Swimming and the newly potty trained

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Oneplus2more, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

H & N have been in panties for almost a month and no accidents for weeks...when do you stop the swim diapers? If we were going to a pool I would still put them in one for sure but we are going to a local "beach". Here is Ohio that means a man-made lake with trucked in sand[​IMG] ...I'm sure they will spend most of their time in the sand or on the playground right next to it, thye ususally only get in the water up to their knees. When I was pottytraining DD1 - and in a near-panic as it was almost time for preschool to start - the director told me to leave her in panties ALL THE TIME because putting her in a pull-up, say if we were going out - sends her a message that I don't trust her. I do't want this to cause an regressiona and I think they won't want to put the swim diapers on. So WWYD? TIA!!!

2. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Are you worried about poop or pee? For poop, yes swim diapers might still help. But, I'd look at the fabric kind so they seem like underwear. I know Target sells some. If your worry is pee...well, I hate to tell you but the swim diapers were never helping out in the first place. :pardon: Swim diapers don't absorb (that's why they don't blow up like regular diapers in the water), so they never kept pee in at all. They only contain poop. Most people never realize that. But, there is no way for a diaper to know to absorb pee, but not pool water. So, swim diapers absorb neither.

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I would give her a chance!!! Just go for it!

4. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

We didn't use a swim diaper once they were PTed. They will tell us while in the pool that they have to go potty, so it has worked out great! I say go sans swim diaper and see what happens.

5. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last summer when Sydney was newly potty trained, I used swim diapers for her. She thought of it as part of the bathing suit, never made the connection with a pull up or why her sister (who had been potty trained for 6 months) did not have one.
    In fact this summer after being trained for a year, she asked where is the swimmie the first time she was in a bathsuit. lol

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

My girls have been pt'ed for over 2 months now and we haven't used a swim diaper all summer. But, they also tell me when they ned to poop, so I felt confident going without them. If they are pee trained and not poop trained, you might still want to use them.

7. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

With all of them, I only used a swim diaper after they were wearing underwear at home but not consistent with pooping. I also agree that they never considered them pullups, just thought they went with the bathing suit.

8. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I'd say go for it, but I highly recommend bikinis. When faces with a mom, I have to go, now! you don't want to be struggling with a wet tank suit.

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I have never worried that much about regression -- they seem to be able to handle using pull-ups for specific situations (on airplanes, at naps, etc.) without regressing overall.

But I quit using swim diapers when my kids were PT'd. If I thought there was any chance they'd go poop in the water, I would still use them, but neither of my kids have ever had a poop accident (thank goodness). And they never pooped in a swim diaper even before they were PT'd.

10. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

If they aren't consistent with poop yet, then I would do the swim diaper. If not, then go without. I also recommend two-piece suits. So much easier!

11. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input! These things really have a way of working themselves out. Apparently I told them the last time we had went swimming (only in panties for a few days) that kids had to wear swim diapers until they were 3. So it didn't phase them at all and hasn't caused any issues. I didn't remember saying that ... good reminder to always be careful what we say, because they never forget[​IMG]