Sudden Separation Anxiety

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ECUBitzy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Alexis is going through a strange phase and I don't understand what prompted it or how to move her through it.

Several weeks ago she started waking at night and coming to our bed. Soon enough I'm going to need to wake myself enough to guide her back to her room, but for now she's an exceptional smuggler so I don't mind.

She also started waking from her nap at school crying around this time. One of her lead teachers went out of maternity leave so they've attributed it to some anxiety about the change and have given her extra attention when she gets up.

Now, in the last two days, she has fallen apart at drop-off, when one of us leaves to run an errand (NY day I stayed behind at a friend's to clean up the dinner she hosted and Paul said she cried the whole way home. Then last night he dropped us off and ran to the store and she cried when he pulled away from the house.). This morning was terrible. Her lead teacher takes her out of my arms and loves on her while I leave (Sam usually is fine) but she just bawled. It broke my heart.

She's fine in the evenings. Talks about school and about Mia (a classmate) not being there. Sings me songs. Is pretty happy overall.

What's going on?? What can I do?

Oh! Last night we went out to eat and she wouldn't sit in her own chair. She sat in my lap the whole meal and acted very shy. That's not typical, either.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do you think she could be getting sick? Or I remember you guys were sick recently, maybe she's still fighting it?

3. ECUBitzy

Blasphemy! NO MORE SICKNESS!!!!

Ugh, I hope not. But it would make sense.

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine go through phases, I think its pretty normal and age appropriate, but never easy. I am sorry!! I'd just keep giving hugs and reassuring her but not giving the behavior a ton of attention. Hang in there!!

5. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Were you off a lot recently? Henry is a mess right now because he was at home for 12 days straight and he is mad that we brought him to preschool. All you can do is reassure her a drop off and when you pick her up, talk to her about the fun things they did and how pleasant her teachers are. Also, you may want to stick her in bed a little earlier because it sounds like she is tired. IF she isn't napping, she may not be making it up at night.

6. ECUBitzy

Yup, I have been off a ton. Christmas break was five days, then New Year's Day (and I look a half day on NYE).

During the week they girls sleep from 7:30 until 6:30 and nap during the day. On weekends it's more like 8:00 to 8:00 or 9:00, but naps are hit or miss. Should I adjust that?

DO NOT SAY DROP NAPS. Everything else, I'm agreeable to trying. ;)

7. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We go through this almost every time we go back to "normal" after a long break. Even at 4.5 when we went back to school after summer, the little guys acted like they hadn't been at the same preschool for 2 years! I attribute it to phases and issues with routines. I feel like crying sometimes too! O I get where thy are coming from. LOL

Hang in there!

8. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I'd try a 7pm bedtime for a little while and see if that helps temperament. 7pm for them, not you :) Or if you like, for you and let Paul put them to bed. It has been a hard transition since going back from break so I sympathize.

9. ECUBitzy

Well, last night and this morning were better. Alexis didn't wake up and was only clingy at drop-off (no tears). Maybe she's getting back into the swing of things?

10. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My son gets very clingy when he feels we aren't spending enough time together. If I spend some time with him individually, he is fine. Maybe since you were off over the holidays, she is just missing Mom and a little extra cuddle time might help. Good luck.