teacher gifts?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by inspiredmommy, Dec 11, 2006.

1. inspiredmommy

inspiredmommy Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My singeleton son is in Kindergarten and I was wondering what you all do for gifts for teachers ect.? I am giving my son's main teacher and asst longaberger mugs with tastefully simple oh my chai tea in them. I have gotten Lindt truffles bags for the art, music, and gym teacher and a travel mug with dunkin donught gift certificate. Does this sound okay, too little, too much? Am I leaving anyone out?

2. inspiredmommy

inspiredmommy Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My singeleton son is in Kindergarten and I was wondering what you all do for gifts for teachers ect.? I am giving my son's main teacher and asst longaberger mugs with tastefully simple oh my chai tea in them. I have gotten Lindt truffles bags for the art, music, and gym teacher and a travel mug with dunkin donught gift certificate. Does this sound okay, too little, too much? Am I leaving anyone out?

3. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

I think those sounds very nice. We give gifts only to the main teacher. This year, they're getting hand-woven basket reed snowflakes made by my niece and nephew. Some past gifts have been a basket of coffees/teas/hot chocolates, a decorative item for the garden, and a tote bag painted by the child.

4. Tripsmommy

Tripsmommy Well-Known Member

Sounds good. We also get something for the principal, receptionist, nurse (if he has gone to see her). Basically anyone in the office. That reminds me, I'm off to go shopping!

5. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Those gifts sound very nice. We just give gifts to their main teacher and Brownie leader. Usually some Bath and Body scented lotion or small box of See's candy. Gift cards for Starbucks are BIG around here, so that's always an option.

6. Ellensgirls

Ellensgirls Well-Known Member

All those ideas are wonderful. Some of my favorite (if that isn't too rude to say) gifts have been things the students made or a book or gift card to Barnes and Noble.

7. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

My boys are not this age group yet, but I saw this ont he main mb page...

For Christmas, my boys gave thier preschool teacher a set of 2 Pampered Chef Coffee and More Cups (they are REALLY BIG and great for soups) and the PC Soups, Stews, and Chilis Recipe Collection.

Since this is our first year for them to be in school, do your kids usually get something for thier teacher at the end of the schol year?

Thanks

8. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

We always give either homemade jam or a gift certificate for Tim Horton's.

9. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

We just give to the main teacher also. I am thinking of getting a Borders gift cert. She got several of those at Christmas and was really excited about them. I may also get her a key with Winnie the Pooh on it.

10. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

When I give something, I make sure to give to the teachers and the aides. They all work with my children, and they all deserve credit.

11. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(missmomoftwins @ Feb 1 2007, 05:34 AM) [snapback]137362[/snapback]
    My boys are not this age group yet, but I saw this ont he main mb page...<BR><BR>For Christmas, my boys gave thier preschool teacher a set of 2 Pampered Chef Coffee and More Cups (they are REALLY BIG and great for soups) and the PC Soups, Stews, and Chilis Recipe Collection.<BR><BR>Since this is our first year for them to be in school, do your kids usually get something for thier teacher at the end of the schol year?<BR><BR>Thanks

This is my DD first year in school too and I do plan to get an end of the year gift as well. We did get her preschool teachers a Christmas gift and end of the year gift. That is what we will do all through school.

We do gift certificates for the teachers usually. I know as a former teacher that is one thing that was nice to get, not that it is expected at all, but it is nice to be able to do something with your family too.

12. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

For Christmas we have so many teachers, with preschool, Bible School, regular school, etc... That I made loaves of bread and wrap them in some pretty saran wrap and gave them each homemade hot chocolate mix in a pretty jar. I don't have the money to buy 8 teachers something.

The twins last day of Bible school was yesterday, and they have two teachers. I went to the grocery store and bought a small rose bush. It was 4.99. It was blooming a little and they can plant it outside if they want. I think that is what I am going to do for the rest of the teachers too. I had homemade cards that I used too.

13. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

Last Sunday was the last day of Religious School, and I'd forgotten to get the aide something. (He's a 16 year old volunteer, so I wasn't sure what to get him and kept procrastinating.) Anyway, last minute, I asked the boys to make him cards. They both love to draw and "write" cartoons, so they did a comic strip of diff. people in their class saying good-bye. That 16 year-old got such a kick out of those cards!

14. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I think that's very nice and generous of you. Usually only the main teachers got gifts in our school so I think that is very nice of you to give to them all. I think when my kids are in school, I will give a gift to the main teacher and any teacher that my kids show a real love for (talk about constantly). But perhaps when I'm actually in the situation I will feel different. I think Dunkin donuts is a great gift idea. Some others that I have found to be really nice that aren't usually too expensive are the pump soaps from Bath and Body Works (usually they are like 3 for 10 dollars so you could give one to each teacher and it makes a really nice gift). Also, Starbucks surprisingly often has a nice assortment of gift items such as really good teas, coffees, travel mugs, and the such.

15. mom of one plus two

mom of one plus two Well-Known Member

This year we are giving the bus driver, teachers and guides leaders each $3.00 Gift Certificate to Tim Horton's (Coffee Shop), a card Emily made and a flower Emily picked.

16. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

This year we ended up taking up collections for the teachers, and giving VISA check cards. I can get them from Commerce Bank at no charge. By taking up collections we were able to give teachers about $50-$60 from 5-7 parents--depending on the class.

17. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(sharongl @ Jun 21 2007, 07:22 AM) [snapback]301324[/snapback]
    This year we ended up taking up collections for the teachers, and giving VISA check cards. I can get them from Commerce Bank at no charge. By taking up collections we were able to give teachers about $50-$60 from 5-7 parents--depending on the class.

IMO, this is the way to go! In two of the three classes my kids were in the "room mother" asked for a donation of $5 per student so they could then buy one nice gift from everyone (either a gift card or a gift certificate for something they will use). Made my life much easier and I know the teachers got something they could really use!

18. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

My kids just finished pre-K, and were both in the same class. We gave the teacher and the two teacher's aids two movie passes in a Thank you card.