never have occured to tell someone that either one wasn't real. When kids would ask about Santa, I would simply say that I didn't believe in him. There is a HUGE difference between saying you don't believe in something, and saying it isn't real. Both are truth, but one can be very hurtful where the other one isn't. All the time I hear, "you can't tell me how to raise my children, and how to believe", but some of the same people feel it is OK to destroy another child's fantasy and belief system--and that is wrong.