stopping prevacid

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ohjojo, Jul 2, 2009.

1. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

at our 9 month check up, the pedi said we could try and stop the prevacid with DD. i was thinking it would probably be ok too, since they are hardly taking bottles now and eating mostly solids... we are on the 3rd day of no meds.

so for those of you who stopped prevacid too soon and had a return of symptoms, how long did it take for you to notice? i know it took around 2 weeks for it to actually start working with DD so i'm not sure if it will take a long time for it to clear her system..

thanks!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We weaned off the Prevacid at about 8-9 months. We had a resurgence of some reflux at about 10 months due to them being so mobile, but it did not last long. GL and I hope you can be med-free.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

I tried taking them both off at 9 months. It worked with Emma, but within about a week or so, Jake was experiencing symptoms again so I put him back on it until 14 months.

4. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

we tried easing our guys back on their dosage because we thought they might not need as much as we were giving them. we noticed their symptoms returned within 48 hours. we tried twice and both times we noticed they were more restless, a little more irritable and their naps were off within 48 hours. it then took another 5 days or so for the resumed dosage to get the symptoms back under control.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have any experience with reflux meds but wanted to wish you good luck! I hope they do really well without them!

6. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

I wish I could be writing this post. My 2 year old is still on meds. Blech. At the twins' 9 month appointment the doctor didn't say anything about stopping meds, we actually moved from a capsule to a solutab of prevacid.

I do remember trying to take my oldest off of prevacid around 9 months, but it was not successful. She was still refluxing, but learned how to swallow it instead of spitting it up.

7. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

just a warning to other reflex mommys, a study was just published that showed PPI inhibitors like prevacid, nexium and prilosec may cause dependency and actually cause a rebound of symptoms upon withdrawal that are worse than the initial symptoms. i'm not trying to freak anyone out, but this was literally just published this week.

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news/20090702/stopping-ppis-causes-acid-reflux-symptoms

the study was conducted in adults but this is what they said about expected results:

8. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

that is an interesting article. i had wondered if the discontinuation of the meds would cause a temporary increase in acid production as the body readjusted itself, i guess it can.. hopefully we won't experience that.

so far we seem to be doing ok, but it looks like we are in the middle of the window of when symptoms should recur if they are going to.

thanks for sharing your experiences!

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Be sure to update us on how they are doing!

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hope they do okay, I haven't hit that point yet but it looks like about 9 months is the common time to try stopping the meds.