Stomach flu and not drinking enough

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 1stbabies, May 25, 2011.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Hi TS parents ,
    We are very worry about our little one (11mos) who has not recovered from the stomach flu yet and not drinking enough. She got IV for dehydration on sunday. She has not drank her normal amount yet (16oz-14oz each day since then.) This morning she only took in 2 oz so far and back to sleep. (She rejects all liquid.) We worrying about another dehydration IV again, and we are now just watching her and pray! It's her 6 days with this flu and she has stopped vomitting (not on zofran today.)

If you had similar experience, what are the signs for recovering?

Much thanks for the feedbacks always!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ooh, I'd be worried, too. :hug: Can you put liquid in a syringe and give her a tiny amount at a time (like .5 a mL)? I would want to avoid the dehydration IV as well. Will she suck on a popscicle?

When mine are sick I give them different drinks to try- for example, my DH loves Gatoraide and we buy the big mix stuff of it. Mine LOVE the Gatoraide when they are sick (only time they get it).

Poor baby & mama. I hope she wakes and you can get some liquids in her soon. :hug:

3. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I would also try different ways, mine would drink apple juice or sprite. Also we did Popsicle. I figure any liquid is good. Mine rarely get juice and only on special ocassions get pop so they will usually drink those when sick b/c it is a treat. Also you can try fruits with lots of juice in them if she will eat them, like oranges or watermelon.

Hope she feels better soon.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would do a syringe of pedialyte; sometimes drinking a whole bunch at once can prompt them to throw up again, so just do 5 mLs every 5 minutes and see how much you get in her. Poor little thing, stomach flu is awful to recover from.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

Ditto what Rollergiraffe said. Both my girls were on Unflavored Pedialyte for a week & I put just a little apple juice for minimal flavor & they seemed to like it - no formula at all it would just make them vomit & it probably reminded them it made them throw up as well. Poor baby hope she gets better soon.

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with the pp's. I would hold off on the formula and see if they can tolerate the pedialyte/juice. Stomach bugs are no fun. :hug: And if you are ever worried, definitely give a call into the pedi. :hug: I hope she is feeling better soon!

7. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

totallt agree. Syringe and pedialyte. Pedialyte is the only thing can help her the most now. if you breast feed than its fine. But formula will upset her stomach. after stomach flu, her stomach needs time to recover. Our pedi said that if babies have reflux before, when they have stomach flu, reflux might come back for a while. I know you are worried sick. But right now, cals is not important. The importance is to keep her from dehydrated. And pedialyte does the job.

Ever 5 mins, hold her down and inject pedialyte in her mouth then. And give her a mini pedialite bottle to carry around with her. My son has his special mini pedialyte bottle. He only has it when hes sick lol. And its the only thing he allows in his mouth when hes sick!!!!

I hope she feels better soon. Hang in there mama I know its hard. Hugsss!

8. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Thank You all very much for the supports and suggestions!

Our little one finally recovered @ day 10th of the flu with apple juices. We are glad that she is now back to normal - even though she lost 2 lbs from this flu.