Tampons, pads...recommendations?

Discussion in 'General' started by Callen, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

So DD is 11 and I think it is time to get a little "stuff" to have around.

Was taking a look the other day and see there is nothing marketed towards teens (in Walmart anyway). They were out of slims, so I came home with nothing.

I figure I will have both on hand for her. I know I prefer tampons myself, but who knows if she will

Care to share your experiences?

2. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

We don't use tampons right now. Heather is only on her 2nd period and Megan hasn't started yet. Heather just uses the same ultra thin pads that I use. I use Always. You can buy them with a cleansing wipe package on the outside of each pad.

3. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

I can only tell you what happened with me I used pads the first few times which I never liked so I started using tampons ASAP I think once she knows what is going on with it all you should let her choose for herself. i hope you find what you need good luck.

4. Millie&twins

Millie&twins Well-Known Member

I found it very difficult to use tampons when I was very young, of course the fact that my mom didnt use them didn't really help. I used pads (until I had my first penetrative sex and then started tampons and NEVER looked back), nowadays they are much better, there are very small ones, very discreet ones.

I have seen here (in Europe though) tampons aimed for very young girls (very small, very thin ones), but again, I would maybe start with pads, very small ones (and personally I would buy them with wings... my mom bought me non winged ones when I first started and I didn't realize there was another option, so I soiled a whole lot of underwear until I realized!).

Oh and if she doesn't start soon, don't worry! I started at age 12, but my sissy didn't until she was like 16 and she was seriously unhappy about it! Partially I think because my mom kept saying how strange it was that she didn't get her period yet!
    Millie

5. Zibeline

Zibeline Well-Known Member

I don't use tampons (my mother still insists when she wants to go to the swimming pool) because it hurts me... Yeah, I'm 18... My mother told me she started using tampons after our birth, before it hurt her too (even though she was not a virgin, I am) Pads are better IMO but it doesn't make this 'time of the month" any better XD

I knew a girl who had her first period at 15... I had mine at 11 (like my grandmother), my mother had hers at 12, her sister at 14... I didn't expect it to start so soon, it's always a good idea to have something to prevent bad surprises ! (well, in my case, it was during the weekend... exactly the day I was supposed to be born if I weren't a premature baby)

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Both my sisters started right around 13, but I was nearly 15. I did use pads for the first few, but once I got the hang of tampons, I never looked back. It's good to have both on hand so she can make up her mind.

7. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

When the girls went to summer camp this summer I bought them some tampons and when I explained them they seemed really weirded out that they were supposed to put something in "there".

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Donita @ Sep 10 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]974123[/snapback]
    When the girls went to summer camp this summer I bought them some tampons and when I explained them they seemed really weirded out that they were supposed to put something in "there".

That's how I was when I started too. I started when I was 11 and my mom had both for me but the idea of a tampon freaked me out! I didn't use a tampon until I was a lot older.

9. stinkyhobo10

stinkyhobo10 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(rubyturquoise @ Sep 10 2008, 12:17 PM) [snapback]973127[/snapback]
    Both my sisters started right around 13, but I was nearly 15. I did use pads for the first few, but once I got the hang of tampons, I never looked back. It's good to have both on hand so she can make up her mind.

That story just reminds me of something my friends mother did to her when they were on their cruise. She was completely freaked out but we all still laugh at her.

But anyways I started mine when I was 11, I am now 16. I would say for the first few years I used pads just because I was scared to use tampons and it really wasn't a big deal. But these days I play volleyball and I am not wearing a pad in spandex. Plus to me tampons are much more comfortable. I think both should be an option for her though. I have friends who still prefer pads.

10. Zibeline

Zibeline Well-Known Member

QUOTE(stinkyhobo10 @ Sep 10 2008, 08:04 PM) [snapback]974157[/snapback]
    That story just reminds me of something my friends mother did to her when they were on their cruise. She was completely freaked out but we all still laugh at her.

But anyways I started mine when I was 11, I am now 16. I would say for the first few years I used pads just because I was scared to use tampons and it really wasn't a big deal. But these days I play volleyball and I am not wearing a pad in spandex. Plus to me tampons are much more comfortable. I think both should be an option for her though. I have friends who still prefer pads.

Exactly, but for the first periods, pads may be a better option while they are at school or something like that. I have a friend who never used pads but it took her two years to use her tampons correctly :lol:
    Most girls prefers tampons when they grow up because it's less visible (and for many: it's more comfortable) but it's really just a question of comfort.

11. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

Don't have recs for stuff to use unless they still have slim ones for teens. I do recall tampons taking some practice though, so she might want to get a handle on having her period before she tries to get a handle on that.

12. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

The first time I got mine I lived with my aunt and she gave me a box of tampons and I had no idea what to do with them. I wasn't told anything.
    I used pads forever. I didn't start using tampons until I started having sex. I would buy her the OB tampons. I personally prefer no applicator I think it is easier to figure them out the first time around.

13. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

My teenage daughter prefers tapax pearls. She says they work really well and are more comfortable and easy to use. I usually buy 2 different types... one for heavy flow and one for light. It's what she asks for. I have always used pads. I prefer Kotex ultra thins. They work great, cost less, and don't leave me sore like Always brand does sometimes.

14. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I'd say pads unless they are heavily into sports are high activity extra curriculars. I was heavily into basketball when I started and begged mom for tampons because of the leakage issues due to all the sweating and moving. Tampons do make life of an sports enthusiast so much more comfortable!!

15. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

My kids arent this old yet, but from personal experience I would have died if my mom came at me with a tampon. I couldnt live without them now, but whenI was 13 the thoughts of one made me cringe. I used pad until I was about 20 yrs. old. I hate them now and cant imagine ever having to go back to them

16. starmaker

starmaker Well-Known Member

I prefer tampons these days but I've used pads for years.
    It definetley seemed easier back than, I have only used tampons for the last 2 years or so.
    They take some practice to not hurt but after that it's fine. I do usually prefer mini tampons and only use the normal ones on the heavy days. Virgin here still, so the normal sized ones aren't to comfortable to put in but after that it's fine.

I would just take pads for now for her and explain about the other methods as well.
    After a few times she can always decide she would like to try tampons or stick with the pads.

17. abbielaura

abbielaura New Member

Hi,

I agree that pads are probably easiest to begin with. Saying that, though, I started when I was 11, and immediately used tampons, as I was swimming 6 times a week, and there was really no other option. I remember being slightly embarrassed when my Mum explained what to do, but it wasn't too bad.

18. Bichon999

Bichon999 Well-Known Member

tampons are freaky.
    I tried them once and it really hurt.
    So I prefer pads.
    But I am younger, so maybe when I'm older I'll use tampons.