"surprise" bag for airplane travel

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by baby2hughes, Sep 6, 2010.

1. baby2hughes

baby2hughes Well-Known Member

Looking for less expensive ideas for a surprise bag to use on our first airplane trip over the Holidays. Thanks.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have found that it doesn't matter so much what it is, as long as they haven't seen it before it is good for a little while. Maybe some coloring books & crayons or a sticker book. Are they old enough for lollipops yet? Because those are always a hit with my kids. Definitely snacks of some kind. Any cheap little toy from the dollar store can be good for short term distraction.

3. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

And, wrap them up too - that takes a few minutes for them to open them and is quite exciting to get a "present" every 30minute or so. We did a recent trip where we did 2 airplane rides - a 14hr one and a 4hr one. I bought enough cheap toys etc to give them one every 20-30minutes. I visited the dollar store and bought quite a bit there. I also did "regular everyday" things that my kids hadn't seen - like decks of cards, calculators, clothespins or bag clips, flashlights, stickers, bandaids, pipecleaners and cheerios to thread onto them, just walk around a walmart and look for everyday things that your kids might find interesting. And, tons of their favorite snacks. It went really well for us, and I think a lot had to do with the fact that I had tons of things to keep them busy - anytime they got a little fussy I would ask if they wanted a present or snack and that always brought them back to a happy mood.

Good luck!

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Target dollar ailse: they usually have little notebooks, snacks, stickers, and all sorts of other things. Yesterday I bought 15 glowsticks for a $1.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Totally!!! I always hit this aisle before a trip and got lots on neat stuff. Stickers/notebooks/stampers/books/coloring books/etc. For last year's trip across country, I got a bunch of those little notepads (like 2" x 4"), and some hello kitty stampers and stickers. They loved filling the books up and then tearing pages out to make cards for each other and DH and I.

6. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the 1$ Target aisle!!! Mine love those little spiral notebooks and a pen/pencil. Also the little magnadoodles are huge hits here. I agree that anything they haven't seen before is going to be new and fun for them. Depending on how long the trip is, I would go for a couple bags each and only 2-3 things per bag. Good luck!