"taking it easy"...how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by lromansky, Feb 26, 2009.

1. lromansky

lromansky Well-Known Member

My doctor and Mothers of Multiples Group that I joined all said that now is the time to start "taking it easy" with my pregnancy, since I'll be in my 3rd trimester next week. I'm not sure what that means! Especially since I'm a very active person normally.

I do know this... I'm not excercising at all (with the exception of walking my little dog - slowly - around the block). I work from home most days, if I don't have a sales appointment.

But on the weekends, I am all about getting stuff done... For instance, this weekend I need to find a shower outfit which consists of going to a maternity store on Saturday and trying a ton of stuff on. That will be hard. Then my husband & I were going to go look for a floor lamp for the nursery (go to 1-2 stores tops) and buy a new TV (1 additional store). I know that doesn't sound like a whole lot of stuff, but it ends up being sort of hard on my body, yet - I don't want to not do these things b/c they are important and more than anything I HATE SITTING AROUND! I work from home as it is most days and on the weekends I like to get out.

Then Sunday, if I don't find my shower outfit Saturday, I plan to go to a 2nd maternity store.. and then maybe a movie with my husband. An easier day than Saturday but still, i'm not sitting home all day long. I hate sitting home and I know once the babies are born we won't be getting out as much, so I'd like to get out as much as possible now while i still can.

Is that too much stuff? I'm so paranoid about going in to preterm labor. Today I went to the grocery store and walked my dog and felt the pressure & pain and that's all I did besides sit at my desk and work all day!

Any thoughts?

2. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

First of all, you sound a lot like me. I too am an active person. I exercised regularly and got stuff done on the weekends. When people would tell me that I needed to take it easy, I would just say I feel good so leave me alone. So, the only thing I would say to you is listen to your body. But here is a short but sweet story of what recently happened to me.

I exercised everyday high intensity, crossfit type. I felt good and scaled back when things 'hurt.' I stopped doing that at 28w.

I worked 12 hours/4 days a week as a Deputy Sheriff in a jail setting. I was on modified duty and had no problem doing my duties until I hit 30w. My swelling was out of control and it hurt to get dressed. I was having a mild headache everyday.

I contacted my Dr. at 30w 6d about the swelling and headache. He told me come in a check my BP. BP was 119/63 and I had a trace of protein in my urine.

I hit 31w and was having contractions 4 mins apart and 1cm dilated. Thankfully, the little voice inside me said go to L&D. I did and I got an injection of terbutaline. We responded and the medication and we were sent home.

They yanked me from work and I am so happy that I am not on bedrest. But I do not leave for more than 2 hours at a time. Then I come home and put my feet up.

Today is the first day that I have been able to see my ankes in 2 weeks.

Please listen to your body, I know it is hard, but you are so close to being done.

Good luck,
    Jenn

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd say your body will let you know what a good amount of activity is for you. I know I start to feel it when I have done too much in a day and then I just rest.. and I don't worry about the things that don't get done.

That being said, I HATE being idle, so the lack of activity kills me sometimes, but I figure it's important to slow down as much as I need to.

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I agree with the PP, and you really need to listen to your body. PTL can come on very suddenly with no warning. Have you talked to your Dr about the amount of physical activity he/she wants you to be doing? I know its hard to have to sit around, but sometimes that's the best thing. All the things you have on your to-do list may seem incredibly important now, but in the whole scheme of things you and your babies are the most important thing right now. You don't want to over do it! Take it easy and relax while you still can. Once these babies come they will keep you plenty busy! Good Luck!!

5. lewis514

lewis514 Well-Known Member

I think you need more information on what "taking it easy" means - everyone is different.
    My doctor said I could fly up until 30 weeks (I work from home and do sales travel too) but my boss and I stopped the flying at 27 weeks. He basically said I can do anything I want as long as I don't get short of breath; if I can carry a conversation, he's okay with it.
    I try to get out on the weekends and do stuff too but I definitely just space out my activities and stop if needed.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

If you are feeling pressure & pain when you're up and around, that means you should be taking it easier. I know it is so frustrating to just sit down all day, but it sounds like you know when something is hard on your body. Don't push it.

For me, at 29 weeks I could not handle a trip to the grocery store. I went to the twins club sale when I was 29 weeks, and walking around there for half an hour was more walking than I had done in a few weeks -- and I wound up in the hospital that night with contractions. I don't know for sure that was the reason, but it was a pretty big coincidence.

Keep in mind that sitting in a chair at work all day is hard on your body too. Even though you're sitting down, if you're sitting upright you're putting pressure on your cervix, and your back is getting strained trying to hold you upright. That's why I started working part-time at 26 weeks -- I was leaving early (my job is very flexible) practically every day because I just felt so exhausted by about 3:00, and finally I decided to just make it official and go part-time. If you are working from home, you can lie down for 10 minutes out of every hour (or whatever works for you) -- that should help.

7. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

I had to come to a compromise.. I can't sit at home on my tushie doing nothing. I CAN go out, but I promised I would use either the wheelchair or scooter available in stores. Both doc and DH felt better about that. So it's into the car, out of the car, onto a scooter, browse to my hearts content, out of the scooter, into the car and into the house -where I am told not to do any housework.. ok, so I do housework but I don't overdo it and I do listen to my body! Trust me, if I don't BH is sure to come...

So be sure to listen to your body!

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Like the others said, listen to your body. :good: :hug:

9. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

You do need to take it easy. I hate it as well but it's what's best for everyone! I started "taking it easy" at 24 weeks and I can't wait to deliver, not only to have 2 healthy babies but also to be able to move like myself again.

10. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

I know that I thought I could not slow down at all, I felt like I could do just anything! WELL, one day my body resisted and so I listened and just simply took it easy! It will slow down even if you feel like you don't need to!