teething tablets

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Apr 23, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

1. one of my LOs cut 6 teeth. i have no idea if others are on there way. is it ok to give them 3 before naps (2) and bedtime?

2. is the pain of teething over (so to speak) once the tooth cuts through the skin? i feel a lump under a gum and have been giving my other LO 3 teething tablets before his naps and just wanted to make sure this is ok.

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1.) I'd follow the directions on the bottle. I don't have teething tablets anymore so I don't remember what the dosing instructions are.

2.) For my girls the pain definitely eased up after they broke through the skin. But I think it's different for every child.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1. I checked my Little Teethers Tablets bottle and they recommend no more then 12 tablets a day.
    2. The pain definitely eased up for both of mine once the tooth broke through the gum.

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

sometimes I would start with just 1 tablet then if that didn't work, I'd give another... I kinda felt like I would be coming back into the room anyway, so this way I could offer another tablet...

good luck. hopefully their pain does slow down. I think I've read its really only 3 days before, during and after the tooth breaking through that it should hurt them...

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

That surprises me, but only because Colin seemed to definitely be teething months before his first teeth came through. We were at the in-laws over Thanksgiving and his cheeks were super red and he cried so much like he was in pain, but he would ease up on the crying if he sucked on a frozen teether or after we applied baby orajel. This happened off and on for like 4 months before his bottom 2 teeth finally popped through!! Has anybody else had babies who seemed to teeth for months before a tooth came through? I meant to ask my DH's uncle who is a retired dentist when I saw him the other month, but only remembered to ask him when to take the babies to the dentist (he said not until they have all of their teeth, usually around 2 years old). But I'm also pretty sure I overheard him telling DH's aunt that babies don't really experience pain during teething and she seemed incredulous, and rightfully so!

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yes, mine were toothless until about 9 months and the other at 11 months. I think they teethed FOREVER!!!!!

To the OP:

I dont know anything about the teething tablets, never used them. But I too noticed that once they came through life got a little easier.

7. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

Maybe the 3 day thing is for after they've started teeth? who knows... ours definitely aren't in pain for weeks at a time anymore with teeth... that first year is very hard for me to remember now... I just remember reading about that before, the day of, and the day after a tooth breaking through... but maybe its a bunch of bunk! :)