Stroller/Bike Trailer recommendations

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by annahs, Sep 11, 2011.

1. annahs

annahs Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to get a double stroller/bike trailer combo since we do a lot of walking and cycling. Does any one have a recommendation? Ideally I'd like one that's not too expensive and that stands a chance of fitting in the back of our Toyota Echo hatchback (tough criteria, I know :)).

Thanks!

2. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Have you thought about an xtracycle? That would solve the fitting in the car problem as you could just get a smaller double stroller for stroller use.
    http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/cargo-bike-accessories/family-kit.html

3. annahs

annahs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion! After a bit of research I think we will end up going with separate bike seats and a stroller as you suggest (especially considering the size of our car).

The Xtracycle system looks pretty cool, I really like that it has a two kids on one bike option, but I'm not sure that I want to buy a new bicycle. I think for the near term we'll just have to bike as a family (ie two adults, each with a kid seat on their bike). If I was to bike as my primary mode of transportation with the kids, the Xtracycle would be a neat option, but maybe the two kids one adult bike trips will have to wait until they're old enough to ride on their own.

4. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Did you see that they have a system to adapt a normal bike into a long bike?
    It does however, cost nearly as much as a new bike, depending of course on how expensive your bike is.

5. annahs

annahs Well-Known Member

Ah, I hadn't noticed the first time I looked. It's neat, but it's a bit pricey for us to get the adapter and the kid seats and another stroller as well.