Teething biscuits

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rtj, Apr 7, 2011.

1. rtj

rtj Well-Known Member

I just found the Baby Mum-Mum teething biscuits and my daughters love them. However, there is a concern that they are manufactured in China. Would you be concerned? What other biscuits can you use? Where can you get them? Most of the other ones say 9+ months.
    Thanks.

2. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

We haven't tried any teething biscuits but I'm open to suggestions too. My boys are trying to learn to feed themselves and I think this could kill two birds with stone. Does Gerber make something? I'm off to look...

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never liked the teething biscuits bc they are super messy and very hard so when they got down to the end of it you had to take it away so they wouldn't choke.
    For self feeding learning you can use any soft mushy foods...mine love carrots, peas, corn, puffs, cheerios, and especially pieces of bread. If you are looking for something for teething we just gave cold teething rings and sometimes an ice cube in one of those mesh feeders:)

4. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

My boys haven't been into picking up their own foods yet. They do pretty well with putting Puffs into their mouths if you put it in their hand, but they won't do it with soft foods. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the texture, and maybe being hungry enough. LOL

5. Angelfish

Angelfish Active Member

We let our girls gnaw on pieces of hard bread which is a) cheaper and b) healthier as it doesn't contain sugar (depending on the bread).

6. Cjoy

Cjoy Well-Known Member

Gerber makes a "Graduates lil' toddler biscuit"...they like it and it is not as messy as some other ones I have tried, and they do not have any issues eating them. Healthy Times makes a few different organic biscuits which they love, but they make a HUGE mess. I am with you on the 'Mum-Mums', I noticed the Made in China tag too.

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I always let mine have mum mums. If you read the ingredients they pretty much just have rice in them. Rice rusks are an Asian invention. It would be like going to the store for authentic rice crackers or spices and hoping they were made in the US. I understand avoiding toys made elsewhere due to lead paint concerns, but I've eaten all sorts of international foods and never had any concerns for myself or my kids.

I never liked the other teething biscuits because they were messy and I was afraid they'd get too much of a chunk off. Also, if you really want to get into it, Gerber is owned by Nestle's evil empire...

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think my boys ate their weight in mum-mums every day.

Bread does work, but it's messy. You can also look up simple recipes for crackers online... fairly easy to make! I think there's some recipes on wholesomebabyfoods.com

9. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

just from working in a mothers day out program I HATE teething biscuits. They are such a mess. Mine practice picking up food with puffs and they have teething rings for teething.

10. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I never used teething biscuits. For finger foods, we started with Puffs and then moved to peas and Cheerios.

11. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

I was concerned about it coming from the 'largest plant in china' but looked around and don't see any food safety concerns with the FDA or anything. My boys LOVE them I like them a lot more than Earths Best,, had to pull out a chunk from Joes throat last night! No more of those.

We like the num nums, and the gerber graduate cheese puffs. Bread they ripped off too much and when we tried ripping it they weren't interested.