sunscreen and bug spray

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by pigsocks, Jul 13, 2008.

1. pigsocks

pigsocks Well-Known Member

Hi
    My girls are 4.5 months old and I don't use anything on them. I just keep them covered. Yesterday we were at the cottage with my in laws and my MIL gets out a bottle of bug spray to use on my girls. I told her that they couldn't wear it and she goes on this long rant that it is all natural. No offense to anyone that is big into organic, but just because it is organic does not mean that it is safe especially on a small baby. Then she tells me that she brought sunscreen for them as well...err! They are too little for any of that stuff and besides they are our children and we alway put their hats on them and their sunglasses.
    Does anyone else deal with this and what do you do? I know she was offended, but there was no way she was putting that stuff on my girls

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

It sounds like you handled it very well :hug99: . You know what's best for them.

3. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

I do not use the regular bug spray. We went to BRU and bought the no deet bug spray. We have mosquitos VERY bad here. I am glad you told her no. Just b/c it is organic does not mean it is made for a small baby.

4. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Good for you for sticking up for what you thought was the right thing to do. And I agree - just because it's organic, doesn't mean it's always safe.

5. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

You're right. The AAP says not before 6 months old and even now we've only put a tiny bit of CA Baby sunblock on them. It's best to just keep them out of the sun and bugs if you can avoid it.

6. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Glad you stuck up for what you wanted. You are right, your children and you know what is right for them

Dianna

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(pigsocks @ Jul 13 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]874495[/snapback]
    Hi
    My girls are 4.5 months old and I don't use anything on them. I just keep them covered. Yesterday we were at the cottage with my in laws and my MIL gets out a bottle of bug spray to use on my girls. I told her that they couldn't wear it and she goes on this long rant that it is all natural. No offense to anyone that is big into organic, but just because it is organic does not mean that it is safe especially on a small baby. Then she tells me that she brought sunscreen for them as well...err! They are too little for any of that stuff and besides they are our children and we alway put their hats on them and their sunglasses.
    Does anyone else deal with this and what do you do? I know she was offended, but there was no way she was putting that stuff on my girls

I think it sounds like you handled it well. You are their mom, and you get to decide. For what it's worth, I do think the recommendations have been changed recently, and it is okay to use sunscreen on children under 6 months - I know my pedi said it was fine, but I think it's actually a broader "recommendation" change. Also, I've read that it's safe to use DEET based insect repellant on children as young as 2 months - I haven't because I'm a little weirded out by putting something that chemical on my babies and I haven't really needed it. It always drives me nuts when people try to tell me what to do with my babies - I had the "you put them to bed at 6:30?" conversation with my MIL yesterday. Yes, they chose that bedtime and we are all happier because of it! :)