Tea

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by abrinka, Sep 27, 2009.

1. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

My DS is sick(fever, vomit) for the last 4 days and can barely hold any food or liquid in his stomach. I know when I get sick I drink lots of herbal or fruit teas, and it just hit me why can't I give some tea and crackers for him. Our pedi is on vacation, so I thought I would ask if any of you has any advice on teas for 14 month old.
    Thanks.

2. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

our pedi always tells us to give chamomille tea, I think it's naturally decaffinated but not sure. I think I would stick to decaf for sure though!

1 person likes this.
  3. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I've never even thought of this! Do you give it hot, warm, cold?

4. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I agree with melissak. Caffeine can cause dehydration, so give him tea, but decaf.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with this as well. I hope your little guy feels better!

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Poor little buddy! As PPs have said, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving him chamomile or decaf tea. Perhaps white tea, which has almost no caffeine and is very mild? I think chamomile tea is a very traditional remedy given to babies, mostly for colic, so it should be perfectly safe.

Hope he's feeling better today!

7. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

IS he able to keep down plain water?
    I often give my kiddos water but with a Lipton Green Tea flavor in it (similar to crystal light) those little 5 calorie packets. It gives the water some flavor and them some extra antioxidants...

8. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I agree to stick with decaf tea if you're going to give it to him. If herbal or fruit teas work for you, then I'd try them with him. Also, I'd suggest giving it to him warm. That way it'll go down easy, but not burn his throat.

Good luck, mama! It's no fun dealing with a sick child :(