Story books about differences

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Twin nanny, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I am trying to find some books, to read with Eleanor and Ethan (who are 4.5 & 3.5), about physical differences. Eleanor has some marks across her back that she is beginning to be more aware of and ask questions about. They are purely cosmetic and don't cause her any pain or impair her movement/breathing.
    Of course we have explained them to her as much as we can, along with the 'everyone is different and that's OK' type talks, but her parents would also like to get some books that show characters with something different about them as another way of talking about it. The difference could be the main part/plot of the story or just an aside, it wouldn't matter.
    Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

The first thing that I can think of off the top of my head is the Milly and Molly series, although they are more along the lines of multi culturisim and diversity but they do celebrate differences very well. I had them for my daughter when she was 3 and we had the dolls too (we were living in NZ then where they were created, they are now immensely popular now across the globe...)

Their website (also when I googled some youtube vids came up and I think they did some tv shows too)

If I think of any more, I'll let you know.

2 people like this.
  3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My Travelin' Eye by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw is pretty good. It's about a little girl with a lazy eye and how she turns her disadvantage into an advantage. The physical difference is sort of the main part of the book, but it's also a well written picture book that is fun for anyone. We heard the author speak a few months ago and my kids spent the better part of a week pretending they had lazy eyes and glasses.

Other good ones:

Whoever You Are by Mem Fox (one of my favorite children's authors)
    It's OK To Be Different by Todd Parr

1 person likes this.
  4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1 person likes this.
  6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Thank you! I knew you ladies would have some suggestions. :) I will look into all of those.

Further ideas would still be appreciated.