Sucking on fingers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by silver_stardust, Nov 6, 2010.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Within the last 4-5 days, A has started sucking on all four of his fingers (both hands). He pretty much does this all day. He drools so much from doing that that his sleeve is soaked. I've been ignoring it and am really hoping that he stops soon. I think he may be getting his 2 yr. molars but it's not like he's chewing on his fingers. He just puts them in his mouth and leaves them sit there. He doesn't even really suck on them. Anyone else gone through this and how long did it last? Is ignoring it really the best thing to do??

2. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

Mine aren't 2 yet so I don't know how much I can help but my 15 month olds have the same types of issues. 1 is a thumb sucker and the other sucks on his index and pointer finger. They'll do this all day and even when they sleep. I'm not worried about it yet but I will if it continues.

I was a thumb sucker until, I want to say, 7? My parents always threatened me with putting tabasco sauce on my thumb so I wouldn't suck on it anymore. I wish I remember how/why I stopped but I just did.

Sorry I couldn't help much!

3. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Jordyn has been doing this a lot lately and she is finally getting her bottom canines so I think that is what it's all about. She is also missing her top second year molars so they could also be on their way in.

4. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

My DS did this for a hwile. I always told him to take it out but didn't make a big deal of it. I think he was teething. We talked about how everying gets all wet and germs but didn't push it. Good luck.

5. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

one of my DD's has done this for over a year. She's had all her teeth for 9+ months now so it's not teething. I think she just likes to feel her teeth/gums, and she also does it when she's nervous around new people/situations. I ignore it at home, but when we're out, I have a no fingers in the mouth rule and explain about germs as well. She reponds a little bit to reason but I still catch her doing it. I try to distract her with something and just pray she doesn't get sick :)

GL