swings

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twingrandma, Apr 20, 2010.

1. twingrandma

twingrandma Well-Known Member

When did you stop using the swings altogether? We have been using them for naps but the boys are more interested in sitting straight up in themm now instead of sleeping. Just wondered at what age you decide to stop using them. Or what was your deciding factor?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I honestly can not remember. I think once they started getting too big for them. I want to say it was around 6 or 7 months, but I really can't remember!

3. ptyflack1

ptyflack1 Well-Known Member

7-8 months...it became clear that they were gonna find a way out of the swings.

I was sad, the swings were my life savers for many months.

4. betha

betha Well-Known Member

I think we kept the swing until about a year. We could still use it, but had to supervise them closely. When they decided they wanted out, it could be a problem because they were much more mobile. We finally gave it to a friend when they started using it as a gymnastic equipment. They would crawl in and swing themselves by standing up (we had a portable one that was close to the floor). They thought it was hilarious. Obviously not meant for that!

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Pretty much by six months. They slept in them for naptime everyday up until that point. They might have used them here or there sporadically after, but not long after.

6. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

I started to wean them off at 4 months (a little bit every day) and by now they don't sleep in the swings at all. I still keep them for short entertainment, but the boys are getting too big.

7. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Same here!

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

About 8 months. They got too heavy to move them and they were just trying to sit up in them all the time.

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

After we did sleep training for naps and bed- starting at 4 months, they were for entertainment purposes only. At around 5.5 months, they weren't really interested in it anymore. We got rid of it about 3 weeks ago. It is hard to part with stuff that was SO NEEDED in the beginning, though. :hug:

10. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

Still using them for naps but will probably be transitioning them to napping in their cribs in the next 3-4 weeks.

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We got rid of our swing when they were big enough for an exersaucer and jumper. At that point they needed more and more stimulation, and we didn't have enough room for everything, so we opted to get rid of the swings in exchange for those things. Probably around 6 months or so.

12. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

yup us too

13. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

We have around 6 month mark, we used them for their naps. Matthew started getting too big for it. We did it cold turkey, we had rough couple of days but after that it was not a problem at all. Good Luck.