Storing dress up clothes

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Poohbear05, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

How do you store LO's dress up clothes?? We got a whole bunch for x-mas. Currently I have a 3 drawer tupperware storage thing and I put accessories (shoes, hats, gloves) in the top drawer, tops in the middle and bottoms in the last drawer. I figure they can mix and match the outfits how they want, even if they don't supposed to go together.

Or do you store them by outfit?? My other thought was to hang a bunch of hooks on the wall, and put each outfit on a hanger so that they can see the outfit and how it's supposed to be worn. But that doesn't leave much for creativity I didn't think....

What do you do??

2. Kelly E

Kelly E Well-Known Member

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our plastic toy bin is full of the dress up clothes. It is the little tykes one with hte 2 bins that slide under it, so when i do a full cleaning, i put the shoes in there.

4. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

They each have a bin in their room with their dress up stuff. All the stuff goes in willy nilly, no separation, folding or organization - futile effort as they would constantly be un-organizing it and dumping it all out on the floor. Don't need to make more work for myself. Or more arguments about how they should clean up.

Sometimes they like to get into the other and cross dress, sometimes they mix and match from the boys and girls bins. The results are hilarious and picture worthy. If they shared a room, I'd have them all in the same bin, boys and girls, and not make the distinction, but they have separate rooms, and despite my efforts to remain gender neutral, they have, on their own, developed gender tendencies in their dress up.

5. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

We use a fairly large wooden toy box for their dress-up stuff. Hats and purses are in one of those pop-up hampers. Little purple, pink, blue and green boa feathers are floating all over the house :rolleyes: .

6. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Hannah has a princess suitcase from the Disney Store that we use to store her stuff. That is kept in her closet. Small accessories like jewelry, shoes, etc. go in one of her bins (she has the multi-open bin shelves from Target). Ben has a cloth treasure chest from Ikea that we use to store his stuff.

7. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We just put them all in a big plastic toy box. Any further organization just gets mixed up.

8. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

Your system with the tupperware drawers is really practical, especially since it encourages mixing and matching outfits. Allowing kids to be creative with their dress-up play is so important. Using hooks and hangers is a great idea too, as it helps them see what they have. Maybe a combination of both could work well—hanging some outfits while keeping accessories in drawers. For new outfit ideas, signing up for a modlily email could be a fun way to get inspiration.