Strong/Unusual Urine Smell

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Brownsugar, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Brownsugar

Brownsugar Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,
    I am a bit worried about my DS. Ever since last week myself & the daycare provider noticed that my DS's urine is very strong smelling. I asked the Pediatrician about it last week and all she said was give him more water. My kids do not really care for water, but they do drink at least 6 ounces per day. I asked her if she thinks it's a Urinary Tract Infection and she said no they usually come with a fever.

Should I be worried?

I think I should ask her for a referral to check this out, what do you all think? Please help................

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

If you increased fluids and are still noticing the smell, if it were me, I would call the pedi again.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

6 ounces of water? How much other fluids do they take? During the winter months people tend to be more dehydrated because of the ambient air being dryer, more mouth breathing, etc. I tend to agree with your pediatrician, they need more fluids. Popsicles, water and juice, water water water.

My two drink 12 oz of milk a day plus at least 12 ounces of water.

4. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I definitely think he needs to increase his fluids. My kiddos drink about 24 oz each a day!!

5. Brownsugar

Brownsugar Well-Known Member

Thanks for your responses. They both drink 6 ounces of water, about 12 ounces of milk and 12 ounces of juice daily

6. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Did you change what you are feeding them or giving them to drink. that too can affect the smell.

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Instead of giving them 12 oz of juice, can you make it 6 oz of juice and 6 oz of water? That way you're increasing the water intake.