stomach virus?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ilovemykids, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

my LO has a 104+ temp and hes complaining his belly hurts. he vommitted at the pedi's office today and they said it was just a virus.

has anyone used coke syrup? when i was a kid i remember taking it when i wasn't feeling well.
    not sure where i could get it or if it would be beneficial.

2. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

104? that's really high. I would keep an eye on him. How long is the virus supposed to last. Never heard of the coke syrup. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have never heard of coke syrup either. I hope your little guy is feeling better soon :hug:

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ginger ale or regular flat-ish coca-cola work to help settle the stomach. But, I'll tell you what the ER told us Sunday: Clear fluids, Gatorade, popsicles, and juice (apple or white grape are best), dye-free medicines, and keep pushing fluids to keep the kiddo from getting dehydrated.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do Gatorade when ours are sick. For some reason they can usually keep it down even if they can't keep anything else down.

6. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

My kids aren't old enough for it yet but we do 7 up or sprite. I have heard of coke syrup but never tried it myself. When I had a recent stomach bug I didn't have any 7 up or sprite but mt dew did the trick. Nothing else worked - not even powerade.

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I still use pedialyte for the little ones. I measure out 5 ml every 5 minutes when they're really dried out, and then just give them little bits at a time when they're able to keep that down. Too much hitting the stomach at once can make them throw up again, so just a little bit at a time and let their body absorb it.

Juice etc to give them some calories but I find it gives them the runs, so we usually stick to the pedialyte. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

8. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Stomach stuff with kids is the WORST. :( We just do a medina syringe of water (flavored with a splash of OJ) whenever they will take it. Probably a few times an hour.

Good luck!

9. ilovemykids

ilovemykids Well-Known Member

TY - he's kept his breakfast down today - was running around, playing and fever was down to 101.4.
    then lunch time came around and he didn't want to eat - he wanted to nap....
    :(
    he is drinking lots of watered down apple juice. he hates pedialyte

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

OH! The ER gave us a recipe for homemade electrolyte drinks: 5 ml of fluid every 1-2 minutes and increase as tolerated

It's in two parts, the concentrations are a bit different in each part

Part 1
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup orange juice
    3 cups water
    mix salt and baking soda in juice, then mix juice with water.

After the first few hours of giving fluids, make part 2.

Part 2
    1/4 teapoon table salt
    1/2 baking soda
    1 cup orange juice
    3 cus water
    mix salt and baking soda in juice, then mix juice with water.