Swollen, bleeding, painful gums

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by smitch, Jul 30, 2008.

1. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar to this...

Since early on in my pregnancy, I've had the swollen, bleeding, painful gums that can sometimes come with pregnancy. But now it's getting a lot worse, where my gums on the bottom front are actually pulling away from my teeth pretty bad. I have a dentist appointment on Saturday morning, so I'm hoping they will be able to do something. It's getting harder and harder to brush my teeth. I'm spitting out lots of blood (sorry, TMI) and it HURTS. Oh, and my bottom front left tooth is getting loose! (Kind of scary.)

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you go to the dentist, and what did your dentist do for it? Anyone have any "home remedies" I could try?

Thanks for any input!

Susanne

2. Dominique

Dominique Well-Known Member

QUOTE(smitch @ Jul 30 2008, 01:15 PM) [snapback]904588[/snapback]
    Since early on in my pregnancy, I've had the swollen, bleeding, painful gums that can sometimes come with pregnancy. But now it's getting a lot worse, where my gums on the bottom front are actually pulling away from my teeth pretty bad.

I had this happen with my last singleton pregnancy as well as this one (thankfully, not as bad this time!). When I saw the dentist for it last time, one of the things he did for me was put me on a bakng soda-paste pack.... Take the baking soda, make it into a paste, and apply it to your gums (I suggest while laying down near a bucket!) for a minute or so after brushing and flossing. Kind of rub it around a little with your finger. Then spit it out. Supposedly the bubbles and stuff really help (it tasted horrid but felt better and slowed the bleeding!).

The other big thing is the importance of brushing a LOT. Since you have to eat so much more often with twins and drink more often, you really need to brush more often too for good oral hygene. And flossing (even though I HATE it) isn't optional. They also make neat little sticks that you can use to massage the gums that seemed to help. I've been doing the extra brushing and flossing and haven't had nearly the problems I had last time.

Good luck, dear. It sucks to have the bloody gums to go with ANY other pregnancy symptoms.

Dominique
    -15 weeks pregnant with TWINS!-
    -Mother of Claire for 17 days, as she was born December 29th, 2007 at 28 weeks gestation with IUGR.-

3. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

Dominique, thank you for sharing that. I'll definitely try the baking soda. My biggest worry is the gums on the bottom front pulling away from my two front bottom teeth. Is there anything they can do about that?

QUOTE(Dominique @ Jul 30 2008, 12:31 PM) [snapback]904622[/snapback]
    I had this happen with my last singleton pregnancy as well as this one (thankfully, not as bad this time!). When I saw the dentist for it last time, one of the things he did for me was put me on a bakng soda-paste pack.... Take the baking soda, make it into a paste, and apply it to your gums (I suggest while laying down near a bucket!) for a minute or so after brushing and flossing. Kind of rub it around a little with your finger. Then spit it out. Supposedly the bubbles and stuff really help (it tasted horrid but felt better and slowed the bleeding!).

The other big thing is the importance of brushing a LOT. Since you have to eat so much more often with twins and drink more often, you really need to brush more often too for good oral hygene. And flossing (even though I HATE it) isn't optional. They also make neat little sticks that you can use to massage the gums that seemed to help. I've been doing the extra brushing and flossing and haven't had nearly the problems I had last time.

Good luck, dear. It sucks to have the bloody gums to go with ANY other pregnancy symptoms.

Dominique
    -15 weeks pregnant with TWINS!-
    -Mother of Claire for 17 days, as she was born December 29th, 2007 at 28 weeks gestation with IUGR.-

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Susanne, :hug99: I had this too. My gums were swollen and they hurt. The bleeding got so bad that I lied to the nurse at the hospital {telling her I'd already brushed my teeth :blush:} because I didn't want her to see all that blood. About a week after I had the babies, everything went back to normal. :good: I never did go to the dentist about it, but my gums were also not pulling away from my teeth. :hug99: I hope you get some answers on Saturday and some relief from the pain. :(

5. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Jul 30 2008, 02:14 PM) [snapback]904880[/snapback]
    Susanne, :hug99: I had this too. My gums were swollen and they hurt. The bleeding got so bad that I lied to the nurse at the hospital {telling her I'd already brushed my teeth :blush:} because I didn't want her to see all that blood. About a week after I had the babies, everything went back to normal. :good: I never did go to the dentist about it, but my gums were also not pulling away from my teeth. :hug99: I hope you get some answers on Saturday and some relief from the pain. :(

Thank you, Liz!

6. melissa1

melissa1 Well-Known Member

Mine are not really painful, but since like week 9 they bleed with the slightest touch it sucks..