taking the twins out

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by newtothis, May 12, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

how soon after the twins are brought home can you go outside. i dont mean to stores, etc. i mean in the backyard or out for strolls.

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Assuming they are not born premature or have any issues at birth (and the weather is comfortable) I think you can take them out as soon as you'd like, if it's in the backyard or for a stroll. :good: I took mine out when they were about a week old. It was in the shade, of course, and it was a very nice day, weatherwise. I think they enjoyed the fresh air, but it was more for me. :blush:

3. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

We took our boys on a walk the day after we brought them home, which means they were technically not even 36 weeks yet. The pedi said it was fine. It was a cool day but we dressed them warm and they liked it.

4. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TandC @ May 12 2009, 03:45 PM) [snapback]1310633[/snapback]
    We took our boys on a walk the day after we brought them home, which means they were technically not even 36 weeks yet. The pedi said it was fine. It was a cool day but we dressed them warm and they liked it.

what if i deliver beginning of june or end of may?
    how hot is too hot in the shade?

5. TwinLove

QUOTE(newtothis @ May 12 2009, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1310637[/snapback]
    what if i deliver beginning of june or end of may?
    how hot is too hot in the shade?

I always went by how I felt. If I was hot, they were hot. :good: Plus you can tell if they are hot. They will most likely let you know they are hot by crying.

6. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

It's not the twins that you should be worried about...it's you...if you have surgery or even vaginal you'll be open and air or anything can get in and cause infection...

7. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ May 12 2009, 03:51 PM) [snapback]1310644[/snapback]
    I always went by how I felt. If I was hot, they were hot. :good: Plus you can tell if they are hot. They will most likely let you know they are hot by crying.

That's what I was going to say. If you wouldn't want to walk in that weather than neither would they :D

8. TwinLove

QUOTE(oh-baby-baby @ May 12 2009, 03:53 PM) [snapback]1310649[/snapback]
    It's not the twins that you should be worried about...it's you...if you have surgery or even vaginal you'll be open and air or anything can get in and cause infection...

How are you open? I know I had the stitches and my doctor never said anything about going outside. There is just as many germs inside the house as out, I think. Unless your doctor recommends otherwise, I don't think walking or sitting outside should be an issue. In fact, my doctor recommended I walk when possible to speed up recovery.

9. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I went for a walk 3 days after we brought them home, it was just down the street & back & I think it did wonders for the babies and ME! I needed to get out of the house & get some fresh air.

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We took them out in the stroller at 5 weeks. We might have done it earlier, but when they were 2 weeks old we had a cold snap and it was below zero for about two weeks straight. Also, the pregnancy (and modified bedrest and c/s) really put my body through the wringer -- for the first couple of weeks, I could barely walk to the end of the block and back myself.

11. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(TwinLove @ May 12 2009, 03:51 PM) [snapback]1310644[/snapback]

I agree.

You can certainly go for a walk or be in your backyard with them as long as teh weather is appropriate.

12. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I agree that as long as the babies' condition is not at all fragile, it's great for everyone. A little sunlight works wonders for minor cases of jaundice. Fresh air is good for everyone, esp. for those of us that have been cooped up in closed houses all winter. And sunlight is FABULOUS for keeping those depression chemicals away, too...so is whatever physical activity (walking, etc.) you can handle.

As for being "open" (literally) to outdoor bacteria, I think unless you plan on rolling around naked in the mud, it's not an issue (although I'd give my right arm for the ability to roll around ANYWHERE again at this point :blush: )

Eve

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(newpairofschus @ May 12 2009, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1310873[/snapback]
    I agree that as long as the babies' condition is not at all fragile, it's great for everyone. A little sunlight works wonders for minor cases of jaundice. Fresh air is good for everyone, esp. for those of us that have been cooped up in closed houses all winter. And sunlight is FABULOUS for keeping those depression chemicals away, too...so is whatever physical activity (walking, etc.) you can handle.

I just wanted to add, Royce was yellow and his bilirubin levels always came back at the high end of normal, but 10 minutes in the sun at 5 days old absolutely cured his jaundice.

14. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

The day after I came home. But they were full term (and I had a vaginal delivery), I just walked to Starbucks on the corner, it was quite cold though. I took them shopping within a week too.

15. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I am currently scheduled to give birth on June 1st and my daughter graduates from pre-school on the 5th and I'm planning on being there with the boys. With my first, I stayed in for a few weeks, but I was out with my second within a week or two and now that I have two older kids with activities, I expect that these guys will be on the go from birth.

16. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on what your pedi says and how far along you are when you deliver and all that.