Teething Biscuits

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sullivanre, Jan 7, 2009.

1. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

My little Eli gnawed the sticker off his Elmo toy, so I broke into the teething biscuits to see if I could help him satisfy his need to gnaw. What do you think about teething biscuits?

Did you like them? How old were your kiddos? Do you think they help kids transition to finger foods?

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I offered them a few times, just to try something different, but found them a big messy pain. They very quickly break into chunks that I didn't consider safe for a young baby -- even though they do dissolve pretty easily, a large chunk could get stuck in their mouth or throats and cause them pain. Plus, they just turn into mush and get everywhere. I don't see the point of them. :huh:

If they need to chew on something, I'd rather just give them a chew toy. And small things like Cheerios and pasta are much easier for finger foods.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have to admit I did not like the teething biscuits. I was always afraid they were going to choke, b/c they would suck on them for awhile and then a big piece would break off into their mouths. Plus they were a huge mess.

But when they were at my mom's house they ate teething biscuits all the time. She is a nurse and doesn't mind a big mess so it was fine with me for them to get them at her house. :good:

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Jan 7 2009, 06:10 PM) [snapback]1137332[/snapback]
    I offered them a few times, just to try something different, but found them a big messy pain. They very quickly break into chunks that I didn't consider safe for a young baby -- even though they do dissolve pretty easily, a large chunk could get stuck in their mouth or throats and cause them pain. Plus, they just turn into mush and get everywhere. I don't see the point of them. :huh:

If they need to chew on something, I'd rather just give them a chew toy. And small things like Cheerios and pasta are much easier for finger foods.

Exactly when I was going to say. I still have some in the cabinet that I need to throw away.

5. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I agree, they are a HUGE mess and break off. The times I've given them I took them away when they started to break off, so it was kinda pointless anyway.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did with my singleton's, I actually would get them naked and plan to bath them afterwards! :lol: Yes they are messy, and I never did it if I was going to be walking away (usually if I was doing dishes and they were in the highchair next to me), but they are a great time killer when you are busy for a bit! :D

Now, cleaning up the mess with twins....I may rethink my strategy! :lol:

7. ghanigirl

ghanigirl Well-Known Member

I skimmed the other posts, but didn't read all of them. I know they are a mess, but they kept my kids busy for about 20-25 minutes one day this weekend. It was basically a snack before dinner, so I knew they were going to be messy during dinner. They actually had a fun time with them, so I just didn't care. :)

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine learned to eat solids without them. We tried to offer them and mine were not interested in them at all. We then just offered them baby chew toys.