Suprise Hidden Twin?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by twinmom2dana, Mar 8, 2013.

1. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

So here we are expecting surprise baby #6. Had early ultrasound at 6wks 4days and saw what looks like one baby, one sac. I was instantly relieved because with this being a surprise, I was already in shock so the idea of another twin pregnancy was/is SCARY. For those who don't know my twin history, we have 5 year old frats, lost a set, and have one surviving 2 year old from a 3rd set. So the idea of a 4th set... Anyway, felt relief when I saw that one bean. It's a week or so later and I am starting to feel a little fear. I feel like I did with the other sets. The morning (all day) sickness is crazy, the fatigue is awful but mainly the hunger is SO bad that I have to get up and eat in the middle of the night. I have been so hungry, starving to the point that finally finding and eating what I want has brought literal tears to my eyes. This was my most obvious symptom with my twin pregnancies, especially with the boys. I go back for my first official appt next Wednesday and they will do another transvaginal ultrasound to check everything since I'm considered "high risk" (I'm old) Anybody see one baby at first and then discover another later?

2. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know with all of my pg's that were with multiples (I have had 3). The first was with my oldest son, we were told triplets at the first u/s (6 wks) and at the second (7 wks) they found another sac (3 were blighted ovums and 1 was healthy baby),next at first u/s (8 weeks) we saw all three empty sacs. Then my fourth multiples pg they saw all four at first u/s...never found any others. Mine were so clearly obvious I couldn't imagine them missing one but you do hear about it a lot. My neighbor had first u/s at 6 weeks then at 9 weeks they found another, they were di/di identicals, don't know if that makes it harder to find or not? I know its scary to think about multiples again...I hope you have a healthy pg whether its one or 2!

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I can't help with the hunger symptom because that is something I never had during the first trimester. But I can say that there was little difference between my all day morning sickness with the twins and my all day morning sickness with my singleton. It pretty much sucked both times. And I was more fatigued with my singleton at first.

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Yeah - I didn't have a hidden twin either, but what you are describing sounds just like my last pregnancy... a single GIRL. Though I never felt the urge to eat in the middle of the night with my twins, just her. I wasn't convinced it was only one until my 20 week ultrasound (had first at 9 weeks). But based on your history, it IS entirely possible that another little baby is hiding in there!

5. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I felt horribly sick with my daughter and it was a singleton PG. But then getting PG with twins, I took sick to a whole new level and it was one reason we weren't incredibly surprised to see twins. I hope whoever is inside you now keeps growing healthy, whether it's one or two.

6. twinmom2dana

I like the single girl theory. Let's go with that :rolleyes:

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

A very close friend of mine did not know she was having twins until they went in for gender check at 20 weeks. However, she had a feeling something was up.

8. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

When I had my first u/s with my girls, I was 6 wks. We saw one heartbeat and sac. My Dr. told me to come back in 2 wks (I'll always wonder if he thought something looked a little funny) and at 8 wks we clearly saw 2 heartbeats in one sac. (Later found the membrane between them)
    When I was newly pregnant with my son, I was worried up until my big 20wk u/s thinking maybe the one heartbeat we had seen was not the only one. But it was this time! :)

9. dab_20

dab_20 Member

I had an ultrasound at 10 weeks, showed one healthy baby. I had some morning sickness, never vomited. I did show kinda early around 15 weeks and everyone commented how big I was. At 18 weeks I went in for a paid scan to find out the gender (not my dr office) to found out I had two baby girls in there! Never in a million years did I wonder whether I had twins. It was a shock to say the least, considering it was an unplanned pregnancy and I am 20 years old. Took some time to get used to but now I feel very blessed and can't wait to meet my girls in a couple weeks!
    I truly wish you luck on your pregnancy, I think missing a twin isn't all that common, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

10. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I had two transvaginal ultrasounds in my first trimester. The doctor missed the second baby both times. Imagine our shock when we had another one during the second trimester that clearly showed two babies!

11. twinmom2dana

I went in today and they had decided to just do a regular exam, no ultrasound til April 10th now. I was trying to keep cool, but I REALLY wanted to see today! I just know this hunger thing is not abating, although the morning sickness is getting better. I am still STARVING! When my midwife came in she said "well we think it's one, at this point..." They know my twinning history, lol! I'm willing to wait, for now, despite the fact that my pants won't zip.

12. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I found out at 22 weeks. I had an ultrasound at around 15 weeks (can't really remember now) that showed only one baby...but that was only because the doctor was incompetent (I was in Eastern Europe at the time). I didn't measure large and had no morning sickness, but there were other things that in hindsight should have tipped everyone off. Both my British midwife in Europe and the midwife in the US missed any indication of twins. Only the anatomy scan at 22 weeks showed the surprise wombmate.