Still Bleeding after 14 weeks

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by deidra_mitchell00, Mar 21, 2011.

1. deidra_mitchell00

deidra_mitchell00 Active Member

So I had my twins girls 14 weeks ago and I am still bleeding and have not stopped since they came. Has anyone else had this. I know that you can bleed more if you are nursing and eventually you get a period but this is crazy. My husband just got a new job so I don't have insurance and I am scared if I go into the dr something will be wrong. We just paid off all our hospital bills and don't want more.

Any thoughts.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

14 weeks is a long time to still be bleeding. is it bright red blood? is there still a significant amount? or is it pinkish/brown & tapering off?

to be honest, if i were in your shoes, i would go in & get checked.

3. traciwinkler

traciwinkler Well-Known Member

Oh honey, please call your doctor just to make sure all is well. You could easily give your symptoms to the triage nurse and they can tell you whether or not it warrants a trip to see your doctor. At least the phone call wouldn't cost you anything and may give you piece of mind.

I hope all is well and that you take care.

4. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Just agreeing with PPs. Sounds like a long time to me and is definitely worth checking out.

5. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Yeah call your OB office ask to talk to the nurse. It can be normal but can be something... Just call to make sure

I dont want to encourage you not to call...I was bleeding lightly for the first 3-4 months. I had csection and pumped every 2-3 hours for the first 3 months. Plus, I walked alot. It might be the reasons. And I was ok nothing was wrong.

But call your doc office ask...GL!!!

6. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

I bled til my girls were about 3.5 months old then it stoped and i started having my period every month.

went to doc and they said that some women just bleed longer.

they went in and looked at everything, everything was fine, but i did have three dried blood clots from the delivery.

im fine now.

i would say go with your gut, if it doesnt stopi would go and get checked.

7. zanetaya

zanetaya Well-Known Member

I bled that long...actually longer. Till abotu 16 weeks! I remember thinking something was wrong. My Dr. assured me that some women bleed more than others, especially if you nursing. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you do...just call in to the Dr. Did you have 2 placentas? That makes a difference...My girls had seperate placentas and the Dr. said that causes more bleeding from where it tears away from the uterine wall.

8. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

I bled for about the first 12 weeks which was way longer than my singleton. I mentioned it to my OB and he pretty much said what the PP have said. He said the more active I was the longer I would bleed. I just started taking it a little easier...as much as you can with three kids and it eventually just quit.

You should call just for peace of mind.

9. BabiesSchaef

BabiesSchaef Member

I'm sure that this is not the case for every woman that bleeds for a prolonged period of time, and I certainly don't want to scare you, but my advice would be to go get checked out. I bled for a little more than 10 weeks with my first child. I thought it was odd because it would be heavy then taper off, then be heavy again, then taper off. I finally went into my OB when I developed some back pain and headaches. An ultrasound of my uterus at that time revealed that a portion of my placenta was inadvertently left behind and had become necrotic. Had the problem gone on much longer, I may have had major problems at that time and compromised my ability to have any additional kids. I was super paranoid after having the twins that it may happen again, but all went well and I stopped bleeding in under 2 weeks! I know it is scary and I felt silly going in, but it was definitely the right choice. Best of Luck