Sunscreen & bug spray

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sulik110202, May 15, 2008.

1. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

With summer approaching, we will be spending a lot of time (weather permitting) outside (cabin up north, lakes, stuff like that). What do you use for sunscreen and bug spray? DD has pretty sensitive skin and we use the fragrance free/dye free type stuff for baths and didn't know what to use for sunscreen and bug spray. I saw that Aveeno makes a baby sunblock and was wondering if that might work for her. Thank you!

2. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

I have the skin so soft bug spray and it has a SPF of 30( i get mine from avon). We also have water babies suncreen and a coppertone stick we use on the face and lips. ;)

3. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Because of some scary reviews on children's sunscreen/block and since you asked, I use California baby products (I also have one with sensitive skin and eczema). Because I'm not fond of the idea of using deet products on the kids or myself(which I know amounts under 5-7% are deemed "safe"), they use California bug stuff too.

http://www.californiababy.com/everyday-yea...ion-2-9-oz.html

http://www.californiababy.com/citronella-s...ion-6-5-oz.html

I've read that the separate products are better as opposed to the combination sunscreen/bug stuff because you often need to reapply sunscreen more often than you need to reapply the bug repellent.

4. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

We use Coppertone microspray -50 because it is easy to use and Water babies for their faces. I also use Skintastic spray for bug spray made by OFF!

5. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(snoopytwins @ May 15 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]774576[/snapback]
    Because of some scary reviews on children's sunscreen/block

What kind of reviews?

6. ckkillman

ckkillman Well-Known Member

My mom got us some Blue Lizard sunscreen from my dad's dermatologist. The Dr. highly recommended it. For bug spray we use deet free off. It is also not greasy or anything. I can't tell I've even got it on.

7. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

I also use Avon's Skin-so-Soft with sunscreen in it. It's been reformulated in the last couple of years and works AMAZINGLY well on the bugs--and we have quite a few down here ;)

8. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

9. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Avon Skin so soft bug repellant plus sunscreen. It has always worked wonders for us.

10. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

I also use California Baby after seeing the sunscreen review on the cosmetic database website.

11. Username

Username Well-Known Member

QUOTE(snoopytwins @ May 15 2008, 12:30 PM) [snapback]774846[/snapback]
    Don't know if it's a gimmick but it made the news last summer about how some of the sunscreens didn't do all that they appeared to do.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.ph...r=webscore+DESC

It isn't just a matter of how well the sunscreens work but an issue of how toxic they are as well.

I use california baby sunscreen and cotz sunblock. Cotz is titanium and zinc and works as a barrier.

I haven't used any insect repellent on my babes and probably won't this year, but keep them in light long sleeves and pants if we are in a really buggy situation. When camping I keep them in the tent during dusk and dawn to beat the worst time of the day.

12. imlodog

imlodog Well-Known Member

has anyone heard of/used the baby blanket products? i was looking for a scalp sunscreen. curious as to how it is. does california baby carry a scalp sunscreen?