Stretchmarks: Pls help...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by CharlotteKent, Feb 2, 2009.

1. CharlotteKent

CharlotteKent New Member

I am pregnant and want to know if anyone has had any luck with skin care for stopping stretchmarks? I have heard that some are not safe to use and can harm my baby but I am so confused by which ones are ok and actually work to prevent stretchmarks, as I happily grow into my 9 month bump!

2. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I had no luck with any skin care products. I tried the cocoa butter and other lotions but I think a lot of it has to do with your genes. I have inherited my mother's belly- all the stretchmarks and twin skin that for years I watched her tuck into her pants now belong to me... Good luck- I hope you have better genes than me! :)

3. crescendo97

crescendo97 Well-Known Member

I use Dr. Palmer lotion for stretchmarks. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and no stretch marks yet. I have gained 50lbs and I was not overweight to start with so my belly was flat and has now stretch out pretty far.

4. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

I've also tried cocoa butter, and, it's done nothing about the marks. Although, it does help with the itching.

5. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I don't know that there is any "miracle" cream that you can use, and I also agree that stretch marks have a lot to do with genetics. I used Mustela Stretch mark cream and for the very few stretch marks I got, it helped lighten them a lot...now you can't even see them! It is a little on the pricey side, but I got it and BRU. Good Luck!

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It really is genes, if your mom and grandma had stretch marks, you are doomed :) I've gotten new ones with each pregnancy! I use lotion liberally and it does help with the itching but no help for the marks themselves. I consider them 'badges of war" :)

7. lilalyshia

lilalyshia Well-Known Member

With my first pregnancy i used the palmers coco butter, and sore it helped i had a few stretch marks on my sides but that was it. Now with this pregnancy i tryed hte same thing....Didnt help lol. I try and put lotion on ALL the time and i still have them.

8. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

I got terrible stretch marks- lotion only helkpe relieve the iching. I am literally all belly and that is where all the strech marks are - all over the belly, lol. Good luck to you, I was not so lucky.

9. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

I was told that this is fromyou genes and I did have them with first pregnancy ( my stomach was awfull) so I am expecting them now as well and I was told none of the cream woudl help with stretch marks)

10. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

I used an african shea butter with my first pregnancy and not a single stretchmark! The stuff is amazing, although I'm not sure how hard it is to find. I actually buy it from a lady in my neighborhood...it's in the purest form, straight from the african nut.

I'm not sure if it will help with twins, but I just got off the phone with her and placed an order for 4 "tubs". I'm hoping it will help this time around as well. It's really greasy so I just put it on at night and use a regular lotion during the day.

If interested, you might want to look on ebay and see if you can find it there. It actually comes in a solid form (not a lotion), you break a piece off and as you work it through your hands it will become more lotion like.

Good luck!!

11. Alysas

Alysas New Member

QUOTE(CharlotteKent @ Feb 2 2009, 06:49 AM) [snapback]1172399[/snapback]
    I am pregnant and want to know if anyone has had any luck with skin care for stopping stretchmarks? I have heard that some are not safe to use and can harm my baby but I am so confused by which ones are ok and actually work to prevent stretchmarks, as I happily grow into my 9 month bump!

Hey! Congrats on your pregnancy, I am 3 months pregnant and have had 8 girlfriends all use this product called belli skin care, Elasticity Belly Oil that helps to prevent stretchmarks. Their doctor told them it was the safest to use, then I saw it on a current affair the other night as well. I read up all about in on their website and it talks heaps about what is safe, really interesting. None of my friends got ANY stretchmarks at all and swear by this for stopping stretch marks. I have only just started using it but so far so good! I ordered all of their other skin care for pregnancy as well from www.belliskincare.com.au and LOVING it. Wish you all the best for the months ahead, we are together in the skin stretch  don’t forget to join the VIP thing on their site before you order, you get a discount that way, i forgot myself but definitely worth it you get 15% off. Good luck.

12. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

Like a lot of the pp have said a lot of it is genetics. I used tummy honey in the begining. I used it with my daughter and loved it. This time around it wasn't working. I would get really itchy during the day. Then I tried coconut oil that didn't work. I use baby oil gel. That seems to work. I use it at night and if I use it in the morning I have a few tanks I have sacrificed to get ruined. So far no new stretch marks and I am 28 weeks.

13. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

The reality is that stretch marks are believed to be genetic as many have said - there is no miracle product...unfortunately! I use olive oil, baby oil, or cocoa butter with vitamin E (whichever I can stand the smell of that day) but I am getting some marks in the same place as my mom had them in these final weeks. The products do help with my extremely dry skin and I guess I am hoping they improve the way my belly shrinks back down to size. Sigh. :)

14. ginagwen

ginagwen Well-Known Member

*Don't hate me!*
    I must agree that it is genetics. I used lotions/creams/ointments like crazy with my 1st preg and got none, and thought "yea me!." Then with my second, I never used a drop of anything (too tired after working full-time and chasing my 1yo), still none. Then I thought well, for sure I'll get a few with a twin preg. and used cocoa butter sometimes, but not often, and still none.

15. lorinboyett

lorinboyett Well-Known Member

A friend of mine that is also pregnant goes to a doctor that specializes in multiples and the nurse told her about this stuff called Mothers Special Blend and said she tells all the moms of twins to get it for stretch marks and every single patient that uses it barely has any stretch marks. She just told me about it this weekend so I'm going to get it this week. She said you can only get it from Whole Foods and places like that. Its like an all natural oil and its like $15 or so.

16. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion for stretch marks...it worked great for me I'm 26 1/2 weeks and have zero stretch marks. I'm still using it and my doctors office actually gave me a sample to use when I asked about lotions that were safe!

17. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

Yes, I've also heard that if you're going to get them, you're going to get them. All you can do is stay lubricated with lots of lotion and drink lots of water and try not to scratch, you can make them bleed! I've seen that and it is not pretty!

18. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

The bad news is...you either get stretch marks or you don't and no amount of lotion can prevent them. If your mother didn't have them, you stand a good chance of avoiding them (except you're having twins so you might get bigger than your mother ever did). I'm sorry to tell you this. I got mine at about 8 months. Yuck!