Switching to 8 oz 4x, rather than 6oz 5x

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by eliseypoo7147, Oct 18, 2009.

1. eliseypoo7147

eliseypoo7147 Well-Known Member

When did you start giving your babies 8oz 4 times a day instead of 6oz 5times? My girls cry after they are done eating for about 5 minutes, and then they are fine for 2 1/2- 3 hours. I'm just worried that if I switch to 8oz they will still want to eat every 3 hours. Did you wait until they started solid food?? TIA! :)

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If they are fussing then I would try upping their bottles to 7 oz and see if they finish that. If they still finish it, try 8 oz bottles.

All my kids took 8 oz 5 times a day before they dropped to 4 times. And they didn't drop to 4 times a day until we were taking 1 full solids meal a day.

They took 8 oz at 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, and 10pm. When they started not wanting their 1pm bottle (only taking 2-3 oz at a time), I dropped that feeding and switched it to solids.

Now their schedule looks like this:
    10am 8 oz bottle
    1:30-2pm solids
    3pm 8oz bottle
    6pm 8oz bottle
    8:30-9 solids
    10pm 8oz bottle

Figuring out feeding is a pain! :)

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Danielle, if they are fussing I would just try adding an extra ounce of formula & see how it goes. If they take it & are happy, then go with it. If they don't finish it, maybe they aren't ready for more yet.

4. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

I moved to 4 bottles a day just a few weeks ago, my guys are 7.5 months. I tried adding a few oz to each of the 5 bottles a day and they just puked up the extra (esp Ryan who has reflux). Now that they're on 2 solid meals a day, I've actually dropped down to 6-7oz for the two daytime bottles, but kept the breakfast and bedtime bottles 8oz.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We didnt get to 4 bottles a day until they were closer to the end of their first year.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

I would add an oz if they are fussing after finishing. We were not on 8oz bottles until at least 9 months, but my twins were small eaters with reflux.

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I could never get my girls to take more than 6 ounces at a time. To this day they still won't! So I was never able to do it that way. If they are getting the same amount of milk and are willing to take 8 ounces 4X a day then I say go for it! I'd at least run it by the nurse at your pedi's office though, to make sure that at 5 months old they don't need to eat more frequently.

8. tbeards

tbeards Well-Known Member

My girls rarely eat more than 6 ounces at a time. They eat at 6:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m., nap until 11:30 or so, eat solids at 11:30 w/ a bottle but only drink about 5 oz with solid meals, bottle again at about 2:00, dinner at 5:00 so solids and another 3-4 oz bottle at dinner and then they finish the rest of the bottle at about 6:30 or 7:00 when they go to bed.