story time at the library

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Gimena, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

So today we had our first story time at the library. I finally found one that has a story time
    in the afternoon in a close room for toddlers 12-24...
    Well...the first thing ds grabbed when we walked into the room was the librarian's clicker (remote for the slide show)...
    then he went to her table to see what else she had...The story teller was sick so this was a sub with no experience
    with toddlers. The first thing she said was "we really ecourage one adult per child"...so I said "pretty hard with twins.."
    DD was fine, just sitting and playing with a book, but ds did not want to sit at all, even if I held him so I think
    it wouln't have matter if there was another adult with me (not that is a choice either)
    It just seemed like all the other toddlers (they were younger) were just sitting there where my ds was getting
    into trouble... then got up and walked around and discovered the cabinet... the teacher forgot to close and lock it
    so dd kept doing it for her...
    finally after about 10 min. she did some songs where they walked around the room and they were fine...
    and then then toys came out and it was better...but ds was still more interested in climbing on the table
    and dd was exporing the room going through purses, etc (so I was chacing the all over)

do I just have the worst behaved kids????!!! How do you dicipline? The are fine at home and at the mommy and me class,
    but they have a lot more freedom in both places...

Am I the only one with an active toddler at story time or am I the only one who takes a toddler to stor time...

should I just stop going until they are older?

2. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

I think you should give it another try. With the right person leading it in a closed environment (meaning not a free-for-all-roam-around-the-library) it can be wonderful.

I have been taking my guys to 1/2 hour storytime geared newborn-24 months since they were 15 months & they LOVE it! We have some kids closer to our age who also roam, but once they get acclimated & done exploring it's loads of fun.

I think your leader that one time didn't move from one thing to the next fast enough to keep their attentions for your age kids. Imagine what she would have said if you were a MoM of quads & brought all of them!!!

3. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

That was rude of her to say. Twins deserve to get out too. Some people. Try and again it gets better when they know the routine. Sometimes you get home and just say to yourself "THERE we got out today" and that was the whole goal.

Heather

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

That was very rude of her and I think you should go again! My biggest tip is be consistent, continue to stop him and redirect him. It will get better :hug:

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I don't think you have ill-behaved children! They are toddlers! I just think you're brave for getting out there and trying something new. I've never even made the attempt to take my boys to something like that. :blush:

I agree with PPs; try it again, and even if it doesn't go perfectly, at least you got out there! And it *will* get better as they get older.

Good for you!! :clapping:

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

yes, try it again, that being said I haven't gone to our local storytimes... I need to check into them. we have a great program at our church where they have about a 45 min. children's program and they sit in chairs and watch the teacher and then get up and do things as directed by the teacher... of course I've never attempted that by myself... always have my husband with me... but even that program gets better when we go every week and they learn it. I would definitely give it some more tries. its the only way they will learn... by trying.

7. Melissatwins84

Melissatwins84 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I forgot how much I loved this forum. I've been gone for a while. I just have to remember you all go through what I go through on a daily basis. So I need to keep coming back! Anyways, about story time. You are brave, I always tell myself well we will just have to wait for Monday nights when our local library has a newborn-5 year old story time at 6:30. That way my husband is with me. Let me tell you we gave it a whirl this past Monday, and we were chasing our kids all over the room. I couldn't see how I could do it by myself. I do want to keep going back though, during that time so they can get out and be around other kids some more. We do have gymnastic classes mommy and me, and daddy and me, every Saturday, but it's very fast paced and they are mostly good there.