Stocking up on clothes for next summer

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sweet_Tara03, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Sweet_Tara03

Sweet_Tara03 Member

HI Everyone I'm still in the first year, but had a question for all of you with older babies. Mine are 7 months now, boy/girl and was wondering what sizes do you think I should buy now for next year. The sales are sometimes too hard to resist. My girl is in the 75th percentile and boy is in the 50th.

Thanks for any input.

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When buying ahead I usually buy 1 size per season. So it depends on what size they are in now and how it fits them. If they are fitting tight already, assume you'll need the next size up for winter, and then the next size up for summer. If they are fitting loose and really big, you can probably stay in the same size through winter and will need a bigger size next spring/summer.

For example my ds is wearing 24 month/2T clothes right now at the end of summer, but they are too big. So for next summer I would buy 3T for him. My dd is wearing 3T clothes right now, again they are a bit big, so I'd buy 4T stuff for next summer.

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I've had mixed results buying ahead. I bought a bunch of stuff on sale last year; the shirts are okay, but for some reason the pants and shoes are huge! I guess my boys only grew in the torso! :lol: I think you're safer erring on the side of buying too big, and buying shirts. Shirts that are too big can be kind of cute with the sleeves rolled up. But shoes that are too big just trip them up, and pants that are too big end up on the ground!

Good luck!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would say stock up on shirts...my two have comfortably been wearing 3T shirts all summer (and they are skinny minnies, 5th percentile for weight and 50% for height) and depending on how things fit your kids...I might wait on the pants. My two are still wearing 18 -24 month shorts and depending on the brand if I put them in 2T shorts, I have roll the waist band over to keep the shorts from falling down. So for me, I'd stock up on shirts and wait on pants. I think if you feel confident in their sizing, then go for it, it can never hurt to take advantage of the awesome end of season sales.

5. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

I agree with pp about just getting shirts. I found out the hard way that, for whatever reason, the pants I bought were just too big and didn't get worn. Now that we're going into fall again, those pants are too small! LOL. Not sure why there is such a difference of fit with shirts and pants but for us there was. HTH!

6. Sweet_Tara03

Sweet_Tara03 Member

Thank you everyone for your help. These are my first children and I am clueless on a lot of things.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Trial and error, you'll pick up on stuff really fast! :)

8. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with mostly getting shirts and just a few pants/shorts. When in doubt, buy a size bigger than you think they'll need since they even if they're too big next summer, hopefully they'll fit the following summer!
    My LOs are similar percentiles--Alex is usually around the 70th and Will around the 50th--and they've both been "true to size" until recently. This summer, I did move them into mostly 24m shirts and one-piece outfits when they were around 18m old, but they're still wearing 18m shorts. I think they have longer torsos and shorter legs, so when stocking up a little for next summer I bought mostly 3T shirts and 2T shorts.

9. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

one other thing to be aware of ... is onesies/body suits vs. shirts... I've gotten to where I don't like the onesies, and yet my ds had to wear some last winter b/c that's what I'd bought the year before on sale for him... for potty training onesies are history, but even just for convenience we tended to start liking shirts before we started potty training. of course that's just preference. just thought I'd mention that as something to be aware of before you go and get "great deals" and then still have tags on clothes you won't wear!

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

OH... and if you do find pants... try to find the ones with adjustable elastic. I love those! ours have always fit into the "age" for their size. So at 24 mo. we are in 2T, though, my both my ds and dd fit waist-wise in much smaller... but then the length is right. so I love the adjustable elastic waists so I can make the shorts/pants fit them around their waist w/o falling off. its even more important now that we're in underwear and their little bums are skinny!

11. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

I buy lots of clothes ahead for next year! Especially when they get older it gets easier. Were your twins born in Jan. ?? My twins were born Jan. 2009 so they were 18 months old this summer. So that seems like it would be very similar to you next summer. They were wearing mostly size 18 mo. this summer...some things were 12-18 (bottoms) some 18-24 (tops). My kids were about the same pecentiles as your too. So that's what I would do: stock up on shirts (18-24) and dresses (18-24) and maybe some shorts on the smaller side. My girls' bathing suits were size 24 month (Children's Place) I think bathing suits tend to run small. HOpe this helps! Target and Children's Place have good stock up sales!

Shannon

12. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

My kids were born in Jan. 2009 so they were 18 months old this summer. They wore mostly 18 mo. clothes and some 24 months. For bathing suits I got size 2T and they fit. I am hoping the bathing suits will also fit them next summer and maybe some of the 2T clothes as well. Hope this helps!

13. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

My daughter who is 15 - 16 months old now can STILL wear size 9 month pants. (Carter elastic waist polar fleece) and she is 50 %. Short legs. Elastic waist is great, if not maybe at least a belt loops and you could put on a belt ?? Tops I find with my daughter I need them LONGER. she is narrow in the shoulders so still size 12 month shirts but needs them LOnGer to hide the belly. They have some nice tops that flare out which are nice. She has a size 24 month top from Walmart that has gathered at the wrist and it flares out, looks great on her.

Pick bold colours. Looks great in pictures. I think I've done better with the elastic waist in the pants. Also, depending on where you live, do you have more warm months or more cooler months. if you live in a cooler climate stock up on pants tops etc, because chances are you will use them. if you live a more warm Florida type of weather you only have winter for say 2 - 3 months and you can get away with less heavier wear. Things like undershirts can be worn as both a second layer in the cold weather and as a shirt in warm weather. The one piece zip up sleepers i find you end up 3 sizes up and still they grow out of them fast. Two peice p.js. seem to last longer.

The problem with dresses is that if they are crawling.... dresses are not fun. You really like them in dresses when they can walk. Jeans are great when they are crawling since they take up the wear. Playing outside I like jeans since they wash up so well. I do find as my girls get older they get more and more personality and really start to pick clothes they love. Luckily with 3 almost the same size they have lots to choose from. At 2.5 yrs old almost 3 I'm getting to the point of almost taking them shopping to choose what they want. i have a more "girlie girl" and one who loves that ocean blue colour which looks great with her platnum blonde hair even if people confuse her for a boy.

I've had great results with Crocks in our house. Even in the winter they can be worn inside with socks. Buying sandles ahead of time hasn't been successful. Have fun shopping....

Heather

14. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

I have the hardest time buying ahead for my kids....especially summer clothes and especially boys stuff! I think boy's shorts are made really long so unless your kids have long legs they end up wearing man-pris. I purchased a pair of shorts (18 months) for my youngest DS for next summer. Got them home and realized they fit my 3.5 yo...so he's wearing them!!!

I also think it depends on the brand. Old Navy seems to run small, but Children's Place runs big. I agree about having a hard time passing up the sales...but sometimes it's just not worth it!

15. Sweet_Tara03

Sweet_Tara03 Member

Wow, you guys are soo awesome!! Thank you so much, this info is so helpful. I did buy some 2T short sets from Target yesteday, couldn't resist at $1/piece for shirts and shorts. Hope they will fit my little girl next year.

16. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My kids were 7 months two years ago and were in 3/6 months clothes for her and 6/9 clothes for him. Last year, they were in 18/24 month, this year 24 month/2T (but still fit 18 months shorts).. They are typically one size behind for bottoms. But yes it depends on the brand too.

I didn't buy anything for next year... I'm thinking they will still fit in most of them, as length really isn't a big issue in Summer.