Stretchmarks Anyone?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Little June Bug, May 14, 2009.

1. Little June Bug

Little June Bug Well-Known Member

So this is my 2nd pregnancy and I'm 34 weeks along with twins.

I have been lucky so far in that I have absolutely no stretch marks.

I keep my fingers crossed that I won't get any (but have almost convinced myself it WILL happen). There's only so far skin can stretch I say...

So last night I'm rubbing on my nightly cream and notice some marks swirling around the lower part of my belly button. OH NO! I was a little sad - stretch marks (I thought).

This morning however, I checked and they look more like veins and not stretch marks. It's kinda hard to tell....

Who here has been able to avoid stretch marks? If you got them, which week were you in? Did anyone get them in the last week or two before delivery? (I have heard stories of some ladies having none but the c-section pulling caused a ton of them to appear the next day). :(

I don't want to be vain but I really really don't want any. :(

Just curious about everyone else.....and how can I feel very okay with it if/when they do appear?

2. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

This is my fourth pregnancy and I will be 31 weeks tomorrow. With each pregnancy the only place I have gotten stretch marks is on my butt and a couple on my "love handles"! LOL So far that is the only place I see them with my twin pregnancy, but I keep preparing myself for them to arrive.

I have started to look at it without so much horror though.....

Hopefully you will be spared the marks, you have made it pretty far with none so I wouldn't worry too much.

3. lisachalf

lisachalf Well-Known Member

This is my fourth pregnancy. I had stretch marks with all of mine. I've read that if your mom had stretch marks you are more likely to have them. I think it all comes down to your genes. If you haven't gotten them by 34 weeks my guess is that you probably won't or will have very few.

4. Little June Bug

QUOTE(*Lisa* @ May 14 2009, 08:22 AM) [snapback]1313177[/snapback]
    This is my fourth pregnancy. I had stretch marks with all of mine. I've read that if your mom had stretch marks you are more likely to have them. I think it all comes down to your genes. If you haven't gotten them by 34 weeks my guess is that you probably won't or will have very few.

yes, i've heard that about the genes too BUT my mom had 4 girls and she has tons of stretch marks and saggy skin (it actually looks like "twin skin"....

my oldest sister has 3 kids and my youngest sister has 2 kids and i have 1 kid (i gained almost 60lbs with him) and so far, not one of us have any stretch marks.

sooo, i wonder if the genes theory is 100 % correct....

5. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Little June Bug @ May 14 2009, 08:52 AM) [snapback]1313110[/snapback]
    So this is my 2nd pregnancy and I'm 34 weeks along with twins.

I have been lucky so far in that I have absolutely no stretch marks.

I keep my fingers crossed that I won't get any (but have almost convinced myself it WILL happen). There's only so far skin can stretch I say...

So last night I'm rubbing on my nightly cream and notice some marks swirling around the lower part of my belly button. OH NO! I was a little sad - stretch marks (I thought).

This morning however, I checked and they look more like veins and not stretch marks. It's kinda hard to tell....

Who here has been able to avoid stretch marks? If you got them, which week were you in? Did anyone get them in the last week or two before delivery? (I have heard stories of some ladies having none but the c-section pulling caused a ton of them to appear the next day). :(

I don't want to be vain but I really really don't want any. :(

Just curious about everyone else.....and how can I feel very okay with it if/when they do appear?

how do c-sections cause pulling, therefore creating stretchmarks?

6. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

I thought I didn't have any until last week (30 weeks) when I realized that a couple have been hiding underneath my belly. I can't see them without using a handheld mirror. They aren't too bad yet; so I remain hopeful I'll escape without too much damage. Re the twinskin - I think it all depends on how elastic your particular skin is. Genes, of course, play a role.

7. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

I think it depends on YOUR body type. My mom has tons of stretch marks, but she is 5'5, and has a really short waste (most of her 5'5 is legs). I am 5'8, and my legs are not as long, my torso is longer. I didn't get any with my first child. So far, and I am 28.5 weeks, I don't have any other than a few on the hip/love handle spots. BUT they are very small and few. None on my tummy yet. So, we will see!

8. jbritt325

jbritt325 Well-Known Member

Well ladies here's a POV from someone who has them and doesn't mind! ^_^

With DD I was "tiger striped"! I still thought my belly was beautiful. She stuck straight out in front. I looked like I was carrying a base drum! lol This time with my boys I haven't really noticed all that many new ones, but I guess I didn't need new ones since I had enough from before! haha

I look at it this way... I'm a mom now. I'm married. I wasn't going to be getting into a bikini again anyway... as long as my DH loves me who cares? I'm not that hung up on it. Now the "twinskin" thing... that's another story! haha

9. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

my stretch marks showed up at 34 weeks exactly. They aren't that bad really. The ones on my boobs that I got from when my milk came in are much worse!

10. stephi5882

stephi5882 Member

I'm 30.3 weeks and just in the past week have I noticed the "veins" you were talking about. Kind of look like tiny tiny spider veins, but I have only noticed 4 or 5, so far. With my son I got a good amount of stretch marks, but not until week 36 or 37. Just kind of showed up one morning.

My belly is much bigger already than what it was with my son at delivery, and no stretch marks yet (crossing my fingers).

I have also been using a TON of anti-stretch mark lotion on my ENTIRE body this pregnancy, and I didn't hardly use any at all with my son.

So I guess we'll see. I'm kind of expecting to get at least some though.

11. lorinboyett

lorinboyett Well-Known Member

At 29 weeks I noticed one and since then they have spread like wild fire. I probably have 14 or so but only one is dark and the rest you can really only see up close or if you feel my tummy. I have only gained 24 lbs and I'm 32 weeks and pre-pregnancy was pretty fit and am still pretty small. I kind of assumed I would get them though from the beginning because my sister and my mom both got them. When I first got them I CRIED but since then I have decided to look at it differently. They do make cute one pieces these days, they usually fade, one day soon with the advanced technology they will probably have a miracle laser or cream to get rid of them (high hopes), and who cares if you have stretch marks they're from being pregnant which is a beautiful thing. ;)

12. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I thought I was in the clear when I was about 32 weeks or so and still no stretch marks :nea: At around 35 weeks I go them. :eek: I'm okay with the stretch marks... it's the twinskin that's not fun.

I hope you don't get any. :hug: :hug:

13. Little June Bug

QUOTE(newtothis @ May 14 2009, 09:14 AM) [snapback]1313314[/snapback]
    how do c-sections cause pulling, therefore creating stretchmarks?

i dunno cause i've never had a c-section. it's just what i have read somewhere online....

??

14. angieb1979

angieb1979 Well-Known Member

I am just 25 weeks along and at my 23 week a few appeared on my bum and then just last week I had a couple appear on one BB! So far I've avoided any on my belly. I'm sure that is a matter of time. I feel horrible for getting so upset about them. I cried, I'm still depressed. I just keep putting on my creams and praying, LOL. My sister just delivered via C-section and she avoided stretch marks through the entire pregnancy and after the c-section her lower belly is loaded with them. She was crushed. My hubby just says that we'll have 2 beautiful girls to show for it and that's what is keeping me sane!!

15. mkhvjh

mkhvjh Well-Known Member

My whole stomach looks purplish & swirly marks... I thought those were stretch marks.. Maybe they're just veins... I don't know... ??? What do stretch marks look like then? I'm 37 weeks... I just figured OH Well these are my miracle marks since it took us alot to get pregnant and have these 2 blessings!

16. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I had stretch marks from my other two pregnancies so I was really surprised that no new ones appeared this time. Then yesturday I noticed two poping up around my bellybutton. My stomach has been killing me lately from the stretching so I guess it makes sense for them to start appearing now.

17. jvanmourik

jvanmourik Well-Known Member

In the past the only spot i have ever gotten stretch marks are under my boobs. So far none on the belly, but i've got quite a ways to go that i dont doubt i'm not getting away unscathed int he belly this time. I figure they'll be my battle scars from the twins. :p

18. dutree123

dutree123 Well-Known Member

1st pregnancy, stomach looked beautiful w/ no marks until I hit 28 wks. then I started noticing a few appearing on my love handle/hip on the left side, about 2wks. later stomach itched like crazy one night and I've heard the saying to not stratch but put cocoa butter on and rub and I did so but when I went one day to put the butter on that is when I noticed that they had spread like wildfire they are on both sides nowand look like they are working their way up...now I load the butter on hoping to prevent as much as I can...never really got depressed about it because I love the fact that I am carrying my boys and will soon bring them into the world and if this is what it takes so be it...I would do it all over again for this experience is what I say to myself. Although my skin has always been clear..I've always had a little budge and never wore 2 pieces...Gods honest truth...since I've been pregnant I have never been so happy to show off my belly! I wear cute dresses that I've had before but was ashamed of my budge so I did not really wear them when I wasn't pregnant...now I wear those dresses I love the shape of my pregnant belly.And about the genes thing...my mother had 3 kids and no stretch marks and no after belly. So I don't nessasarily agree with the gene thing ( maybe to an extinct) But like a PP said I do however think it would be great if a plastic surgeon would come up with a procedure that can get rid of stretch marks I always held out on having that tummt tuck until after I had kids so now I may look into it since I am 37 and I now have my 2 boys. Good Luck to you cause really no one wants stretch marks-but if one happens to get them it's all in how you look at it.

19. epovah7

epovah7 New Member

I had my twins at 37 weeks and didn't get any stretch marks. I did constantly put on cocoa butter (not sure if that even works) but I was obsessive about it. When my belly started to itch, I just lotioned up :) I have heard that it has a lot to go with genetics. This was my first pregnancy and my twins were 6 lbs 10 oz and 6 lbs 4 oz and I gained 47 lbs, so it is possible! Hang in there!

20. JessieJean

JessieJean Member

I was stretch mark free until I was 33 1/2 weeks. Then I got a small one on my left hip. By 35 weeks, I had a few on my lower belly. And then by the time I delivered at over 37 weeks, they had spread all the way up to my rib cage!! But I don't mind. I fought so hard to carry the girls to a healthy gestational age. If they were preemies, I would have skipped the stretch marks all together...but I will take my healthy babies instead!! :)

21. mes_00

mes_00 Well-Known Member

I am starting to wonder if I'm going to look like a tiger before I'm done! :lol:

This is my first pregnancy but not my first time with stretch marks. Previous miscarriages, medications, etc caused rapid weight gain and I have them already.

My hubby found the marks first! I couldn't see them since they are horizontal along my small of my back and hips. Racing stripes at 16 weeks!

I consider these my trophys and badges. Wouldn't trade them for anything. :)

22. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MommaJ @ May 14 2009, 09:05 AM) [snapback]1313135[/snapback]
    This is my fourth pregnancy and I will be 31 weeks tomorrow. With each pregnancy the only place I have gotten stretch marks is on my butt and a couple on my "love handles"! LOL So far that is the only place I see them with my twin pregnancy, but I keep preparing myself for them to arrive.

I have started to look at it without so much horror though.....

Hopefully you will be spared the marks, you have made it pretty far with none so I wouldn't worry too much.

I just had to open my mouth!!!! LOL I am now the proud owner of my first two strechmarks on my abdomen at 33wks and I am sure that since they have begun they will only continue.

23. Carols3boysplus2

Carols3boysplus2 Well-Known Member

I´ve had 4 pregnacies and delivered my twins at 36 1/2 weeks. I don´t have any stretch marks! I do think it all depends on genetics and probably excessive weight gain. I did lotion up a lot though...My mom also had 4 pregnancies and no stretch marks.
    At 35 weeks I thought I was getting some, but they were just veins!
    Hopefully you won´t get any, hang in there!

24. dutree123

dutree123 Well-Known Member

One day I had the cutest little pregnant belly...Now when I look in the mirror..the sides of my belly look like tiger stripes :blink: So you are doing good and probably will not get any if you made it this far..I started seeing them about a month ago.