Suspect one breast makes less than other

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

I am starting to suspect that my right breast makes less milk than the other. This is the breast I had mastitis in at the end of November. I don't pump so I don't know if it does make less. I switch every day which breast my almost 9 mo old twins eat from - so left one day, right next, etc for one twin. DS is very high energy and we've had issues with random night wakings crying over the past month from him much earlier than his normal night feeding time around 3 am. Sometimes as early as 1230, and he hasn't eaten than early at night since maybe 3 or 4 mos old. I keep logs of my kids sleep and notice that we have these early wakings almost every time when he fed on my right breast during that day. Perhaps he gets just enough milk in the day to stay satisfied but can't go the long stretch at night like he could if he were getting more milk. Oddly though DD sleeps good at night and wakes only once around 3 AM ish to feed to matter what breast she was on that day.

Does anyones breast make different amounts? If so how do you feed your twins, do you switch breasts at every feeding? I am thinking I may have to switch after every feeding instead of once/day. Did anyone every have issues like what my DS is doing. Note - he is not teething, he already has 6 teeth. He has been trying to crawl for weeks but just in the last week started crawling. He is not sick.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My left side made less. My hoover (great nurser) was most often on my right so I would switch him for a period of time so that I would even out. It is normal that one makes less.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, totally normal for one breast to make less. I suspect the night wakings are more related to learning to crawl than anything. That being said, it can't hurt to switch them up every feed if you feel that would help. :good:

4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My left was the slacker. :) Still produced enough though!

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

My right always produced less. I pump at work and when I was making the most milk I could get a full 2 oz more out of my left. With my twins I always switched after every feeding, before I even knew there was a difference. Once we got to a point where I was only nursing 2x a day I then had "assigned" breasts where I never switched. That being said, even my low producer produced enough, and I never had problems with night wakings. If you are worried that DS isn't getting enough, you could always put him onto the higher producing breast at bedtime once DD is done to see if he wants more. That being said, my high energy DS has always been more of a night waker, even after weaning, so it may just be coincidence.

6. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

When I pump once a day, my left breast always produces half as much as my right. We call 'ole leftie the milk dud...

When I pump once a day, my left breast always produces half as much as my right. We call 'ole leftie the milk dud...