Sunscreen

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by carlylafont, Mar 14, 2010.

1. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

My girls are 11 months old and I purchased Aveeno Baby 55spf sunscreen and followed directions. My girls were outside yesterday in partial sun, shade with sun through trees actually for maybe an hour. I think they may be a bit burned. I know I should have had sunscreen on, but I didn't and I am fine (of course I know that doesn't really mean much since I am outside all the time...)

So any suggestions or tips to making the sunscreen work better? or what do you do to protect your babies? (besides hats, they pull those off right when they are on).

Thank you!

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Wow... I have very fair skin and so does my dd and I use the Aveeno for babies (same one) and it works great for us. I actually use it too because it's softer on my skin and doesn't stink like most of the adult ones. Is there a chance that it's expired? If she's burned then I would call Aveeno and let them know. For next time maybe try a different brand, and I would definately keep her covered up. We have the swim sets that are UV protective and love them.
    I'm sorry to hear about her getting burned :hug:

Eta I use it on all my kids but my boys don't get burned, they tan :)

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Brigette, I would call Aveeno. I am sorry the girls got burned :hug:
    I would also try out some different brands. I found that Neutrogena seemed to work best for my two. Good luck!

4. carlylafont

I will try neutragena brand. I just checked and it is not expired, so I will also call aveeno. I bought it because I usually like their products and they typically don't smell! We were just outside, not actual swim suit weather for them (for me though!), so I haven't bought those kind yet. I plan on it. Their skin is olive-y (technical term:)), so I thought they would be fine on top of the sunscreen...

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

on another note... if they aren't burnt too bad... just pink, then that's how our bodies makes Vitamin D. (I just learned this)... Vitamin D is very important, so hopefully they aren't too burnt and just pink enough to tan. I hope you figure out which sunscreen will work for you though. I need to do the same since summer is coming.

6. carlylafont

They were just pink. So maybe that is what it was? They seemed fine yesterday (their skin anyway, teething is a whole different issue). Of course I had sunscreen on and total shade and long sleeves (for them)!

7. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

I guess I had some thoughts that may or may not help....
    With sunscreen, I think you really have to lather it on thick to get the full protection. I've read somewhere that's the most common problem with people using sunscreen, not using enough.

Possibly allergic reaction to the sunscreen causing them to turn pink?

Finally, is it possible their skin just looked pink from being warm/out in the sun, but it went away quickly after coming inside? Is that actually a sun burn, or just normal response to being outside?

Hope you find something that helps!

I got a chuckle out of the comment about not keeping hats on. We have the same problem!

8. carlylafont

AH! Totally was NOT the Sun (Thank goodness, and oh NO!). Daycare has hand-foot-mouth going around and That is what is caused the girls to be pink! The sun was only coincidence. That would explain the extra fussiness on top of teething.

9. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness!! No wonder!! I'm glad they're not sunburned, but hand-food-mouth is not fun. Hopefully they feel better soon!

10. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Oh no!!! I'm sorry to hear about that, but glad it's not a sunburn :hug: I hope they are feeling better soon!