stressed and feeling horrible thanks doctor...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jennybean41506, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jennybean41506

jennybean41506 Well-Known Member

I went to the OBGYN with a plan today. Every time i go ask questions and i feel as if i am shrugged off. So today i brought my husband with my for support because now being 33 weeks pregnant i feel as if enough is enough. I gained 10 lbs within 13 days. I have been drinking a ton of water and not really eating a whole lot because there just isn't any room for food with all this baby in me. the nurse practioner kept on complaining about the weight gain as if i sit and eat all day i eat healthy and i have been walking a whole lot more than i was the last few months. obviously there is a reason for the weight gain but no protein in my urine or high BP So my husband sees i am getting upset and he asks why i am not getting the tests done that we have read about why have i only been seen once a month until now why no one tells us anything or measures my tummy when we go. she gave him such an attitude 'WHAT TESTS YOU GO FOR AN ULTRASOUND EVERY 2 WEEKS" with my health insurance the health insurance nurse calls every month to make sure you are getting the care you need and she has asked me about a NST and other things that should be getting done. So the Nurse Practioner looks back at my first ultrasound to find out there was a list of things from the MFM Dr. that was supposed to get done. FROM MAY. i have never been told about this list until WE said something about. I was supposed to be getting seen every 2 weeks from 16 weeks to 28 weeks and from 28 weeks on getting seen EVERY WEEK. I was supposed to go for a biophyical test 4 weeks ago and every week get 2 NST i am supposed to get measured at every appointment and get a internal exam from 28 weeks on every time i go. I also am not supposed to go past 37 weeks pregnant due to the risk it has on the babies but they make my c section date when i am 39 weeks pregnant. I have asked questions before every time i go and i always get a different answer i just can't believe it. WHY DID I HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CARE I AM GETTING FOR YOU TO READ MY FILE? WHY HAVE I BEEN GOING TO GET ULTRASOUNDS IF MY OBGYN OFFICE IS NOT GOING TO READ WHAT THEY SAY? i just have no idea what to do right now and i have called other dr. and no one will take me because of how far i am along. I have tried getting to see the same doctor every time i go i have open availability and yet the weeks i go there is always a different doctor. i just really am upset. I just talked to a friend of mine who is high risk due to 3 miscarriages and she is 28 weeks pregnant and is going through the same thing even though she has one baby. what is wrong with doctors.... i left the office crying and trusting no one to care for me or my babies.... i wish none of you have to go through this. it is horrible.

2. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

HUGS!! I'm so sorry that you're stressed! this should be a time when you just enjoy being pregnant as much as one with 4 legs, arms, hands and feet can enjoy! I hope you're able to get some answers and satisfaction.

Are your babies sharing a placenta? Is that why they do not want you to go past 37wks? I know that my doctors here is very 'intervention free'. We didn't do biophysicals, or NSTs unless the babes showed signs of not doing well via u/s (and I only had 4 my entire pregnancy). I never ended up needing any of them done.

3. jennybean41506

they sharing a placenta but i am overweight and had pre eclampsia the last pregnancy with my son. I have been feeling not so hot and lots of cramping for months now and they don't do anything or one doctor conflicts another doctor in my office. i am just tired and this is the last thing i need. sadly a friend of mine is high risk due to 3 miscarriages and a different office with different doctors and they are slacking too.... it just makes you realize that people stopped caring about what they do.... its just total b.s. that i do not need right now. thanks for the hugs <3

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I can't believe you've only been going once a month. I'm 28 weeks with 1 baby, as low risk as you can get and I'm already going every other week. With twins I was going every week by 28 weeks. (I think, it might have still been every other week but I know by 30 weeks I was going every week.) I am so sorry you are going through this. Is there any way you could change doctors?

5. jennybean41506

i have called every doctor that goes to my hospital ( they have the best nicu located near us) and none of them will take me because of the high risk and how far along i am =[

6. kcur21

kcur21 Member

We too found that our Dr.'s were just willing to do the minimal unless we intervened and asked for something specific or had a complaint about something. At that point they started to care a little more, but it was really frustrating. However, I am currently 38 weeks pregnant and last week and today I have spent 3 hours in the Dr.'s office each visit getting NST's biophysical profiles, and talked to and it is getting old quick! Of course we want the babies to be safe, but I can tell you that they move more than you think they do by watching them on the biophysicial for 30 minutes!! Good luck, not much longer and the time really does go by quickly! P.S. They too schedule my c-section for 39 weeks, and it is looking like I will actually make it to that date...

7. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

Have you called a midwife? I don't know if they could take you either due to how far you are but maybe someone to talk to who can offer some advice. I am sorry you are dealing with this OB. I am almost 26 weeks and have been seen every 2 weeks since 16 weeks and have had cervical ultrasounds to check the length every 2 weeks. I have growth u/s every 2 weeks also and see my OB after each ultrasound. Perhaps it is time to put your foot down (with hubby by your side) and insist on every test you feel you should have had and then I would request a copy immediately of your medical file so that, God Forbid, you have it to show that recommended tests were not done. It is sad to say but document document document... EVERYTHING. I hope that your delivery goes great and your babies are born just perfect!! Best of Luck

8. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

:hug:

You deserve to be listened to Mamma!

Things get out of control fast when people are not communicating. The MFM may be the fastest way to get access to another OB/gyn and I would bet they would completely understand how frustrating this experience is for you.

:hug:

9. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I would contact your MFM's nurse and have them intervene by either getting these docs to do what you need or getting you into someone else. You might even be able to be cared for by the MFM for the rest of your pg.

As for having a different doc each time, that is just the way it is with most OB practices. And that's not a bad thing, since you never know which doc will be working when you go into labor/have your c-section. When they tell you something different though, don't hesitate to say "well, Dr. X said blah blah blah, why is it now yaddi yadda instead?"

10. mommaoffour_ohmy

mommaoffour_ohmy Well-Known Member

Why has it taken you this long to realize whats going on? That the care your getting (or lack there of) isnt ok? If this could have been seen earlier on...the outcome of care may have been able to been changed?

Water under the bridge it sounds like now.,, but I would climb the chain of command in the OB office till everyone knows you by first name... call, call & call again, office manager, insurance personel, doc's supervisor, thier supervisor, nursing staff at the hospital your to deliver at... I wouldnt get off the phone till I got the answers I was looking for and then I would start all over again complaining like a mad woman to ensure someone is talked to or something is done with protocal to ensure this doesnt happen again.

11. betha

betha Well-Known Member

I'm sorry this is so difficult. The last thing you need is stress from your medical care!
    I had a very difficult twin pregnancy. I was seeing my OB and eventually a MFM (my MFM didn't deliver, so I was stuck with my OB). My OB didn't normally work with an MFM and it wasn't a smooth relationship, but I insisted. I told her directly what I wanted done. I think my OB and MFM each had their pros and cons as far as medical care. But my MFM was much more careful about measuring my cervix and doing vaginal ultrasounds, etc. My OB's office did the NST's (which started towards the end of the pregnancy, I can't remember when). My OB rarely checked my cervix, and I had a super short cervix.

Here is my suggestion....can you make an appointment with your OB instead of the Nurse Practitioner? I would do this, and go over every recommendation listed by the MFM. Can you request to go back to your MFM for follow up? I had an HMO, but I insisted on the referral from my OB. She agreed to complete all the paperwork, and I agreed to fight the insurance company if needed (she didn't seem to think the MFM was necessary). I found I had to be my own medical advocate and ask lots of questions (point out the different plans from each MD and ask why), plus insist on things that didn't seem to be their normal routine.

I may have missed some details in your situation, so I'm sorry if my questions and input is off base. It sounds like YOU are doing great so far. Hang in there.

12. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I REALLY like this advice. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! This is for your babies- if you don't make the effort clearly these docs aren't.

I had lacsidasical docs as well. I was supposed to be doing urine tests for protein in my urine... nobody told me what/when to do it for a month. :gah:

13. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:grouphug:
    I am sorry you are having to deal with all this.