Taking the twins out

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by waitingfortwins, May 11, 2013.

1. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

Hi I have 16 week old twins and I am hesitant on taking them on an outing to say the grocery store or an infant drop in etc... It seems whenever I put them in the car seat they sleep (even after they just woke up from a nap and fed) and DD hates the car seat and will surely cry for a half an hour so unless it's constantly moving (but that doesn't always work). I would like to go to a restaurant with DH and eat while the babies sleep in their seats but I find that highly unlikely.

When did other twin moms start going out with their babies and how you do it? By yourself? With help? When did you take them out? Always after a nap and feed? Or was their outing their nap? (see I usually go out during their nap so they get some sleep).

DH is also wondering if we will ever go out in the evenings...our babies go to sleep btw 630-7 pm..so we do wind down at 6 or 615. Once they are put down we are ever so quiet as they have been known to wake up within a half hour to an hour of being put down. We were invited to a friends house for dinner but I'm not sure if we can go..they are quite fussy and at their wits end btw 4-7 and usually need a little nap to get them to bedtime so dinner at a friends house seems like a time with fussy babies that want to sleep.

What have other moms done? Just wondering as I find I've been cooped up in the house since they were born and have only done stroller walks and car rides (they stayed in the car)and am wanting to do more but don't want to compromise their daily naps.

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We started hauling them out within a few weeks of discharge from the NICU- probably close to 16 weeks, actually. It started out as my husband and I both going between naps (so we'd prep the diaper bag, load the car, then wake the girls, feed, and go!!). After awhile we grew more confident and ventured out even when a meal would be needed and we'd feed them while out (in their carriers or in our arms if needed). Finally, we were comfortable enough on our own with them. I remember feeding them in the lawn and garden section of Target during a shopping trip! :)

The trick is just to do it. There will be successes and failures and you'll learn what works for you. Nobody ever died from hearing a baby cry, so don't sweat it of it doesn't go perfectly every time. Each outing will help you gain confidence for the next one.

3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wish I would have sooner. We didn't right away bc they were early and it was winter and then I went back to work full time to cover a maternity leave. So when I went to part time they were 6 months old and I slowly started taking them out, usually with my sis and nephew who was the same age so I had some help but tried to do it myself. By 9 months I was taking them out once a week after their am nap until lunch just to get a few groceries:) The sooner you do it the more comfortable you will be:)

4. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

I think we started going out a few weeks after we got them home. I mean, we took them with us places, like for walks or whatever before that, but acyually going out was a few weeks. I also took them out on my own more around that time but generally avoided it when I could just because it was so much freakin' work to pull out the massive stroller and get them in and out...so unless it was something that was going to take awhile, I didn't bother. Too much work to do all that just to run in and out of a place. I still feel that way sometimes at 3 years old and they're never in a stroller anymore! But...as for US going out-

I generally tried to go places right after a nap once they were older and actually taking naps vs the infant always sleeping stage. At 3 naps a day, I usually would go out between the first and second. Get them up, feed them, and go. Get home in time for the next nap if possible. Dinners we aimed for early dining, like 5-ish and we still so this to some degree. That's when families are usually out anyway so less annoying if they made noise (vs people on dates or whatever).

We have never been too hung up on tight schedules though so I think that helped.

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We usually went out after nap. My kids were never good about sleeping anywhere except in their room or occasionally in the car, so we always protected nap time and went out right after a nap.

We never did any restaurants or evening dinners with a friend because they were so fussy, spit up a lot, etc. (severe reflux and milk-soy intolerance). We did, however, have family or friends who would come to our house and keep the kids for an hour or two for us to go out or to a friends house, and that REALLY helped. In fact, I think that was more helpful than if we had taken the babies with us since we got to relax and have adult time and we didn't have to rush home for bedtime.

6. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. My DH thinks our babies are bored being in the house all day and doing the same things and playing with the same toys. I'm not sure. We are visiting with the grandparents so they see a lot of people in the house, we read books and have free play, blanket play, song time and activity mat play as well as stroller rides, car rides and bath time peppered about.

Oh well, we will venture to our friends house during an afternoon wake period and see how they do!

7. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Going to a friends is a great way to start! You have to get there but then there will be an extra set of hands to help.

I remember the first time i took the kids out by myself. I was so nervous.. all the what if's playing in my head... What if, what i have been doing at home is just a fluke and i really can't handle two kids at once? What if we get there and they both start crying? where will i put them? How will I console two babies? and with everyone looking at us!

It was a lot of work, buckling, unbuckling, juggling babies and shopping car, but it went far better than i imagined and i was so proud of myself for doing it! Every time it got easier... You will figure out ways to make it smoother and what is do-able in the time frame you have. My DS does not do well with any disruption to his naps so i always (and still do) time outings between sleeps. As you do it you will figure out how much you can 'play around' with the time.

I always left just after they woke, (after feeding and changing, of course). Like pp said, get everything in the car while they sleep so that once they are up you only have to worry about getting them ready and in the car. Once they were on three naps the best time for us was after the first nap.

Oh and, forget what people think! Most likely they are thinking 'wow, she must be super mom! two babies at once!' But honestly, it doesn't matter what they think. Sometimes your kids will be so perfect you will be a.mazed and other times you will think, 'wow, that was a mess'... lol. Either way, you will make it home and have lots of chances to try it again.

You can do it! and you will be glad you did! my kids love going new places (any place) and yours will too!

As far as evenings out.. we still don't go out to dinner except for when my parents visit. Then DH and I will go out while they stay home with the kids.
    DH works late and the kids eat dinner at 4:30 (6:00 bed time) so going out with them is not logistically possible. For social time we invite our friends here for a late dinner. (after kids are in bed). sometimes i cook, but often we pick up from a restaurant that we all like. It is not the same 'dining experience' but it is social.
    Pre-kids, we had a group of friends who use to meet regularly for dinner. Now we do a group lunch. The kids really like that. AND when they were little there was always an extra set of hands to hold a kid who might be fussing, so i got to enjoy my meal also!
    Meeting a 'baby friendly' friend for lunch is a good outing (not relaxing, but gets you out of the house ;) ).

As the saying goes.. practice makes perfect. Well, actually that doesn't really fit :p How about, practice makes it easier. :D
    GL

8. dab_20

dab_20 Member

I started taking my girls out when I felt better after my csection- about 3 weeks old. We go somewhere nearly everyday and I'm almost always taking them out on my own. I've just never been the type to stay cooped up at home, and having twins hasn't changed that. I usually try to prep the diaper bag and the car, then feed and change and go. I avoid being out for too long by myself so I don't have to feed them on my own out and about. Right now they are about 9 weeks old and I just go when I need to. If it's nap time they just nap in their car seats. If it's awake time they are pretty content just watching the world go by in their seats/stroller. They are really very good as long as they're fed and changed.
    It takes time but my best advice is to just go out. The more you do it, the easier it gets for both you and your twins!

9. Daddy Daycare

Daddy Daycare Member

I have been going for walks daily but these last few days it's been a scorcher. Yesterday, it felt like a 100 degrees so I had to cut my walk short. Today feels like that again. Just wondering if it's safe for my twins to be out in this heat (it's actually 27 degrees now but feels like 37 according to Weather Network) just sitting in a stroller?
    Don't want to cause them any health problems by being out in the heat.

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We lived in Florida when my two were tiny and I would take them outside at least once every day. During the stupid hot months (100+ F, 90% humidity) we would walk closer to breakfast and after dinner. How old are your babies? A good sunshade on the stroller, a water mister if you have to be outside for a really long time, and chilled bottles, not warm.

Also, I grew up in Florida in a house without A/C, and I survived. :D

11. daisies

last year i went out nearly everyday. I did try to go earlier on the hottest days. One the days it was 90+ we wouldn't go far.
    The stroller has a good shade and I rigged a portable battery operated fan for them. Getting outside is good for everyone.

12. Daddy Daycare

Daddy Daycare Member

My kids are almost 8 months old. I did go out but one of my daughters started turning red on her face half way on my walk. Felt she was getting too warm so decided to cut short my stroll.
    Think I'll try and get that battery powered fan daisies mentioned. I'm sure it was still a little warm for them with no air circulation in that canopy.

13. daisies

At 8 months you can also carry ice water for them (sippy cups or in a sports cup for yourself and share). If they dribble a little down their front all the better.

14. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

My ODD's first summer I would sprinkle chilled water on the top of her head when it was hot out, basically the water mister concept without having to lug or set up anything extra.