Sudden reflux? Or something else?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Mom2VLS, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I'll try not to make this too long.

A couple nights ago, Sophie woke up for her normal middle of the night snack. She ate pretty normally, maybe a little less than normal. When she woke up again 30-45 minutes later, I went to top her off and she had thrown up in her crib. She had filled her diaper pretty well as well. But no fever and once she wound down from the clean up, she went right to bed and slept until morning. At 10:30 yesterday morning, I called Carl and he said she was doing fine.

At 2 yesterday afternoon, I got a text from the nanny that she had thrown up again and was writhing around and basically not acting like herself. I went home and she settled down after I fed her. She took a brief nap and seemed fine. Evening/bedtime were fairly normal with no other issues (I also gave her some tylenol since she has been hardcore teething). She woke up for her middle of the night snack as usual and started writhing and crying as soon as I ended the session. It turned into a 2 hour fight to get her to sleep. If I laid her down (even just laid her back in my arms), she arched her back and writhed and cried. Eventually, I gave her some tylenol and let her nurse as much as she wanted and she settled down. She seemed fine after drinking her milk this morning.

Nothing major has changed in her diet. She's been eating solids for nearly 6 months now. I haven't introduced anything new in the last couple of weeks. She's never had issues with reflux before. She'll be 10 months old on Monday. ETA: Still no fever and no one else in the family is sick.

I'll take her to the doctor if this continues much longer but I wanted to see if anyone else had a child suddenly develop reflux when they were past 6 months or if there's something else that I'm overlooking.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine did. I think for mine it was a low lactose tolerance as well. (They still drink Lactaid instead of milk).

With your daughter is wait the teething out to see if it was affecting anything first. Mine would drool a ton and sometimes all the extra saliva would cause throwing up.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will try to wait it out. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important.